[Added Jason Essex] 2022 Class Breakdown

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Cyclone4L, what do you know about Tyler Moore and what his football prospects are? This kid was lean at 240 pounds in high school, could be a monster. And he runs the 40 in 4.7-something. Thanks.
He's in the 250s now. I think he is going to be a really good piece in the receiving game due to his size-speed-athleticism combo. Really needs to work on his blocking to get snaps though. Hopefully we see him a bit next year, but definitely the year after.

Reactions: CyValley

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Should I do the HOK recruits?
HOK COMMITS! (The abridged version)

QB Carson May
NCAA 14 Rating: 67 NCAA 14 Potential: 88
Thoughts: Reminds me of Nate Stanley, but more mobile. Weird throwing motion/mechanics. He'll ride behind Labas.

RB Jaziun Patterson
NCAA 14 Rating: 63 NCAA 14 Potential: 84
Thoughts: He looks good running with the ball, but I have concerns about his strength playing in the big ten. There's another aspect that I'm questioning... but I am not going to go there.

RB Kaleb Johnson
NCAA 14 Rating: 71 NCAA 14 Potential: 90
Thoughts: I wanted him to be a Cyclone. I think he will be a good running back. I have questions about his top end speed at the college level.

WR Jacob Bostick
NCAA 14 Rating: 68 NCAA 14 Potential: 88
Thoughts: Good looking receiver, needs to get better at separating from DBs. Will be tough to find playing time behind Brecht, Bruce and Johnson (especially if Brecht stays).

TE Cael Vanderbush
NCAA 12 Rating: 69 NCAA 12 Potential: 93
Thoughts: Didn't watch his tape until today. Yea, he's really good. Only big negative is he uses his body alot to catch.

TE Addison Ostrenga
NCAA 12 Rating: 64 NCAA 12 Potential: 85
Thoughts: Baseball player. Not great at creating separation, not the best blocker either. I think we are looking at a future linebacker here.

OT Kale Krogh
NCAA 12 Rating: 67 NCAA 12 Potential: 93
Thoughts: I love his athleticism, physicality and his movement; however I think he hips could be an issue. That is why ISU didn't offer. If he is a guard in a zone scheme, I don't think it will matter. Very much a boom or bust kind of guy.

OT Jack Dotzler
NCAA 14 Rating: 69 NCAA 14 Potential: 91
Thoughts: Really solid tackle that gets great leverage and drives well. Not much of a mauler. One of the few ISU recruits that got away.

DE Aaron Graves
NCAA 14 Rating: 76 NCAA 14 Potential: 96
Thoughts: Crazy Athleticism and will be a really good DT for HOK. I want to see how he does against top competition instead of Iowa farm boys.

DE Caden Crawford
NCAA 14 Rating: 68 NCAA 14 Potential: 88
Thoughts: He a really solid Edge player, the kind that HOK love and turn into pros, but I don't see that special spark here. I think he would make a GREAT tight end though; has the perfect build for it.

LB Jayden Montgomery
NCAA 12 Rating: 66 NCAA 12 Potential: 85
Thoughts: He's hard nosed and a good run fitter however, he's small and slow. That makes him a liability in coverage. Miniature Josey Jewell

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I think Beau Freyler is going to be the guy that makes the most impact this year amongst the incoming freshman. I believe he will be the other gunner on punts/kickoffs with Rory Walling. I think Brown will be a 2nd draft pick by the end of his career at Iowa State. Needs some time with Coach Andrews and Coach Rasheed. Btw...Coach Rasheed doesn't get enough credit. He's done a hell of job.
This has proven to be VERY accurate

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Cartevious Norton
Position: RB
Height: 5’11"
Weight: 210lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 68
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 92
Player Comparison: Royce Freeman/Nick Chubb
Significant Impact: Unknown. Cartevious is a workhorse back and ISU usually has one back who is "the guy." Next year, it will probably Jirehl and the year after, who knows?
Attributes: [20/20] [balance][0-60]
Areas of Improvement: Top End Speed.
Thoughts:
Wowsers, we found another guy that can play.
Most of you are probably thinking, "why the heck are we recruiting against teams like Northern Illinois and Georgia State for a running back???"
Well, there's a good reason. Cartevious was seriously injured his Sophomore and Junior years of highschool; He missed most of both seasons.
He was not able to put up the stats and the tape that you would hope for from a D1 caliber running back. However, we liked what we saw from the limited tape and offered him anyway.
Lucky for Norton, he was able to remain healthy his senior year and he was very impressive. So impressive that Clemson and other Blue bloods started to take notice.
Let's talk about how he plays as a running back. He has the three tools that ISU looks for in EVERY back that they recruit (if they don't have them, we don't pursue).
1. Cartevious has great vision. He is great at seeing the holes before they develop and finding cut back lanes instead of always bouncing it outside.
2. He has ELITE balance and agility for his size. Does he have the best moves and spins? No. But the balance he has on his cuts once he finds the hole will help him to be a good P5 running back.
3. His acceleration is no joke. He is able to get to his top speed within a couple steps.This is the unsung trait that Breece has that makes him SOOOOO deadly. The patience and vision of Breece are talked ad nauseam (as they should), but his 0-60 helps him to be great just as much. Cartevious does the same.
I think we go a really good player here. He is also a tough runner that will break tackles and run over people. If he is able to grow an extra step in his speed, he will be the next running back to head to the NFL under Campbell.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Jason Essex
Position: WR
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 200lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 68
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 88
Player Comparison: La'Michael Pettway
Significant Impact: RS So. Skill players are always interesting. Either they burst onto the scene early, or they get stuck in skill player purgatory and have to fight for every down. I think Jason will be one of the guys that sits two years then gets some PT when the offense needs a physical receiver for 3rd downs.
Attributes: [Downhill] [Ram]
Areas of Improvement: Top End Speed. Routerunning
Thoughts:
One of the most underrated players of the past decade was La'Michael Pettway. That dude was so physical, he was automatic on 3rd down plays and really kept us from having a losing season that year.
Jason Essex is a very similar player to La'Michael Pettway. He is a big, strong and athletic receiver that may not have the most polished routes, but he can body a dude when he needs to.
Jason also runs very well with the ball in his hands. His movement mixed with his size is what earned him all of the offers that he has and the four star rating by ESPN.
i am curious about just how high his ceiling is. It will really depend on if he can sure up his routerunning and add an extra gear to his speed.
In other classes, he would be the dude! But in the class of 2022, hes a member of a STACKED wide receiver core.