2023 Football Targets (Offer List in OP +3)

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Butte College is in Oroville, CA—Butte County. This article was Butte Montana. They’re…a little ways apart.
My bad. I saw Pleasant Valley HS in the roster but no state, and searched on Montana, where there is a school named that.

Searching on California, I wonder if Tanner Hughes is related to Joe Hughes and Joe Hughes's younger brother Tim, who both later played QB at Wyoming and Northwestern, respectively, after playing at Butte College (which seems somewhat likely).

Chico >> When Joe Hughes first approached a Butte College football practice in 1990, he was intimidated. Coming from Gridley, Hughes was accustomed to playing on teams with about 16 or 17 players. At Butte, a roster well over 100 featured players locally and from all over the nation.

“You’ve got kids from all over, Florida, New York — they’ve got kids from everywhere and that speaks volumes for what the coaches have done to put them on the map,” Hughes said. “They’re not just coming here to go to the Bear in Chico, they want to have a chance to get a shot at the next level. Butte gives you that.”

Now, the former standout quarterback for the Roadrunners who later went on to play for the University of Wyoming, is part of this year’s class in the Butte Athletic Hall of Fame. ... His younger brother Tim Hughes was also part of this year’s hall of fame class.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
My bad. I saw Pleasant Valley HS in the roster but no state, and searched on Montana, where there is a school named that.

Searching on California, I wonder if Tanner Hughes is related to Joe Hughes and Joe Hughes's younger brother Tim, who both later played QB at Wyoming and Northwestern, respectively, after playing at Butte College (which seems somewhat likely).

Yes, a paragraph from that same article:

His [Joe's] younger brother Tim also was a quarterback who went from Butte to Northwestern and played in the Rose Bowl and the Citrus Bowl. Hughes’ son Brandt is the Roadrunners’ backup quarterback this season. His youngest son, Tanner, a junior at Pleasant Valley High, plays quarterback.

• Informative

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
On a whim, I thought I’d check it out.

And sure enough, from a simple search, Tim Hughes was at Northwestern the same time as Chris Hamdorf from Iowa City. I knew Chris's younger brother.

NU names Hughes starting quarterback--again
Aug 19, 1997 at 12:00 am
By Rick Morrissey and Tribune Staff Writer
Chicago Tribune

Hughes beat out another fifth-year senior, Chris Hamdorf, for the starting job. The Wildcats play Saturday against Oklahoma in the Pigskin Classic at Soldier Field, and if Hughes has his way, it will be the start of something beautiful.
If not, Hamdorf will be there waiting. He will play the first series in the second and fourth quarters of each game. Head coach Gary Barnett insists the move has nothing to do with covering his bases should Hughes stumble, but it does raise all sorts of interesting questions. …

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Am I the only person wondering why we offered a JC quarterback? At least, I THINK it’s for this fall. I guess we can use the depth, with only 3 scholarship QB’s.

‘22 stats weren’t bad, 23 TD’s 3 INT 60% COMP.

ol

Bill Seals is reporting him as committed and reporting with the rest of the players this weekend, though I’m not seeing confirmation anywhere else yet.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Bill Seals is reporting him as committed and reporting with the rest of the players this weekend, though I’m not seeing confirmation anywhere else yet.
uh oh issues with dekkers incoming?!?!?1

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I decided that I should add a footnote to this class.

There were what appears to be four scholarship safeties signed in this class, all of whom have a quite reasonable degree of potential.

However, in the days leading up to the first game of the season, it’s an unheralded true freshman walkon safety who is sparking a great deal of comment. So I think it’s only fair to note him here. Drew Surges.

We’ll all see how this kid pans out over the next few years.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I decided that I should add a footnote to this class.

There were what appears to be four scholarship safeties signed in this class, all of whom have a quite reasonable degree of potential.

However, in the days leading up to the first game of the season, it’s an unheralded true freshman walkon safety who is sparking a great deal of comment. So I think it’s only fair to note him here. Drew Surges.

We’ll all see how this kid pans out over the next few years.

He saw some action on special teams against UNI. Had offers from Army, Navy, and Notre Dame.... College. Notre Dame College.

• Informative

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
It’s interesting to look at this class after 1 full regular season in review. Many here (no fault to them) were quick to point out that if not for JJ Kohl bolstering the overall ranking, this would actually be one of the lower rated and less impressive of Campbell’s class. With 1 season under the belt, 6 true freshmen saw time in a starting role, and a few had major impacts. And importantly, only one team on ISU’s schedule clearly out-talented ISU. If anything, despite all the youth, ISU clearly out-talented everyone but Iowa, Texas, OU, KU, and KSU.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
It’s interesting to look at this class after 1 full regular season in review. Many here (no fault to them) were quick to point out that if not for JJ Kohl bolstering the overall ranking, this would actually be one of the lower rated and less impressive of Campbell’s class. With 1 season under the belt, 6 true freshmen saw time in a starting role, and a few had major impacts. And importantly, only one team on ISU’s schedule clearly out-talented ISU. If anything, despite all the youth, ISU clearly out-talented everyone but Iowa, Texas, OU, KU, and KSU.
I’d make the debate the only teams that out talented them were OU and UT. Everyone else just made plays when they had too. Except KSU. **** purple Kansas

Reactions: Malty Flannel

Help Support Us

Become a patron