2024 Iowa's Best Burger announced

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I always keep in mind that awards like this, and frankly almost all awards in general, are completely subjective and arbitrary. They don't mean anything unless you choose to give them value.
I just use it as a guide post for interesting places to possibly check out if traveling through the area. The 2021 winner for example is pretty close to me, and I'd never once heard anyone talk about them having great burgers. But we went for supper and it was a pretty damn good burger. Best in Iowa? Hell, I'm not sure it was the best in that county. But I'm glad I tried it.

Reactions: RollClones14

CueTheMusic

Aug 16, 2010
JJ's Tavern in Ankeny is pretty new and their burgers are great, as is the service there. I can't say it is the best burger I've ever had, but the best I've had at a restaurant in Ankeny. We've been back multiple times since they've opened and it's a pretty great option for a meal.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Went to JJs once, tiny cozy place but great bar and good people. Owner chatted us up and such. However... I didn't get a burger there! Guess I'll be going back.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Stopped at the place that won in Ossian that won a few weeks ago and it was.....a burger? I guess. It was fine but it certainly wasn't anything I'll go out of my way to get again.
Same. Stopped there a couple of weeks ago. It was good.Probably not one of the best I've had. Probably top 10. percent. I'd have it again.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
In Ankeny, we liked Ben's Burgers a heck of a lot, but I was sad to hear that they closed. I thought they made one of the better fast food style smash burgers that I've had.

• Agree
Reactions: kkise

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
Stopped at the place that won in Ossian that won a few weeks ago and it was.....a burger? I guess. It was fine but it certainly wasn't anything I'll go out of my way to get again.
It was their "veggie burger" that won, which is just a regular burger with lettuce and tomato. This was around the time everyone was cranky about impossible meats and the impossible whopper, so I'm guessing the beef council was yucking it up over the "veggie" vs actually judging the best burger.

And thats fine. As other have mentioned this is a Iowa Beef PR event, not a Michelin Star rating. Just take the results with a grain of salt.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
It's packed all the time now. It's pretty small inside. They might want to relocate...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It was their "veggie burger" that won, which is just a regular burger with lettuce and tomato. This was around the time everyone was cranky about impossible meats and the impossible whopper, so I'm guessing the beef council was yucking it up over the "veggie" vs actually judging the best burger.

And thats fine. As other have mentioned this is an Iowa Beef PR event, not a Michelin Star rating. Just take the results with a grain of salt.
I was with my mom at Mayo. Went searching for something besides the food court in the underground area. Found a Dairy Queen and ordered the veggie burger. Found out it was not what I was used to. It was a burger from everything but meat. In small town Iowa, a veggie burger means burger with vegetable toppings.

Reactions: DrClone

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
If you've never had a burger at the Copper Lantern in Sigourney,

19874cf7-62ee-431c-97f3-ea94e51f1d2a.jpeg

or one at Dino's in Washington,

2017-07-26.jpg

you are not qualified to judge a good burger.

• Winner
Reactions: chadly82 and Kinch

Help Support Us

Become a patron