2024 Stock Talk - Who Are You Betting On?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I've got GOOG & GOOGL, SHOP, and VKTX humming along well to start the year. I see PLL, EVRI, and ALT having a strong 2024.

Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Just recently discovered JEPI, I've put about 10% of my Roth funds in that ETF. Other than that, the only other single stock i own is O, which sucked last year. Bought bonds for the first time last year. About 6 years out from retirement, so I'm pretty conservative. A lot of Vanguard 2030, S&P 500, AOR, Vanguard High Dividend Yield, etc.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
I've got GOOG & GOOGL, SHOP, and VKTX humming along well to start the year. I see PLL, EVRI, and ALT having a strong 2024.
I'm with you on SHOP and VKTX, though I think I'm about to be out on VKTX as my $17 calls (sold for $4.XX) are likely to be called at their Feb expiry. Oh well, with a $2.80 CB that one turned out alright.

I think AVDL could be solid in 2024 as they gain market share with their narcolepsy drug. TGTX could also be a 2024 darling with the recent news on FDA AE concerns from Ocrevus and recent news of a deepening pipeline (partnership with DTIL). Also waiting patiently for the story to play out on IBRX and IOVA; looking to start adding to PHAT before the July PDUFA. Was excited for AVXL, but with their data on Rett I'm just holding.

Outside of biotech world I'm waiting for JBL to come down a little, bought in May and sold out on the October spike. Really like the company, but I just couldn't turn down that kind of return in only a few months - hoping I didn't let the golden goose fly away. Have also been looking to beaten down high yield stocks - PFE and USB come to mind.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Just recently discovered JEPI, I've put about 10% of my Roth funds in that ETF. Other than that, the only other single stock i own is O, which sucked last year. Bought bonds for the first time last year. About 6 years out from retirement, so I'm pretty conservative. A lot of Vanguard 2030, S&P 500, AOR, Vanguard High Dividend Yield, etc.

I've been holding JEPI since May '23. It's paid a number of dividends but the price is now lower than I paid in May so my total return so far is like under 1%. I really expected a lot more from this, but I'll be patient and hope it starts moving.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I have always held a decent % of internationals. And they have been killing my returns for like 10 years. It would be nice if they finally turned a corner and took leadership for a while.

It kinda bugs me that the "dumb" just buy US stocks has done so much better than the "smart" diversify and hold some internationals... but here I am being "smart".

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I've been holding JEPI since May '23. It's paid a number of dividends but the price is now lower than I paid in May so my total return so far is like under 1%. I really expected a lot more from this, but I'll be patient and hope it starts moving.
Without knowing anything about JEPI, I'm not sure how much return you should expect from a fund like that.
As long as the dividend payout remains high, and they don't raise expenses, you're probably doing good.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
I'm with you on SHOP and VKTX, though I think I'm about to be out on VKTX as my $17 calls (sold for $4.XX) are likely to be called at their Feb expiry. Oh well, with a $2.80 CB that one turned out alright.

I think AVDL could be solid in 2024 as they gain market share with their narcolepsy drug. TGTX could also be a 2024 darling with the recent news on FDA AE concerns from Ocrevus and recent news of a deepening pipeline (partnership with DTIL). Also waiting patiently for the story to play out on IBRX and IOVA; looking to start adding to PHAT before the July PDUFA. Was excited for AVXL, but with their data on Rett I'm just holding.

Outside of biotech world I'm waiting for JBL to come down a little, bought in May and sold out on the October spike. Really like the company, but I just couldn't turn down that kind of return in only a few months - hoping I didn't let the golden goose fly away. Have also been looking to beaten down high yield stocks - PFE and USB come to mind.
How are people positioning after Q1 earnings?

I ended up swinging my covered call position with VKTX around their early oral data to be "even" and still retain a handful of shares. Though I no longer have a large enough position to trade options in the name.

IBRX has been up hugely the last week after not one but TWO FDA nods in hard to treat cancers (bladder/NSCLC), IOVA has also been on a tear this spring.

At this point I'm selling slightly OTM covered calls on IOVA and most of my IBRX position. I'm kind of nervous for a rug pull in small-bios after the big spring, especially in an election year with FED uncertainty. Hoping to be on the sidelines with my heavier mid/small-bio positions by mid-June (post-ASCO) at the latest.

Have been adding to beaten down high yield names: VZ, PFE, BMY, KSS, CRI, NTR and nibbling on some tech plays after they've dipped a bit: SNOW, SHOP. JBL, AVGO, CSCO, CSPR, IBM, INTC. Sold my small position in PHAT when price action started to turn and after more DD revealed I didn't want to go heavy/long. Haven't added to TGTX either, though if it doesn't pop on earnings and my sold CCs free up some cash, I will probably start to nibble again at these levels.

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
Yeah, the "rug pull in small-bios" can be brutal. Current bio lottery tickets include:

VKTX (that was fun!)
IOVA
ENTA
MDWD
IBRX

Rug pulls:
RVNC
DTIL

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
Yeah, the "rug pull in small-bios" can be brutal. Current bio lottery tickets include:

VKTX (that was fun!)
IOVA
ENTA
MDWD
IBRX

Rug pulls:
RVNC
DTIL
What are your thoughts on RVNC? I have a small position and have an urge to take a larger bite. I know there is the Botox lawsuit as well as cash burn concerns, but then the CEO bought $200,000 worth of shares at ~$6 which given the nearly 50% haircut since has me thinking it might be about bottomed out.

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
What are your thoughts on RVNC? I have a small position and have an urge to take a larger bite. I know there is the Botox lawsuit as well as cash burn concerns, but then the CEO bought $200,000 worth of shares at ~$6 which given the nearly 50% haircut since has me thinking it might be about bottomed out.

Execution since the Daxiffy approvals has been terrible. Management spends like drunk sailors but maybe they'll come to their senses. I think they expected to dominate the botox market without doing any work. It's still a valuable asset. I was thinking about averaging down. Maybe after the next CC.

Last edited:
Reactions: frackincygy