AA illegal substitution penalty

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I'll give the staff a little slack for not being on top of everything for one play in light of just having survived what could have been a major disaster. At least they didn't burn a redshirt for one useless play late in the season.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I was too busy thinking "DON'T PULL TILLER'S REDSHIRT!!!" to be thinking about who was and wasn't legal on the field...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Fans that had any remote concern that Gene would pull Tiller's redshirt really don't have much faith in the guy - as it would've been a ******** move of epic failure.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Fans that had any remote concern that Gene would pull Tiller's redshirt really don't have much faith in the guy - as it would've been a ******** move of epic failure.

The sequence of events that occurred on that play did not suggest full brain function of somebody. There are a lot of coaches on that sideline that were a mere 15 ft from AA and he's kinda hard to miss. At least 1 of them was just at his side when he was on the ground seconds before the penalization.

Middle schoolers have to come out a play if they require medical attention from the sideline. As in basketball and presumably baseball.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but its just another guy running into a goalpost in a season full of goalposts.

Reactions: Clonefan94

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but its just another guy running into a goalpost in a season full of goalposts.

This gets my vote for quote of the year! Now excuse me while I clean the soda off of my monitor. :biglaugh:

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
It looked like about a 14-15 man huddle. When we broke, we had at least that many guys on the field. I didn't even realize AA was out there.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

We've seen it before with our last coach.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Wasn't the "huddle" just a big bunch of guys (including coaches) on the sideline? I don't remember a traditional huddle.

I would also like to here from the coaches -- though just from curiosity. Did they try to sneak in a trick play? Did AA just mess up because he wasn't all there? Did they do it on purpose for some obscure reason?

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Would have been even more incentive to transfer, IMO.

Could you explain? Bates (or his father) said he wasn't happy that Bates redshirt was burned last year for just a few games. It seems to me that Bates might still be here if he had a year of separation between himself and Arnaud.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Could you explain? Bates (or his father) said he wasn't happy that Bates redshirt was burned last year for just a few games. It seems to me that Bates might still be here if he had a year of separation between himself and Arnaud.

I thought about asking the same thing. I thought, even without what Bates and his father said, that knowing you have two years at the starting job, after AA is done, would have been more incentive to stay. Playing right away is great, if you are a superstar, but I would rather see the traditional way of getting a quarterback into the starting spot. Two or 3 years to learn the system and 2 years as an exceptional starter. If his goal was to play quarterback and quarterback alone, personally, I believe, as I think you do, the redshirt would have kept him around.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Was Bates EVER redshirted last year? He played sparingly, but in most games. I didn't know a redshirt was ever in the picture.

Regardless, you don't have to redshirt your freshman year - so I don't see how it was "burned".

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Was Bates EVER redshirted last year? He played sparingly, but in most games. I didn't know a redshirt was ever in the picture.

Regardless, you don't have to redshirt your freshman year - so I don't see how it was "burned".

You can be given a redshirt whenever it's deemed. He had a redshirt available and we chose not to use it (burn) in favor of him playing sparingly. I consider it a burned shirt since he wasn't seeing consistent minutes in the position he was here to play. I consider that a burned redshirt.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
You can be given a redshirt whenever it's deemed. He had a redshirt available and we chose not to use it (burn) in favor of him playing sparingly. I consider it a burned shirt since he wasn't seeing consistent minutes in the position he was here to play. I consider that a burned redshirt.

I guess my point was that if PB wanted to RS, it wasn't eliminated as an option this year, or next. At least by rule.

Heck, our volleyball coach redshirted her junior year at NU instead of sitting behind an All-American. It's not unheard of.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Never seemed to me that there was a plan to redshirt Bates in '07. I think his dad was searching for excuses and someone to pin it on - when in reality, his son is a great athlete - but was unable to beat AA for the QB job.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Wasn't it made exceedingly clear by Philip that he was to play as a true freshman or he was leaving? I thought that was the case -- am I misrememering? The whining about losing a redshirt (which he could still take) I thought was exclusively from his father.

Maybe I'm just adding confusion.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Never seemed to me that there was a plan to redshirt Bates in '07. I think his dad was searching for excuses and someone to pin it on - when in reality, his son is a great athlete - but was unable to beat AA for the QB job.

To add to that, from what I've heard on this site the only thing that kept Tiller from beating out Bates was Tiller's redshirt...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
To add to that, from what I've heard on this site the only thing that kept Tiller from beating out Bates was Tiller's redshirt...

Actually, according to some on this site, the only thing keeping Tiller from beating out Arnaud was Tiller's redshirt. :skeptical:

Next thing we know, he'll be going after Favre.

Help Support Us

Become a patron