Alaska Cruise

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don’t believe anyone here recommended helicopter ride to glacier yet. A friend went, very memorable. Highly recommendEd by her. She rode sitting next to the pilot, heck of a view. Walking on glacier should be on bucket list.

The worst for me was long, long flight home. Minor turbulence, felt safe, but seat belt light on too long. Passengers, me included, needed restroom break and just unbuckled and went, en mass.

Deciding side of ship to cabin on, seemed unneccesssary as ship circled around so both sides could see “calving“ of glacier. We didn’t see much action, but you could hear the sounds.

Went several years ago, brought rain gear top and bottom, never wore. Took winter coat and light jacket. It was hot when we went, rarely needed jacket.
We also took rain gear and never used it, I wore my winter jacket a couple of times while setting on the balcony at night, but outside of that, we really overpacked with cold weather gear that we hardly ever used. We looked into the helicopter tour, and it was priced about $450 a person, no way I am paying that much for an hour or two over a glacier.

Overall, the tours in Alaska were about twice what we pay in the Caribbean, the cruise would have been, but we purchased it when Carnival had a half price sell, so we only paid $2600 for the 10 days instead of $5200 that one of the other couples we were with paid.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I don’t believe anyone here recommended helicopter ride to glacier yet. A friend went, very memorable. Highly recommendEd by her. She rode sitting next to the pilot, heck of a view. Walking on glacier should be on bucket list.

The worst for me was long, long flight home. Minor turbulence, felt safe, but seat belt light on too long. Passengers, me included, needed restroom break and just unbuckled and went, en mass.

Deciding side of ship to cabin on, seemed unneccesssary as ship circled around so both sides could see “calving“ of glacier. We didn’t see much action, but you could hear the sounds.

Went several years ago, brought rain gear top and bottom, never wore. Took winter coat and light jacket. It was hot when we went, rarely needed jacket.
So how many people can fit in an airplane lavatory? :p

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
While the helicopter ride was expensive, they landed on the ice, no snow, bare ice. They walked on the pretty blue ice and drank it‘s pure “old” water. Saw water running into holes as deep as the glacier, some scary wide and likely bottomless.

My friend said flying over and seeing the glaciers fading away was a moving experience.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We've been having this big discussion on sea sickness and whether to get the patch or take medicine for prevention. We are going next month. I'm leaning not to. I've been on a couple deep see fishing tours and never got sick unlike others that did. My favorite ride was the Silly Silo.

Some people say that since we are pretty much going to along the shore on the boat instead of the middle of the ocean, that the rocking/swaying is pretty minimal.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Alaska is awesome. My mom took me and my friend when we were kids to help clean up the Exon Valdez oil spill. Which sucked as a 14 year old. I didn't understand the importance at the time. We went to Denali and stayed in Denali national park. It's so badass. I would suggest waiting to you are old to go to Alaska. Kids don't understand how cool it really is up in that area. Also went to Homer and Alyeska.

Reactions: IASTATE07 and NWICY

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
We've been having this big discussion on sea sickness and whether to get the patch or take medicine for prevention. We are going next month. I'm leaning not to. I've been on a couple deep see fishing tours and never got sick unlike others that did. My favorite ride was the Silly Silo.

Some people say that since we are pretty much going to along the shore on the boat instead of the middle of the ocean, that the rocking/swaying is pretty minimal.
Buy the patches on Amazon and start with them; you won't be the only one on the ship using them. If you feel OK after a few days, stop using them. It's the same thing with Dramamine; buy a small bottle to take with, so if you need it, you have it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Alaska is awesome. My mom took me and my friend when we were kids to help clean up the Exon Valdez oil spill. Which sucked as a 14 year old. I didn't understand the importance at the time. We went to Denali and stayed in Denali national park. It's so badass. I would suggest waiting to you are old to go to Alaska. Kids don't understand how cool it really is up in that area. Also went to Homer and Alyeska.

This is a interesting story. Did she have a job with a clean up company or did she volunteer for the summer and took you along? Sounds pretty darn amazing either way.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

We take either the patches or the pill form with us, my wife and I have never used them, but the wife of the other couple we cruise with does from time to time. The waters up to Alaska are going to be rougher than sailing in the, Caribbean, so depending on the port you are sailing out of Seattle or SF, you may need it when longer out of SF.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We take either the patches or the pill form with us, my wife and I have never used them, but the wife of the other couple we cruise with does from time to time. The waters up to Alaska are going to be rougher than sailing in the, Caribbean, so depending on the port you are sailing out of Seattle or SF, you may need it when longer out of SF.
We are flying to Vancouver and taking the train up to Anchorage. We will sail back to Vancouver.

• Informative
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
We had the opposite actually. Cruise from the Virgin Islands to Bahamas was way worse than Alaska.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Never been on a cruise, but got some patches for a trip years ago and they messed with my head. I was low-key hallucinating in the middle of the night. Not a good trip, pun intended

I just stick to Dramamine from then on out.

• Informative

jcharbs

Aug 27, 2017

We sailed from Vancouver to Seward last July and took Dramamine along but neither of us had to use it. It was a fairly smooth trip since you aren't very far from land.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We sailed from Vancouver to Seward last July and took Dramamine along but neither of us had to use it. It was a fairly smooth trip since you aren't very far from land.
How was sailing out of Vancouver? We went out of SF because we wanted to spend more time on the boat and to see SF since none of us had ever been there. We all enjoyed Alaska, but the towns they stop at are very small, hated the cold temps at night, and while it was great seeing glaciers and the mountains, they got old after a week. Much prefer the warm waters of the Caribbean.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado

When we were on the inside passage, there were no issues. We did spend an entire day at sea west of all of the islands and it was pretty rough with the rocking. If you're staying "inside", I think you'll be fine.

jcharbs

Aug 27, 2017
How was sailing out of Vancouver? We went out of SF because we wanted to spend more time on the boat and to see SF since none of us had ever been there. We all enjoyed Alaska, but the towns they stop at are very small, hated the cold temps at night, and while it was great seeing glaciers and the mountains, they got old after a week. Much prefer the warm waters of the Caribbean.
Vancouver was awesome. We landed fairly early, so we had a day to spend there before departure. I could have spent a few more days there.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
We sailed out of Seattle so less time on the boat which was fine with us. Stopped in Juneau, Ketchikan, Saskatchewan and Victoria. Loved walking around exploring the ports and being able to sleep with the balcony door open at night with the cool air, too hot and humid to do that in the Caribbean.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron