Any advice for visiting K-State fan

c-fro

Nov 17, 2018
When I bought tickets I was really hoping KSU was going to be a lot better than what they are this year, but putting that aside I am trying to visit each stadium in the conference and I have tried to make it to Ames for the last 3 games and I finally get a chance too. Looking for advice and recommendations for a family with elementary age children on places to eat and must see things around Ames.
Also looking for advice and parking for the game?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to visiting this weekend for Farmageddon.

• Friendly
Reactions: oldman and Spanky

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
When I bought tickets I was really hoping KSU was going to be a lot better than what they are this year, but putting that aside I am trying to visit each stadium in the conference and I have tried to make it to Ames for the last 3 games and I finally get a chance too. Looking for advice and recommendations for a family with elementary age children on places to eat and must see things around Ames.

Most people will tell you to eat at Hickory Park, as something that's a "must do". It's a staple of Ames. It's a family BBQ restaurant with lots of menu options, huge portions, and good prices. There are some BBQ purists that won't recommend it, but Hickory Park is a good place for a family to eat if you want something local. Expect big crowds on game day, but the place is huge and they do a pretty good job moving people in and out.

Most people are surprised by the BBQ scene in the Ames/Ankeny/Des Moines area, but it is quite good. There are lots of options (Jethro's in Ames would be one example) if you like BBQ.

As far as "must see" things in Ames, there aren't many. Reimann gardens right next to the stadium might be something good for the family; if you like flowers and butterflies.

On game day, you can check out the pre-game show by the marching band at the Alumni Center just northwest of the stadium. Tailgating lots will be packed so if you like to do that, get there early, get a spot, and set up your grill. In terms of parking, if we aren't tailgating, we like to park at the Veterinary College lots southeast of the stadium off of 16th street. It's a little less hassle on game day if you're not looking to tailgate. If you want to tailgate, I always liked the haunted forest lots northeast of the stadium off of S 4th St.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Also, check out the information about Jack Trice near the East entrance to the stadium (inside the gates). It's a remarkable story that most people in the Big XII, let alone the country, don't know about. It's something very unique to ISU.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Welcome.

I apologize in advance for what your kids might hear. This fanbase is pretty feisty about K State after that fiasco last year and will probably be pretty cranked up.

Make sure you tour around Central Campus. Iowa State has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.

Hickory Park is a popular restaurant but be aware that it will be extremely busy on game day. (This thread will now become a debate on the merits of Hickory Park.) Great Plains Sauce and Dough Company is a unique pizza place if you like thick crust pizza. They serve honey to dip your crust in.

You might want to take some time to visit Reiman Gardens just south of the stadium although it is probably better earlier in the year.

Reactions: Doc and TXCyclones

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
For food, if you want a big meal for a decent price I would do Hickory Park (regardless of how many posters on here will refute this). There are some other good local options like Jethro's, Wallaby's, or West Towne Pub.

The young kids may like a place like Perfect Games (bowling, arcade games, etc).

As for parking on game day (others may have other suggestions), but I would most definitely suggest parking in one of the grass lots, or Vet Med lot for $20. Pretty close to the stadium with no worries of a ticket or being towed. They are lots G2-G3, G4-G5, and lot 93. If it ends up raining this weekend, these lots may be limited/restricted.

On game day there are usually a few kid-friendly things to do near the stadium (north side), otherwise just stop by any ISU tailgate and visit.... people will undoubtedly offer you food & beverages.

Hope you have a good time!

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I second the apologies in advance for what you might here since we are still a little bit salty about losing last year to you guys but you shouldn't hear to much if you are with children. I would recommend Perfect Game as well with kids and Hickory Park even though eventually this thread will get derailed with people who hate it. I don't know where your seats are or if you have boys but most of us have memories of playing a pick up game on the hill of the stadium as kids. Something pretty unique to ISU. Since it's going to be cold there probably will be room to throw the ball around.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I also would like to extend a welcome and apologies for what will be said on Saturday. We want nothing than to drive a stake through that vampire to revenge years of heartache and especially after last year. Campbell won't do it but the fans would love to see this as 100-0 ISU.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

Parking is going to be tough. I would strongly recommend you park in the lots in Coralville Mall and shuttle over to the stadium from there.

They have also moved kick-off to 11 am. If you get there by 9 you should be able to make it to the stadium with out much hassle.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Parking is going to be tough. I would strongly recommend you park in the lots in Coralville Mall and shuttle over to the stadium from there.

They have also moved kick-off to 11 am. If you get there by 9 you should be able to make it to the stadium with out much hassle.

XBx.gif

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Have fun!

Don’t be offended if we hate your team and your coach. Last year still stings and I refuse to acknowledge that game as a loss.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Welcome.

You might want to take some time to visit Reiman Gardens just south of the stadium although it is probably better earlier in the year.

Is the butterfly house in full vigor?

If so, KSU fan should check it out.

• Funny
Reactions: Cdiedrick

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not much will get yelled especially with kids. Afterwards maybe, happened to me at KSU last year with kids. Drunks are morons.

Spend the morning in DM, drive up, eat at hickory park. Pay the 20 to park, watch the wildcats lose and it will be a fun family day.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Have fun!

Don’t be offended if we hate your team and your coach. Last year still stings and I refuse to acknowledge that game as a loss.
Meh, I've tried to hate KSU but I can't.

We did get robbed last year though...couple that with KSUs win streak and I've just had it with losing to KSU. I think any true CFB fan has to respect Snyder and I don't hate him or KSU at all. The losing I absolutely hate. It has to stop on Saturday.