Athletic's Stewart Mandel on ISU/Campbell

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'd bet the 2005 ISU D was among the best. Oh that season of what if.
Ya its up there. I have no idea how good we will be this year, I just think that the potential is there, and with Campbell's track record for development so far, I think it's fair to say this one is one for the ages.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Go back and look closer at that schedule. Honestly, this years team after Purdy took over may have gone undefeated.

upload_2019-5-18_2-29-4.png

-- lost in some sort of OT to Nebraska
-- somehow handed Baylor its first ever road win in the Big 12
-- lost in another close one/maybe OT at Missouri
-- the Kansas game needs zero mentions

To be fair, even if we went 11-0 in the regular season, I doubt even the Purdy-Montgomery-Butler team is going to beat Vince Young in the Big 12 championship game.

11-1 and a Sugar Bowl would be pretty respectable, though.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
View attachment 64338

-- lost in some sort of OT to Nebraska
-- somehow handed Baylor its first ever road win in the Big 12
-- lost in another close one/maybe OT at Missouri
-- the Kansas game needs zero mentions

To be fair, even if we went 11-0 in the regular season, I doubt even the Purdy-Montgomery-Butler team is going to beat Vince Young in the Big 12 championship game.

11-1 and a Sugar Bowl would be pretty respectable, though.

I blame Barney Cotton. We had Todd Blythe, Stevie Hicks, Bret Meyer, & Aaron Brant among others. One week we’re boat racing A&M; the next we’re struggling to move the ball on Kansas. The pieces were there. Such a wasted opportunity that year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I blame Barney Cotton. We had Todd Blythe, Stevie Hicks, Bret Meyer, & Aaron Brant among others. One week we’re boat racing A&M; the next we’re struggling to move the ball on Kansas. The pieces were there. Such a wasted opportunity that year.

All that being said, I do not remember that being a particularly good offensive line. Whatever it was that year, it collapsed the next few seasons after that one.

Meyer spent much of his career running for his life.

Campbell seems to be the opposite -- hate to trot out that hoary announcer cliché, but he probably emphasizes line play as much as any other coach under 40.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
All that being said, I do not remember that being a particularly good offensive line. Whatever it was that year, it collapsed the next few seasons after that one.

Meyer spent much of his career running for his life.

Campbell seems to be the opposite -- hate to trot out that hoary announcer cliché, but he probably emphasizes line play as much as any other coach under 40.

Every coach not named Mike Leach needs to emphasize line play.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yepper... defense and a stud QB.. you have those two things and you can go very far.

Agree - defense, a stud QB, and great skill position athletes. And player development. And consistent coaching with an intact staff. That's all you need. Oh, and discipline and an innate desire to be the best. No reason to leave out an above average OL.

Other than that, you need good special teams and a top flight nutrition program. Also great academic support services.

That's really all you need. And facilities.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron