Athlon Preseason Top-25

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25-college-football-rankings-2019

Also: An important note on Athlon's top 25 for 2019: This is not a preseason ranking of teams going into the season. Instead, this ranking takes into account where we project teams to finish after the national championship in January.

24. Iowa State

Iowa State is on the rise under coach Matt Campbell. The Cyclones are coming off back-to-back winning records in Big 12 play for the first time in program history, and this is the first time Iowa State has been projected by Athlon Sports to finish in the top 25. Running back David Montgomery and receiver Hakeem Butler left big shoes to fill in Ames after leaving early for the NFL Draft. However, the news wasn't all bad for the offense this offseason. Tom Manning returned to Ames from the NFL to call the plays, and quarterback Brock Purdy is one of the Big 12's rising stars. As a freshman in 2018, Purdy went 6-2 as the starter and threw for 2,250 yards and 16 touchdowns. The offensive line has room to improve but brings back all five starters from last season. Replacing Montgomery might be more of a committee approach, while Deshaunte Jones, Tarique Milton and transfer La'Michael Pettway lead the way at receiver. Iowa State led the Big 12 in run defense and held opposing offenses to just 22.9 points a game (also best in the conference). This unit boasts a strong front seven, anchored by end JaQuan Bailey and nose guard Ray Lima up front, with Marcel Spears and Mike Rose providing support at linebacker. The biggest concern for coordinator Jon Heacock rests at cornerback in finding a replacement for standout Brian Peavy and D'Andre Payne.

Others of note:
18. Iowa
11. Texas
6. Oklahoma

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Please, please, please tell me that this is not the cover of "our" Big 12 Preview this year!

6856.jpg

Athlon Sports - National College Football 2019-KS State Wildcats/IA State Cyclones
SKU:AS19N003

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
For first time in my lifetime I will go out and get the annual Athlon magazine with my isu cyclones ranked!!! For so many years I’ve picked up this magazine with the hope that maybe they had the rankings wrong etc...accept this Year!

I’m not buying the hype on Iowa...I think them losing those two stud TE, which their entire offense revolves around, will be a huge loss...far bigger than isu losing Butler and Monty imo..

• Funny
Reactions: Shawker

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
For first time in my lifetime I will go out and get the annual Athlon magazine with my isu cyclones ranked!!! For so many years I’ve picked up this magazine with the hope that maybe they had the rankings wrong etc...accept this Year!

I’m not buying the hype on Iowa...I think them losing those two stud TE, which their entire offense revolves around, will be a huge loss...far bigger than isu losing Butler and Monty imo..
Meh. I fully expect that Iowa will have an O-lineman "miraculously" put on 70 pounds of muscle during their redshirt year and a redshirt freshman TE that put on 50 pounds of muscle, grew 2" in height, and shaved 0.15 seconds off his 40 time.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Those goofy bastards at TOE will probably find some issue to complain about.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011

I'm getting tired of everything looking like Iowa State is ready to beat Iowa In football...only to see them **** the bed the past few years. Enough talk...start playing the Iowa game like you want to actually WIN it this year. Enough bs already. Please...smack the Squawks around for a change.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I'm getting tired of everything looking like Iowa State is ready to beat Iowa In football...only to see them **** the bed the past few years. Enough talk...start playing the Iowa game like you want to actually WIN it this year. Enough bs already. Please...smack the Squawks around for a change.
Agreed. Don't play it conservatively. Keep the boot on their necks and pour it on. Run up the score. See their players hanging their heads. See their fans (the few that found a ticket) trudging out in the third quarter. Listen to their grief on Sound Off. Enjoy the wonderful collapse of their season as they continue to lose games and wind up with a losing record.

• Winner
Reactions: Cdiedrick

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Agreed. Don't play it conservatively. Keep the boot on their necks and pour it on.

For sure, don't attempt to beat Iowa using Iowa's blueprint. We don't have to go completely the opposite (abandon between-tackles rushing; empty the trick-play bag; or throw it long on every down.) But can't settle for "control LOS/field position slow-grind." Play to ISU's strengths and force them to adjust.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Iowa's road schedule is brutal. I could see them losing all their road games.

at Iowa State
at Michigan
at Northwestern
at Wisconsin
at Nebraska

Not so easy home games

Penn State
Purdue

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You guys mind leaving your Hawkeye fixation in the Instate Rivals forum, please?

It’s nice to see that Athlon thinks we could finish in the Top 25. If s few things go right, it could be a lot higher. Yep, I’m looking at knocking off either UT or OU—if not both.