Austen's Got Game

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I would have been all for this scenario if we were still talking about Arnaud and Bates. This is what happened to Meier, right? He had no chance of starting by the time he graduated, so he did what Flynn did for us and chose to help the team.

Besides which, I have a strange feeling that we aren't exactly going to be short on wide receivers the next couple of seasons. Who, exactly, are you planning to push to the bench for jerome to play wideout?

no, as a redshirt freshman (and soph), it'll be his job to hold the clipboard (and AA's jacket), and learn the ffense as well as he can for when his turn rolls around.

Especially if Austen "blows up" next season, and leaves early for the NFL. :biggrin:

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I have big hopes for AA, but until he wins games, I'll wait to call him a star. Some jump on too quick and off too quick. I hope he has what it takes to lead. The jury is still out on that.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I have big hopes for AA, but until he wins games, I'll wait to call him a star. Some jump on too quick and off too quick. I hope he has what it takes to lead. The jury is still out on that.

Remember, you jumped off the Bates wagon rather quick and were wrong there - about who would be the guy. Fact is, no one knows what AA will turn out to be.

But so far, he's shown far more promise than bad.

And again, he's just one man on the team. If one player could win a game for us - we would've been celebrating a fabtabulous season in '02 and in the latter 90's as well.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I hope he has what it takes to lead. The jury is still out on that.

I'm not going to give the examples on that again. I think the jury is decidedly in. He just needs the talent around him.

But then, maybe you would have said the same thing about John Elway through the early part of his career. :wink:

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Speaking of Bates, hes going to check out Central Michigan. Id actually like to see him go there if anywhere but here, good program and he could do some things there.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I'm not going to give the examples on that again. I think the jury is decidedly in. He just needs the talent around him.

But then, maybe you would have said the same thing about John Elway through the early part of his career. :wink:

If Bret Bueker were our QB all season, I suspect our record would be the same. It comes down to wins. We will see if AA has the leadership skills to go along with his talent. I sincerely hope that's the case, but none of us know yet.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'll also mention that, with only two games left, the staff seems to have turned Austen loose as a runner again, something he hadn't done that much of since Bates left. I guess it's an "acceptable risk" now. 7 carries, 41 yards.

Argue all you want about an elusive quality like "leadership". I'd say that not only does AA have a better arm than his predecessor, he's also a better runner than Meyer was. Not a bad start.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
I'll only give you the Baylor game for blaming the offense.

Arnaud split time with QUITTER(bates) during practice the week of the Baylor game. Arnaud and the offense has only gotten better since switching to 1 QB. Arnaud is only beginning to scratch the surface of his ability. He is just learning the spread offense. He is an amazing talent, great leader and a WINNER! ISU isn't winning right now because you can't make chicken salad out of chicken crap. ISU is in the long process of rebuilding I hope in 2 years we make a bowl game and build from there. I hope the coaching staff is building a program built on hard work and character. Not looking for a quick fix by recruiting low character and junior college talent.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Excuses don't win games. We didn't pull it out at CU, or offense fell apart against KU, at Baylor AA didn't show up. I'm certainly not anti AA at all, but he has not YET shown the ability to win games that are one the line. That may happen next season, but until it does, he's has some proving to do for me.
I couldn't disagree more!!! AA has shown great poise in big situations. he has put the TEAM int he position to win and quite honestly, others have failed.

The only gripe I have with AA is he needs to protect the ball inthe redzone more. He tends to force things. But then I think he feels like they have to get TD's and he is right. 3 pts does this team no good.

But to question the kid under pressure is wrong. He stands in the pocket under pressure. He moves the ball under pressure. He just needs an OL AND WR's to block and WR's to catch the damn ball.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
If Bret Bueker were our QB all season, I suspect our record would be the same. It comes down to wins. We will see if AA has the leadership skills to go along with his talent. I sincerely hope that's the case, but none of us know yet.

AA is the best player we have on offense, and you say he and Bret Bueker are interchangeable? You are way way wrong on this one.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
AA is the best player we have on offense, and you say he and Bret Bueker are interchangeable? You are way way wrong on this one.

never said that...only that a QB doesn't prove he can win until he wins. I have no problem with the way AA has played, he has looked good. I just don't know if he will be the leader to carry this team to greater heights.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I think AA has come a long way this year but he has a tendency to overthrow receivers at times and has problems with the home run ball. This may be WR problem or both but if he gets that part down he will take us far.