Big 12 Media Days Thread

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Another Randy Pete facepalm...He was just on KXNO Morning Rush and told Heather that CMC needs to figure out some new wrinkle for Brock Purdy because Big 12 Coaches have figured out that he can both throw with accuracy and run.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
On a related note, nice story about CMC in the Rag this morning. Quoted as saying something like "I prefer to help young men develop", or similar. Writer was commenting on the interest the NFL has had in Campbell already, this kind of shows he prefers working with non-professionals. I was surprised to learn that Campbell had been offered a job with the Patriots some time ago, which he of course turned down.

I hope he's in Ames for a long, long time.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Reason number one why I love Matt Campbell. He said that when he first got here he got questions about entrance songs and uniforms. He said he’s glad not to get them anymore because they don’t matter.

As someone who thinks the constant uniform talk and entrance song talk is completely stupid, I appreciate that we have a coach that agrees. He plays the “game” because he has to—-he plays along with all of you. But it’s nice to know he thinks it’s stupid ;)

WHAT ENTRANCE SONG AND UNIFORM WILL WE WEAR WEEK ONE?:cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Cycsk

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Another Randy Pete facepalm...He was just on KXNO Morning Rush and told Heather that CMC needs to figure out some new wrinkle for Brock Purdy because Big 12 Coaches have figured out that he can both throw with accuracy and run.

Yea, those two skills will make us bottom feeders in the league standings for sure.

• Funny
Reactions: exCYtable

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why are we wearing black uniforms? Why are we not using the bugle logo? Why does he talk so much about making JTS the most intimidating stadium in America?

I think Campbell cares about these things ... in the right way and in the right amounts!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Reason number one why I love Matt Campbell. He said that when he first got here he got questions about entrance songs and uniforms. He said he’s glad not to get them anymore because they don’t matter.

As someone who thinks the constant uniform talk and entrance song talk is completely stupid, I appreciate that we have a coach that agrees. He plays the “game” because he has to—-he plays along with all of you. But it’s nice to know he thinks it’s stupid ;)

I have never heard Campbell complain about the fan experience (uniforms, entrance song). His comment at Big 12 Media Days was about so many of these questions coming from the media. Of course, he would prefer to talk about football, especially with the media. But I don't think this reflects on his appreciation for uniforms and stadium environment. Those are the questions local media should be asking, but not at a national media event.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Re-watching Big 12 press conferences with coaches.

Campbell started with a reference to "humility." Other references to humility at 3:12 and 3:36.

Reclaimed the word "entrenched" at 12:58 talking about Brock Purdy at QB.

Asked about goals for being an NFL coach, Campbell talks about wanting to be a high school coach like his dad. Fantastic answer.

It seems more than just talk about being humble, particularly with the motto on the football poster! "Prove it!"

image_handler.aspx

Reactions: MeanDean

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just finished listening to the rest of the Big 12 coach press conferences. Observations:
  • Only Campbell and Neal Brown of WV introduced their player reps by name. In fact, that is about all Campbell did during his opening comments.
  • C-Dubs has to be amused by how many .com sportscasters were asking questions.
  • Only heard the Iowa State reporters (Randy Peterson) ask one question of other coaches. Others seemed to be asking all the time.