Bird Migration and Misc Birding Thread

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
SIAP

Anyone that enjoys birds, I highly recommend getting the Merlin App on your phone....it's free and It's the real deal and is supported by Cornell University aka Cornell Lab. It's awesome.
They have options on identifying birds and 1 option is by sound. Select it and it identifies birds in range. In just over 2 minutes of recording, mine picked up 12 types of birds.

You you'll be an ornithologist before you know it...lol. it's great to take camping too. New areas, New birds.

Last edited:

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
ID'ing Empids (Flycatchers) is near impossible. I was lucky enough today to get a good look at one that ended up being a lifer for me...Olive-sided flycatcher. Yard bird #79.
Now there is a bird that has a long migration.

Reactions: isucyfan

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Saw a great horned owl fledgling when I was out walking the dog early morning. Dog barked at it, I swear it was rolling it’s eyes, like dogs are not climbing up here.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I had some cattle egrets hanging out at the feed lot one morning last month. While not unheard of in the midwest, they are a bird native to sub-saharan Africa. They were lost! I had never seen even one before and had a group of three.

Reactions: Kinch and NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I'm getting a bit envious of all these reports. Maybe I should retire, just so I can sit in my backyard and find more than I have to date.

Reactions: Kinch and NWICY

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
ID'ing Empids (Flycatchers) is near impossible. I was lucky enough today to get a good look at one that ended up being a lifer for me...Olive-sided flycatcher. Yard bird #79.
The main issue is alder vs willow. Basically only id is by call. Acadian and yellow bellied are very similar but distinguishable. Olive sided are large with a black beak and a well defined vest. Phoebe can also show a vest, but not obvious like an olive. Olives also usually like the top of dead trees where they perch out in the open.

• Informative
Reactions: Kinch

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
The main issue is alder vs willow. Basically only id is by call. Acadian and yellow bellied are very similar but distinguishable. Olive sided are large with a black beak and a well defined vest. Phoebe can also show a vest, but not obvious like an olive. Olives also usually like the top of dead trees where they perch out in the open.
Yes, this one was easier with the big bill. Lighting made it tougher to see the vest at first. And, you're right...it perched high in a dead tree and repeatedly circled out and back getting bugs out of the air.

Reactions: Fishhead

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Red tailed hawk kept circling around me when I was working on the onion garden. I must seem close to dead.

Otherwise an abundance of yellow birds today. American goldfinch, Wilson’s warbler, and yellow warbler.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I feel like the bald eagles are getting kind of bossy. One was fine dining on dead raccoon in the middle of my lane on the highway, so when it didn’t move when I slowed way down, I had to take the passing lane. I looked in the rear view and it was still chomping away.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I guess this isn’t a migration story either, however, I was flyfishing during the eclipse a month ago in southern Missouri. I was hoping the eclipse would cause some hatches that never came, but this Pialated Woodpecker was right behind me 30 feet eating away as I fished. I have a video, however, it won't upload...
My parents have lots of woodpeckers up near Humboldt. Saw a pileated woodpecker a year or so back. Lots of downy and red bellied as well.

Reactions: NWICY

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The oriole's opportunity for an alternate feeding station lessens their use of the hummer feeder. Usually, as summer comes the orioles decline at feeders.

When they have young to feed they aren't looking for sugar highs. Caught this mom oriole taking caterpillars to her nest in early June 2022. Most of the time they nest WAY too high for me to photograph but this nest was closer to the ground.

DSC_5234 female oriole with catepillar cropped CF scale.jpg

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
When they have young to feed they aren't looking for sugar highs. Caught this mom oriole taking caterpillars to her nest in early June 2022. Most of the time they nest WAY too high for me to photograph but this nest was closer to the ground.

View attachment 128995

Great photo! Inchworm chow.

Absolutely. When birds come to their final migration destination they look for fat and sugars. But adults in migration and young birds need protein. That is why the decline of insects is very concerning especially protein packets called beetles (though the Emerald Ash Borer is increasing).

• Agree

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Ugh. I love birds, but I saw two dead ones on the sidewalk walking in Downtown DSM today. Part of me is super sad for the loss of the birds, but I am also glad that we are in an area that has birds in it. Wish the birds could fly through without running into obstacles.