Brandon Mims and Walter Woods (committs)

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Oh yeah nothing against the poster or the recruits. Recruiting language drives me insane.

under the radar
We did not want him any more (Hawk Term)
He is not rated correctly (How do you know, did you see him versus the guy ranked ahead of him?)
He will be a 4 star when it's said and done? (How would you know, did you talk to the Rivals and Scout people to find out?)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Oh yeah nothing against the poster or the recruits. Recruiting language drives me insane.

under the radar
We did not want him any more (Hawk Term)
He is not rated correctly (How do you know, did you see him versus the guy ranked ahead of him?)
He will be a 4 star when it's said and done? (How would you know, did you talk to the Rivals and Scout people to find out?)

I agree with some of your points, but "under the radar" is an absolutely accurate term when discussing recruits. How many big time programs didn't even look at guys like Sam Bradford or Todd Reesing becasue they just didn't have that much hype surrounding them in high school? They "flew under the radar" so to speak. When you are talking about the sheer number of players out there to be evaluated, of course some players will be overlooked. That is how smaller schools have to survive. I just don't understand how you can say that "nobody is really under the radar."

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think a lot of the difference between the "Under the Radar" recruit and the similarly rated 2 star recruit is development. I think recruiting searches can only see what is put in front of them. What seperates the Under the Radar guy and the 2 star who sits the bench is that the Under the Radar guys develop more once they are in the system.
Also, a good number of these "UTR" guys are rated as athletes when they are recruited. They may have never played their college position in HS but take off once they hit college in their new position and flourish with specialized college coaching.
It is pretty hard to rate a guys work ethic and other intangibles as well.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Then there are just some guys who never reach their true potential until they get to college and were not as good coming out of HS.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I agree with some of your points, but "under the radar" is an absolutely accurate term when discussing recruits. How many big time programs didn't even look at guys like Sam Bradford or Todd Reesing becasue they just didn't have that much hype surrounding them in high school? They "flew under the radar" so to speak. When you are talking about the sheer number of players out there to be evaluated, of course some players will be overlooked. That is how smaller schools have to survive. I just don't understand how you can say that "nobody is really under the radar."

I get your point however how "under the Radar" was Bradford if he ended up at OU. How under was Reising when he ended up at Kansas. They may be under the recruiting experts radar but not the coaches. Coaches will find everybody.

If they can find Applington Parkersburg. If they can find Ruthven, Iowa (Loren Meyer) . Then they can find anyplace that has a player.

The only real under the radar guy I can remember is Wesley Johnson. He was under the radar because he bounced around so much and commited to a crappy basketball school and people forgot about him.

The other guys are just guys who get to the school and are better than everyone thought they were. However most of them have talent.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Reesing wasn't under the radar at all. He was a VERY good high school quarterback, they just weren't sure how he would project to the college game do to his size. Kansas was willing to give him a shot, despite his size... If anyone is looking for a truely under the radar guy, I would say Orton. He wasn't able to showcase his skills that well at SEP, but did very well at passing camps over the summer.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I get your point however how "under the Radar" was Bradford if he ended up at OU. How under was Reising when he ended up at Kansas. They may be under the recruiting experts radar but not the coaches. Coaches will find everybody.

If they can find Applington Parkersburg. If they can find Ruthven, Iowa (Loren Meyer) . Then they can find anyplace that has a player.

The only real under the radar guy I can remember is Wesley Johnson. He was under the radar because he bounced around so much and commited to a crappy basketball school and people forgot about him.

The other guys are just guys who get to the school and are better than everyone thought they were. However most of them have talent.

Compare the schools that were going after Bradford (OU, A&M, Oklahoma State, ISU) or Todd Reesing (Kansas, Duke, Northwesterm, TCU) versus the schools that had offered someone like Terrelle Pryor (Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Florida)

Don't get me wrong, good schools went after each of these guys, but Pryor's list reads like a Who's Who of football royalty. It's absolutely obvious that guys like Bradford and Reesing were less known, and fewer schools got a look at them. That is the definition of "flying under the radar." It doesn't mean that nobody knows who they are. It just means that they were overlooked for any number of reasons.

And it's not like either of these two took a huge amount of time to develop. Bradford was producing his freshman year. Reesing was a sophomore when he broke out. Knowing then what they know now, don't you think that more schools would have made a push to sign these guys when they had the chance? Of course. So why didn't they? Because they weren't aware of them.
How many schools truly have a nationwide recruiting base? Very few. It's impossible to keep tabs on that many players.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I want to see Mims running our version of the wild-cat a few times per game. Man, that guy can freakin' move....and we would actually be able to throw out of it as well!

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
In reference to the poor field conditions in the videos --- Palmdale is a few miles south of Edwards Air Force Base. That is high desert country. It takes ..... large ..... quantities of water to keep a blade on grass alive out there.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
walter woods looks like a florida state linebacker... if he was a FSU commit, he'd be a 4*...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I want to see Mims running our version of the wild-cat a few times per game. Man, that guy can freakin' move....and we would actually be able to throw out of it as well!
Actually, that's what I'd look for Money Reynolds doing, and bigger and faster at the same time. :biggrin:

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Actually, that's what I'd look for Money Reynolds doing, and bigger and faster at the same time. :biggrin:

That could be a possibility. Obviously, there's no clue that that could happen yet, but he'd be a good candidate.

The fundamental flaw with the Wildcat we ran last year is that we had no pass play out of it....kinda like the swinging gate kicking formation that had no fake. Never understood that.

Rocky2321

Dec 6, 2006
Brandon Mims reminds reminds me of Leonard Johnson's highlight videos, both were high school quarterbacks with unbelieveable elusiveness and speed. I agree that he is destined for the secondary it will be interesting to see how quickly he can adjust to the speed of the game.

Rocky2321

Dec 6, 2006
More to add, over the years I have watched a lot of recruiting videos (kind of a recruiting junkie :yes:) and I cannot believe these two recruits were not more heavily sought after. I suppose it has to do with that neither one played the position they are destined to in college a hole lot in high school. Walter Woods should come in and compete right away at DT if he can develope some moves and technique. He definately has the motor that will enerqize the defense.