***Breece Hall Thread***

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
My brothers and I were ball boys. I fell down a few times on that turf and it hurt. I always wondered how the players could take a hit off that ground when they landed hard. That is when I realized D1 players were some tough dudes.
The hard surface and no one blinked an eye about head shots.

Reactions: Drew0311

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
He ran a 4.39 40 at the Combine
He's fast AF. One thing that any ISU fan knows, is Breece has always been one of the most patient runners, and he will be patient enough to find the right gap then just explode through. That's probably my favorite part of his game. At times it can get him stopped earlier, but it also leads to insanely long runs. His long runs have been evidenced in his seven games with the Jets.

Reactions: acoustimac

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Are players really that much bigger and more explosive than 20-30 years ago? I'd be interested if someone's done analysis on that. It's certainly possible, and seems to be a common narrative, I don't know that it's necessarily true though. I read an article a couple years ago about Olympic swimmers and sprinters. Studies seemed to indicate that almost all increases in running and swimming times where the results of improved technology rather than increased athletic ability/training. Improved swimsuits, improved running shoes/spikes and faster track surfaces.
I think it is a couple things.

Vs. 30 or so years ago I would say generally yes, but to some extent it's more about who is bigger and faster in my opinion. Thirty years ago there were guys that were as big and fast as the current players. However, I think those guys were pretty much exclusively the genetic freaks. Their ligaments and tendons were PROBABLY more likely to be equipped to handle the force their muscles could generate. Training has allowed a lot of guys that have good natural ability, but aren't natural-born freaks to do some super explosive things. Now, this is not really something that can be proven, but is more intuitive, but it seems like those types of guys connective tissues are not naturally equipped to do these things.

Second, I think there is still and has been a lot of the old ways of training and doing squats and quad/glute exercises where guys were (and are) taught to squat but not to get their knees out in front of their toes. So they are squatting huge amounts of weight, so getting ridiculous quad and glute strength while keeping their knees from getting out in front of their toes. But in basketball and football in particular, most of the high explosive take-off and landing is happening with the knees way out in front of the athletes' toes. So they are getting loads of power, but not training from the most common knee position where high force occurs.

Now the 'knees over toes' exercises are a lot more common, but it's still way behind. This guy is typically credited with popularizing it. I'm sure there may be some holes, but from the little I have read and listened to him, it all makes a ton of sense, and taps into some approaches other cultures have taken in preserving mobility into old age:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My brothers and I were ball boys. I fell down a few times on that turf and it hurt. I always wondered how the players could take a hit off that ground when they landed hard. That is when I realized D1 players were some tough dudes.
I know playing on the old style turf at UNI that it had to be brutal on your body. But at the same time it was kind of cool because you could make some stupid changes of direction at high speeds that you couldn't do on a grass field.

And as others have pointed out, while field turf is better than the old astro turf by a mile, there's a lot of natural grass that's been replaced by field turf, and it still is not as good at injury prevention as natural grass.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Quenton Bundrage is about the only one I could think of off the top of my head.
Kene's major reconstructive surgery was on his Achilles, not a knee issue right? I can't remember and almost thought he may have had two surgeries.

Reactions: CycloneVet

matclone

Nov 13, 2016

Vs. 30 or so years ago I would say generally yes, but to some extent it's more about who is bigger and faster in my opinion. Thirty years ago there were guys that were as big and fast as the current players. However, I think those guys were pretty much exclusively the genetic freaks. Their ligaments and tendons were PROBABLY more likely to be equipped to handle the force their muscles could generate. Training has allowed a lot of guys that have good natural ability, but aren't natural-born freaks to do some super explosive things. Now, this is not really something that can be proven, but is more intuitive, but it seems like those types of guys connective tissues are not naturally equipped to do these things.

Second, I think there is still and has been a lot of the old ways of training and doing squats and quad/glute exercises where guys were (and are) taught to squat but not to get their knees out in front of their toes. So they are squatting huge amounts of weight, so getting ridiculous quad and glute strength while keeping their knees from getting out in front of their toes. But in basketball and football in particular, most of the high explosive take-off and landing is happening with the knees way out in front of the athletes' toes. So they are getting loads of power, but not training from the most common knee position where high force occurs.

Now the 'knees over toes' exercises are a lot more common, but it's still way behind. This guy is typically credited with popularizing it. I'm sure there may be some holes, but from the little I have read and listened to him, it all makes a ton of sense, and taps into some approaches other cultures have taken in preserving mobility into old age:

That all sounds rather dubious. And you're relying on Men's Health for information?

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022
That was an incredible play. The safety had like a 10 yard head start and Breece blew past him. Going into the draft the consensus seemed to be that he was fast, but lacked the "elite" speed. So much for that. Did scouts not watch his games last year? You don't rip off as many long runs as he did without having elite speed.
That safety was also Justin Simmons who is one of the best in the league. Great run.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee

I've heard more and more about a change in training philosophy recently towards the "GOATA movement" that challenges the positions of our feet, knees, back, etc. while training. Below is a decent video explaining this:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I've heard more and more about a change in training philosophy recently towards the "GOATA movement" that challenges the positions of our feet, knees, back, etc. while training. Below is a decent video explaining this:

That acronym is cringe-worthy.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That all sounds rather dubious. And you're relying on Men's Health for information?
No, it’s just the first source I saw when googling it. It isn’t dubious, PT and trainers have pretty widely accepted the concept.

I’d say it’s about the opposite of dubious. If you are playing an explosive sport you are constantly going to exerting large amounts of force with your knees ahead of your toes. It’s a natural act that happens constantly in sports. You can’t avoid it playing. It also happens to be a stressful position. So you can either gradually build ability to absorb and produce force from that position you will be in hundreds of times a game, or you can never train it and just start doing it hundreds of times a game and hope for the best.

There are lots of PT and trainers that have evaluated the method and it seems to be pretty well accepted. Patrick seems to be super cautious in advising people about how slowly to add in resistance.

Exercises like knee over toe split squats are pretty commonly used now in college and HS.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

giphy.webp

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I know playing on the old style turf at UNI that it had to be brutal on your body. But at the same time it was kind of cool because you could make some stupid changes of direction at high speeds that you couldn't do on a grass field.

And as others have pointed out, while field turf is better than the old astro turf by a mile, there's a lot of natural grass that's been replaced by field turf, and it still is not as good at injury prevention as natural grass.

I think the UNI Dome turf at one time was the old concreteish but I know in the late 90s it was much softer to land on at least. Still rug burns galore.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He's fast AF. One thing that any ISU fan knows, is Breece has always been one of the most patient runners, and he will be patient enough to find the right gap then just explode through. That's probably my favorite part of his game. At times it can get him stopped earlier, but it also leads to insanely long runs. His long runs have been evidenced in his seven games with the Jets.

It's funny because I was just telling some Jets fans on Reddit last week that they hadn't even seen the Breece signature long run yet...which is basically his TD run yesterday. That's exactly what he did there.

How many of those 60-80 yard runs did he have for us the exact same way on a day the rest of the offense was struggling?

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Easy, we've pushed through the limits of what the human body is designed to do.

And honestly ACL tears aren't a career ender. Plenty of people come back from them. Now Achilles tears...
Yeah, seriously. This thread made me feel like it was 1990 or something.

With surgery and rehab advancements, ACL's are now far from career ending. There are guys who literally come back full speed in 6 months. It sucks for Breece and the Jets this season, but he'll be back.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu