Breece Hall for Heisman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Have to agree. Our offensive line is not very good, which makes it even that much more impressive what Breece Hall is doing right now.
I don't think our offensive line is great by any means, but they're certainly better than "not very good". We're averaging 5.2 ypc on the ground and I believe have only given up 4 sacks. That's definitely above average.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't think our offensive line is great by any means, but they're certainly better than "not very good". We're averaging 5.2 ypc on the ground and I believe have only given up 4 sacks. That's definitely above average.
When looking at Team Defense, statistically speaking, West Virginia actually has good defense. I know they haven't played anyone good yet but this was still pretty surprising to me. I'm guessing their regression to the mean won't be fun.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

They're still leaky here and there but there's much more of a 'surge' this year that hasn't been there. I actually feel confident in short yardage or less than a yard to go type of situations.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They're still leaky here and there but there's much more of a 'surge' this year that hasn't been there. I actually feel confident in short yardage or less than a yard to go type of situations.
Yes, and that's why I'm reluctant to even call them good. I don't think they're there yet. I do think that calling them above average would be respectable though.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
It's amazing how much **** our OL takes from fans. OL is a helluva lot harder than running back.

Most of the time our OL this year has been pretty decent. And there's many plays they have been outstanding. Sounds like a lot of you only pay attention when Purdy gets sacked or when Breece doesn't have a massive hole to run through.

Also, unblocked defenders in the hole aren't an OL problem more often than not. Scheme problem/mistake

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It's amazing how much **** our OL takes from fans. OL is a helluva lot harder than running back.

Most of the time our OL this year has been pretty decent. And there's many plays they have been outstanding. Sounds like a lot of you only pay attention when Purdy gets sacked or when Breece doesn't have a massive hole to run through.

Also, unblocked defenders in the hole aren't an OL problem more often than not. Scheme problem/mistake
With so many brand new players, and injured stars, I think it’s fair to call the OL a “work in progress”.

And still improved over last year in ways.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

OL, especially considering injuries to Downing, Ramos and Hudson has started really doing a good job in the run game. Manning has done a nice job using the TEs here as well, and our WRs are very willing blockers.

Sometimes you get a tackler in the hole based on some bad luck and there's not much you can do about it. You also have to keep in mind you've got a QB and a ball carrier, not to mention you are going to often going to have some double-teams. So you are always outnumbered trying to block. A RB having to make somebody miss is the norm, not the exception.

There have been some plays blown up in the backfield that Hall has had to overcome. There have also been a lot of REALLY well-blocked plays. Hall is a beast that is really difficult to tackle, and now that the OL and TEs are getting comfortable, the ground game is really working. I also like seeing more use of the TEs more to chip, which has been a good adjustment.

While I think it's fair to criticize the staff for some of the poor OL play, they certainly deserve credit in developing some depth and coming up with a good scheme to fit what they do well. I love what they are doing right now.

cyfan4

May 21, 2014
Ankeny, Iowa
I was listening to Pollack in a podcast and he mentioned he has a segment on Breece Hall during Gameday this coming weekend. Dude's getting some serious attention these last two weeks on the football saturday morning shows.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Well ****, Pollack throwing his announcers jinx into the ring. Calling out Chuba and saying Breece is the guy.

I like hearing it, I just wish it would be said AFTER the game, not before. That's bulletin board material for OSU offense and Defense

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011

Agree...plus they've more than held their own with 2 starters down.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Him not being mentioned at all in this Doak Walker discussion is hilarious

Doak Walker Award has had no relevance to Cyclones since 1996.

Reactions: 20eyes