Campustown Redevelopment

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
For the love of all that exists, please tell me the bolded is a typo and you don’t actually draw the line of “too far to walk” at a mere 2 blocks.
Pricing wise, higher prices = fewer students = more locals & alumni visitors. That’s oversimplified but the gist of ‘pricing out’ college students who just want to party. Throw in an earlier closing time too.

Agree with the last part. It’s too disjointed for any one area to be truly desirable. As someone in my mid-30s I tend toward Main St, but do enjoy stopping at Es Tas for 3 tacos and a drink or two in the afternoon during my semi-annual return to Ames.
I’m generalizing older alumni consumer choices. Say someone in their 50s or 60s is in town and is choosing between a place on main st or a place in campustown. Do you not think that that 2 block walk plays into the decision? I mean, all other things being equal, most people will pick the place where you can park nearby and walk right in.

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
I’m generalizing older alumni consumer choices. Say someone in their 50s or 60s is in town and is choosing between a place on main st or a place in campustown. Do you not think that that 2 block walk plays into the decision? I mean, all other things being equal, most people will pick the place where you can park nearby and walk right in.
As an alum in my 60’s, I would say the reason they don’t go to campustown is because the places they remember aren’t there anymore (with the exception of PP/WAS). I think they are more likely to go to Maude’s, Great Plains, or Hickory Park.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not really a lot of sit down places to grab a meal and drink last I knew outside of pizza in campus town. Maybe I’m wrong, happy to be corrected.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
WAS, Cafe B, Es Tas are all fine places to go regardless if you’re a student or alum.

Our group (early 30s) went to paddy’s a Friday before a game last season when we had everyone back in town. Felt out of place, but it’s still fun to revisit the old stomping grounds every once in a while.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Also Bar LaTosca, although that’s a more subdued crowd than the regular campustown. Used to be Stomping Grounds, same owner.

Reactions: STLISU and Cycsk

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm generally always in Team "Preservation" over something new going in. The block feels soulless now with that original cornerstone building.

I am the exact opposite. That block was really crappy. Now move on to the east and do something else.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I'm generally always in Team "Preservation" over something new going in. The block feels soulless now with that original cornerstone building.
I'm team preservation more and more because #1 older buildings are always better looking at thr very least but #2 it seems more and more when a building gets demo'd for new construction theres a 50/50 chance the financing or whatever for the new development falls through and we're left with an empty lot. Happened once in Campustown, and seems to happen all the time in Des Moines especially downtown.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Awesome that it's still around. Was by far my favorite place down there between 97-01.
Pizza pit and then the library, was there in the early 80s. $5 single topping larges with a coupon from the Daily was the go to.