Changing the subject.

farmerbrent

Feb 29, 2008
Has anyone heard where Bates is going to play at? If Turner Gill is our coach, would he consider coming back? And finally, Chizik kind of owes Phil an apology. It's amazing how similar Pollard's statement on "coach" leaving is to the statement given by Gene on Bates leaving. I guess Gene is more of a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of guy. They both quit as far as I'm concerned.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Just because cheesebrain left us doesn't mean we should accept everyone who has ever stabbed the cyclones in the back. Bates left because he didn't get the playing time he thought he deserved. What he should have done is to buckle down and work harder to be a better player so that when the chance arose, he would be put into the starting spot. Instead he wimped out and left. If he tries to come back, he will have NO respect from either the fans or (sometimes more importantly) the rest of the players on the team that he left hanging out to dry. You don't build a good program by taking back people like that. You build it with people like Austen Arnaud who will be there through the good and the bad and will work hard through all of it.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
In Philip's defense, the guy making the playing time decisions was a complete idiot. He may have been right that he should've played more and to him, it must've been so glaringly obvious, he didn't see the point of sticking around.

I hear what you're saying, though. It's probably in neither parties best interest for him to even attempt a return.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Why the hell would you want a quitter back? Austen is the better QB and leader of this team and I love the fact that he is. Next.

farmerbrent

Feb 29, 2008
I'm not saying I want him back. I just wonder if he will try to come back if Turner Gill is the coach. I would bet Gill is probably one of his heroes.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
I'm not saying I want him back. I just wonder if he will try to come back if Turner Gill is the coach. I would bet Gill is probably one of his heroes.
For Bates growing up in Omaha, you probably are right that Gill was one of his heroes. Normally its in bad taste to accept back someone that left you though.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
He quit in the middle of the season. I had multiple coaches that I couldn't stand when I played, but I never quit. Says a lot about a man.

Good luck Bates, but don't come back

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
For Bates growing up in Omaha, you probably are right that Gill was one of his heroes. Normally its in bad taste to accept back someone that left you though.
gill was last QB at kNU in 1983... bates wasnt even born yet. he probably heard about Turner but never saw him play...

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Why the hell would you want a quitter back? Austen is the better QB and leader of this team and I love the fact that he is. Next.

Because we are going to need as many good athletes as we can get.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Because we are going to need as many good athletes as we can get.

Its already been tried. It won't work. Phil wants to be a starting QB, he won't be able to beat out Austen. He doesn't want to play another position.

He needs to find another school to go to.