Cole out for season ACL

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/football/16441-will-isu-make-bowl-2008-a.html

You mean like this one, where greater than 40% of people think we won't even make a bowl game and most of the posts are centering around how we "might" get there if many things happen? The difference here is that our lunatic fringe fans are on this message board and get shouted down by the other members. Yours are on the radio. I'm sorry if you don't realize this annoys us some of us after decades.

Nope, that's not the one. I'll try to find it later.

And I guess it just doesn't make sense why ISU fans let Dolph bother them so much. He's the Iowa broadcaster. He is on the radio for Iowa fans. Not to appease ISU fans, or even make them happy with their predictions. I realize you can't avoid him all the time, but I've read a lot of complaints about him which leads me to believe that people listen to him just to get annoyed.

It's like listening to Rush Limbaugh or watching MSNBC or Fox News - people listen to get annoyed, and refuse to go in with an open mind.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
By "play up to the level they did at UNI" you mean shoot 59% from 3-pt. range then yes, I guess they have a 30/70 shot. Seeing how Iowa's season 3-pt.% is 36%, that would fall into the realm of "wishful thinking". I guess I could also factor in the homecourt advantage of having more than 5000 people at the game and the chance of victory skyrockets to 32/68.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
To defend Southern, he has been just defending Dolph's craziness and not spouting too much craziness of his own. I'm off to lunch, keep up the good work boys. ;)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's like listening to Rush Limbaugh or watching MSNBC or Fox News - people listen to get annoyed, and refuse to go in with an open mind.

Kind of like you coming over here and getting annoyed with what we say? Honestly, it would be good to follow your own advice here. I know I will be.

n16930950_35747107_500.jpg

Last edited:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Kind of like you coming over here and getting annoyed with what we say? Honestly, it would be good to follow your own advise here. I know I will be.

n16930950_35747107_500.jpg

Really? I thought we were having a good debate? I wasn't aware that I was offending anybody, but apparently I was.

GoState

Jun 4, 2006
Beaverdale
I can't believe it, but I support SouthernHawk on this one. Of course Dolphin is saying good things about the team and drinking the kool-aid. Why wouldn't he? He's got to travel with the team all winter and (probably) watch them lose 14 or so Big 10 games. Can't blame the guy for being glass half full, even if it's presumably way off base. Ever listen to Walters?

And to the point of this thread, whoever claimed Cole was hot dogging it could not be more wrong. The kid dunked, came down and dropped like a sack of potatoes--watched it on the news last night. I'm sure Hawk fans would claim Wesley or whoever was hot dogging if it happened to us, but let's be a bit more classy than them...it ain't too hard!

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I can't believe it, but I support SouthernHawk on this one. Of course Dolphin is saying good things about the team and drinking the kool-aid. Why wouldn't he? He's got to travel with the team all winter and (probably) watch them lose 14 or so Big 10 games. Can't blame the guy for being glass half full, even if it's presumably way off base. Ever listen to Walters?

I don't make it a habit to listen to EIU sports for several reasons, but I have on occasion heard Dolphin. I have no issue with him being a homer, that is what Squawk fans do. My problem is that I would have a better idea of what was ACTUALLY going on in the game if I was talking to a deaf mute on a Sprint cell phone.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
SH...Bryce was completely destroying you in this thread - yet you kept limping back with feeble posts.

I guess there's something to be said for that...but it's a stretch.

Dolph is a homer - the biggest of homers. His "predictions" are no better than the crap Jon N. spews about ISU winning the Big 12 this past season.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
SH...Bryce was completely destroying you in this thread - yet you kept limping back with feeble posts.

I guess there's something to be said for that...but it's a stretch.

Dolph is a homer - the biggest of homers. His "predictions" are no better than the crap Jon N. spews about ISU winning the Big 12 this past season.

How so? I mean, people agreed with both of us, and I thought we were just having a debate. I wasn't trying to flame or be a douche. I guess it's hard to admit defeat to a guy who's only way of ending the argument is putting you on ignore. I'm sorry, but that's weak. I honestly thought we were just having a discussion here.

But anyways, back on discussion. My point is (and others agree), Dolph is a homer. He wasn't as much of a homer as the original poster (wonkadog - hope you had a good lunch :wink:) said, but he was still a homer. I honestly don't know what's wrong with that.

I guess I can understand ISU fans being annoyed with that, but my question is why would they listen to him if they knew he was just going to spout off pro-Iowa stuff?

I know Bryce tried to point out that I come here just to get angry (in an attempt to refute my argument that some people listen to Dolph in the way that Democrats watch Fox News or listen to Rush or Republicans watch MSNBC), but as I stated in several of my replies, I understand the optimism by ISU fans, and simply post here for the purpose of debate.

But honestly, I do apologize if some how I was being offensive.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I don't make it a habit to listen to EIU sports for several reasons, but I have on occasion heard Dolphin. I have no issue with him being a homer, that is what Squawk fans do. My problem is that I would have a better idea of what was ACTUALLY going on in the game if I was talking to a deaf mute on a Sprint cell phone.

Actually, this is my issue with him too. He's gotten a lot worse in the past few years. He used to be pretty good, but now it's hard to understand what's going on in the game, and he seems to get off topic a lot.

I think he's really showing signs that he may not be around too much longer.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
SH, I don't think you were being offensive, just misguided. Most ISU fans don't like the blowing smoke out their bums type of speaking. That is why when a certain person(who is a Hawkfan) went on the airways speaking how ISU was going to win the Big 12 North this year we bashed him also.

As for BryceC. he understands how to post on a Rivals board. Look at how many posts he has at HN and how respected he is for an outsider.

As for your take on the Indiana vs. Iowa game being more that a 20/80 chance for Iowa. I will be putting up a money line bet later tonight with the vegas odds and you can bet on Iowa since I am sure it will be at least a 1/5 to 5/1 money line.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
SH, I don't think you were being offensive, just misguided. Most ISU fans don't like the blowing smoke out their bums type of speaking. That is why when a certain person(who is a Hawkfan) went on the airways speaking how ISU was going to win the Big 12 North this year we bashed him also.

As for BryceC. he understands how to post on a Rivals board. Look at how many posts he has at HN and how respected he is for an outsider.

As for your take on the Indiana vs. Iowa game being more that a 20/80 chance for Iowa. I will be putting up a money line bet later tonight with the vegas odds and you can bet on Iowa since I am sure it will be at least a 1/5 to 5/1 money line.

I'm not defending Dolph's homerism, I'm defending his right to be a homer. Completely different situations. Honestly, I'd rather have a radio broadcaster that was an eternal optimist instead of a guy that said "Yeah, Iowa has a 20% chance of beating IU this week, and it'll be at least 2015 before Iowa contends for a spot in the polls."

And if you'll notice, I said it could be a 30/70 < 20/80 game, but that would be if Iowa played like they did at UNI and had a major home court advantage. I find it amusing that this has become about how I somehow predicted Iowa's chances, when that's not even close to what I was doing.

And finally - I don't care how Bryce is treated on HN. This isn't HN - and for the most part I've enjoyed posting here. I post here for the debate, and judging by my reputation (lame, I know) I'm at least in good standing with other members on the board.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Looks like my prediction of a 12-point spread was pretty close. You'd think it would be a "pick'em" since it's a 50/50 toss up at home.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Add me to that list. One less player on any EIU team makes me smile, although I have torn my ACL and gone through rehab so I really feel for the kid. Hopefully he gets healthy soon.

And just in case he's reading this, tell the doc's to use cadavor(sp) ligaments because they ripped part of my hamstring out and that hurt something horrid. More problems with the pain of that healing then with the knee.

that is too bad. Cadaver ligaments are by far the best for ACL repairs.