Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Enjoy.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Good article!! (Although when I first read the comparison to The Last Dance, I thought to myself “next year isn’t our last chance for sure, we could still win after” ;))

I do think it’s been a steady rise. But I don’t think it’s necessarily been slow. The best part of last year was that it had been building since 2017.

Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Nicely done, Chris!

It’s funny. People complain about our recruiting classes, but there are two factors built into those rankings that they never take into consideration.

One is the inherent redundancy of the higher ranked classes—-which becomes immense as you go higher and higher in the rankings.

The other is that although the improvement in the annual recruiting rankings may be incremental for Cyclone football, the effect on the actual talent level isn’t. There is more and better depth of talent across the board than I’ve seen—and it really isn’t close.

Matter of fact, the closest I’d come is the talent and depth on the defenses of the last couple Earle Bruce teams...and I suspect the current talent on offense has those teams beat.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Nicely done, Chris!

It’s funny. People complain about our recruiting classes, but there are two factors built into those rankings that they never take into consideration.

One is the inherent redundancy of the higher ranked classes—-which becomes immense as you go higher and higher in the rankings.

The other is that although the improvement in the annual recruiting rankings may be incremental for Cyclone football, the effect on the actual talent level isn’t. There is more and better depth of talent across the board than I’ve seen—and it really isn’t close.

Matter of fact, the closest I’d come is the talent and depth on the defenses of the last couple Earle Bruce teams...and I suspect the current talent on offense has those teams beat.

Yeah honestly, when I talk about improved recruiting, I never once even looked at the rankings and stars. Improved recruiting - IMO - you can just see. When freshmen are constantly making a difference. A guy like Greg Eisworth coming in and making a difference right away. Hope that makes sense. I couldn't care less about class rankings these days. I spent too many years working for the services.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
Great article Chris.
Being a 90’s kid- I loved the tie-in to MJ and the Bulls. We may not win 6 titles, but the journey seems similar and I’m so proud of CMC and our football team. I encourage all fans to give, give, and then give some more. This is our time- keep the momentum rolling!

I’ve watched ISU football for almost 40 years, and the depth at every position has me blown away- we can stand toe to toe with just about anybody and win against teams that used to pummel us. It’s a great time to be a Cyclone!

Reactions: VeloClone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Somebody explain that to this newbie! Thanks!

ISU beat Iowa for the first time in 15 years, a streak that was a massive burden on the program and seemed unbreakable. It was Dan McCarney's fourth year at Iowa State after the program had completely bottomed out at 0-10-1 in 1994. There was finally some enthusiasm in the fanbase and administration and hope/confidence that you could win at Iowa State.

Reactions: tolfbfan

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Agree with everything but 1 thing? Is getting isu to the b12 championship, winning and ny6 bowl and being preseason top 10 in 5 years at Iowa state really slow and steady? I’d say that was miraculously fast lol

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Agree with everything but 1 thing? Is getting isu to the b12 championship, winning and ny6 bowl and being preseason top 10 in 5 years at Iowa state really slow and steady? I’d say that was miraculously fast lol
There are programs where a coach is hired, they immediately make a big splash and bring in top 20 recruiting classes and transfers, and win big in Year 2. So yes, five years is “slow and steady”.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah honestly, when I talk about improved recruiting, I never once even looked at the rankings and stars. Improved recruiting - IMO - you can just see. When freshmen are constantly making a difference. A guy like Greg Eisworth coming in and making a difference right away. Hope that makes sense. I couldn't care less about class rankings these days. I spent too many years working for the services.

Agree....i get the "big data" idea that, in theory, more stars=more talent=more wins.

And a football team has A LOT of moving parts. There is a reason why someone like Landon Akers probably played more than Joseph Scates...their "stars" are much different, but the coaches know what they've got.

Great write up...it sounds cliche, but you have to find out how to win at ISU...and this process has been one that took time, but that's how it had to be. Drop CMC into (insert blue blood college) and he'd maybe have to change the plan given talent, school profile, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
And then that disappeared. Just like it did after Earle Bruce left.

The product on the field dipped to early '90s level, but the support and investment in the program was still much stronger during Chizik/Rhoads than Walden. The fans and athletic department have been essentially all-in (no Rhoads pun intended) since McCarney. It's hard to quantify, but my fan experience, even during the Rhoads debacle, never had the hopelessness of the '90s.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The product on the field dipped to early '90s level, but the support and investment in the program was still much stronger during Chizik/Rhoads than Walden. The fans and athletic department have been essentially all-in (no Rhoads pun intended) since McCarney. It's hard to quantify, but my fan experience, even during the Rhoads debacle, never had the hopelessness of the '90s.

I don't think anyone who wasn't around for the late 1980's to early 1990's versions of CYclone Football can really appreciate just how different it was after Mac arrived and how the Department maintained that even through its growing pains. Mac brought back the investment of ISU fans and since that time the Athletics Administration has been focused as **** about maintaining it, building from it, and monetizing it.