COLUMN: What happens to Iowa State if the Big 12 implodes?

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I don’t think it is about the B1G vs. PAC…more Fox vs ESPN.

This guy’s BTM (“Big Ten Man”) seems dead-set on cannibalizing the top PAC brands…which is going to leave a lot of PAC teams finding a new home as well. That seems to fly against the desires of Fox in losing content, and Fox is paying the bills. I imagine the top Fox Heads are letting the B1G beat around the idea for a while to work it out of their system, but they aren’t going to ultimately reach a consensus. Also think that this is side fodder from what is actually going on, meant to be leaked out to the prying eyes at ESPN.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
It will be---
"Oklahoma and Texas' announcement that they plan to join the SEC has presented a challenging situation for remaining Big 12 institutions. President Winstersteen and I will do everything in our power to position the Iowa State athletic department with the most favorable outcome possible."

or

"Oklahoma and Texas have shown us to be the true a$$holes that we always knew they were.

Don't worry Cyclone fans- I've got this."
If it’s pissy spiteful JP…. Isu is ******

• Agree
Reactions: Bewilderme

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
This guy’s BTM (“Big Ten Man”) seems dead-set on cannibalizing the top PAC brands…which is going to leave a lot of PAC teams finding a new home as well. That seems to fly against the desires of Fox in losing content, and Fox is paying the bills. I imagine the top Fox Heads are letting the B1G beat around the idea for a while to work it out of their system, but they aren’t going to ultimately reach a consensus. Also think that this is side fodder from what is actually going on, meant to be leaked out to the prying eyes at ESPN.
This dude has been on message boards since the mid 90s. Full of ****.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
At the bare minimum, I think Alvarez and AD Smith could be for letting speculation linger even if they weren't in favor of actually inviting. This would allow a little negotiation leverage with the PAC-12. It's something tanagible they could do to help Pollard & ISU, short of extending an invite.
Is Gene Smith in our corner? He couldn't wait to leave here for ASU.

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
Well, Aloha Stadium is pretty much a dump and has been condemned, right?
I was talking about up until the stadium was closed and my mistake it was closer to 20-35k, but more like 20-30k in the last 5 years. The stadium's condition was ok so I don't think that was a major factor.
This may not be a fair comparison. When I went to Hawaii a few years a go, I was told that many people work multiple jobs just to get by. They said that was part of the price of living in paradise. Going to a football game is hard when you need to pay your bills first and time is at a premium when working all the time. The other time there are more important things like surfing LOL.

Yes, a lot of people in Hawaii work multiple jobs so time is at a premium, but I know a lot of people who spend lots of time watching the NFL and other tv sports, participating in NFL fantasy leagues or watching various tv shows while also doing stuff outdoors. If football is such a big time sport, wouldn't people want to see the highest level available in person instead of watching TV? I think college football actually is a big time sport, but certain areas have become less interested in attending games in person for some reason.

I am realizing now that using UH as an example for all of college football wasn't very smart because it has a lower level of investment in the football program compared to some other states. (This level of investment makes sense for Hawaii, but it limits how much the program can grow). It may actually be an average or just below average level of investment which would make it a decent example, but average levels of investment keep a program from keeping up with the top tier of FBS. Maybe the best thing mid to lower tier FBS schools can hope for is to be in a new subdivision that still gets a lot more coverage than FCS.

Last edited:

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You bring up an interesting point. So with ESPN locked in on the ACC and SEC, and Fox sitting looking at the B1G and PAC, what do they do to make the most bang for their buck?
They dont want either of those conferences to lose anything. They want them to at least maintain but probably increase and match or at least give them similar content to the ACC and SEC.

So as you point out, they are not going to want the B1G to go after PAC teams and weaken that brand. (if they were really an option or not)

They will want to increase content in the PAC greatly to improve their value, and at least increase available content that doesnt diminish the B1G brand.

So what do you does Fox push those conferences to do? To me they push the PAC to pick up at least 4 from the Big12 as we have all discussed, and also the B1G 2 from the Big12.

I think we all know how we want that to shake out. But Short of the ACC or PAC also falling apart, I just see the push is going to pick up most of the Big 12 for the content.

There is one other option that could be on the table, some form of a partnership between the B1G and PAC, but this could still see the addition of a few schools.

Short of a complete melt down that is.

Man this needs to end sooner rather than later, I have to get back to my life.

• Agree
Reactions: Stormin and Rods79

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
You bring up an interesting point. So with ESPN locked in on the ACC and SEC, and Fox sitting looking at the B1G and PAC, what do they do to make the most bang for their buck?
They dont want either of those conferences to lose anything. They want them to at least maintain but probably increase and match or at least give them similar content to the ACC and SEC.

So as you point out, they are not going to want the B1G to go after PAC teams and weaken that brand. (if they were really an option or not)

They will want to increase content in the PAC greatly to improve their value, and at least increase available content that doesnt diminish the B1G brand.

So what do you does Fox push those conferences to do? To me they push the PAC to pick up at least 4 from the Big12 as we have all discussed, and also the B1G 2 from the Big12.

I think we all know how we want that to shake out. But Short of the ACC or PAC also falling apart, I just see the push is going to pick up most of the Big 12 for the content.

There is one other option that could be on the table, some form of a partnership between the B1G and PAC, but this could still see the addition of a few schools.

All of this is exactly where my head has been at when this news broke.

The partnership model is the only thing I can see that even comes close to matching the move by SEC/ESPN right now, and being the exclusive provider of B1G/PAC content. FOX just lost ~$200 million of value with TX/OU moving to SEC, a conference where they have no business. At a minimum they need to reinvest that and push the rest of the money they were spending on the Big 12 into the B1G/PAC to keep up, but they need to secure content to do so…they’re not going to pay more for less, so they need to kick ESPN out of B1G rights and expand. Once they secure that content, they need to go heavy into brand building like ESPN has done to make that content more valuable.

Reactions: 2speedy1

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010

The first thing that is going to happen is the B1G & largely FOX is going to decide if taking 4-6 brands from the PAC improve their tv value or not and give the additional recruiting grounds the B1G needs for football. Does USC, UCLA, OR , UW and then 2 of the last 4 Co., Ks, AZ or ASU, Cal or Stanford increase their value or not. Thats a fair amount of population the BTN gets extended to and also, it adds another time slot during football and basketball for live content 9 CST/10 EST.

There is unfortunately, NO WAY the B1G adds just KU & ISU. I don't mean to be rude but you're being delusional to think If OU & UT felt they needed to play the biggest brands for NIL purposes going forward that OSU/PSU/Michigan are going to make their counter move to add ISU & KU to improve their ability to compete in recruiting in the new world of NIL. Its also the reason I think USC, UCLA, OR & UW will not be able to decline a B1G invitation. They can't sell NIL money to recruits adding KU, ISU, TT & TCU (or whatever combo) instead joining of OSU,UM and PSU. Nor will FOX sign up for a tv deal of matchups of Big 12 leftovers playing USC, UCLA, OR & UW. Or would you rather have OSU, PSU, UM, Neb playing those teams. Anyone that wants to argue against this isn't being realistic.

I always thought it would be horrible for CFB to try and limit the field for 48 or so teams because it wouldn't be enough teams to keep the national interest in the sport. Maybe they have determined two mega leagues in terms of revenue and either 1 or 2 leagues in the same division allows them to keep 72-80 teams so fans can feel like their team is a part of the sport membership wise and maybe throw them a bone for 1 or 2 playoff spots but paid quite a bit less and a lot less access to the playoffs. I guess in a way that's always how CFB has operated, just ask AAC & MWC teams. The question is how much lower is the pay? Are we talking 65-70M for the two super leagues compared to 25-30M for the other league(s)?

The only hope is CFB decides to break off with 60-64 teams within 2 leagues the B1G & SEC, but I don't see the teams at the top of the revenue heap wanting to share it with 64 teams instead of 40-48. Maybe under that scenario where the B1G focuses on AAU schools ISU somehow slips in at the end but I don't feel good about it. I guess the other possibility is the B1G fills up with AAU schools and the SEC wants to improve the academic appearance of its league and ISU gets one of the last few spots there.

The only thing fans of the teams leftover can do is vote with their viewership in the future.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I do love that the only people that are truly vocal about their opposition to the idea of ISU in the Big 10 are Tavern Hoks. I do know two schools that probably love the idea in the short term - UT and OU. KU probably loves it as well as we’d be their dance partner. And honestly, living in MI, talking with U of M and MSU fans, they all generally like the idea of ISU in the Big 10, as if we should have been all along - and that was a decade ago before Rutgers and Maryland were brought in, and people to this day hate that those two schools were added.

• Love
Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
In their latest rankings US News and World Report ranked WV #241 in the nation. No way in hell is the Big 10 taking a team ranked that low. EIU was ranked #88 and ISU was at #118.

Best Colleges in West Virginia | U.S. News Rankings (usnews.com)

I WAS SPEAKING FROM A STRICTLY GEOGRAPHICAL CONTEXT.....You guys need to lighten up a little bit because it will take another three/four years for this to play out....

Poor Texas Aggies are now going to have to play the Univ of Texas every year again I presume!