Compare ISU & UT

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm hoping we just were looking ahead yesterday. We can take Texas, I hope we get a call that just makes Herman cry.

If it comes down to a call ISU has a small chance to win.

ISU will need to play their best game next weekend.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Our DBs can’t play like they did last night next week. Lil’Jordan, Duvernay, and Johnson are all talented and skilled.

I thought the Dline was a little off too. They were there plenty of times that Brewer scrambled for 12 yards. Need to keep the angle and wrap up.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It is going to be a tough game for ISU. The defense against Baylor did not look good at all, giving up huge chunks on the ground and through the air. They dropped a couple INTs that could have stopped the bleeding, but in general the Bears did everything they wanted except score.

The offense today was weird. They scored on every possession in the first half, but it just didn't seem like they were playing that well. Purdy had a great game, but the offense sputtered a lot in the second half. Running game was not what if should have been against a marginal rush defense.

Lots of stuff to look at and figure out before next Saturday for sure. TX presents some unique challenges to ISU with a big running QB and a physical running attack. Offense is going to have to get 35+ points to win that one.
They were all sandbagging, so that Texas will be overconfident. Even Brock realized he had to get into the act late, and that’s why he took that bad sack, instead of throwing it away.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Defense needs to get much better this week. Yesterday was just not a good performance, and I dont see Texas going 2-5 in the red zone.

How dare they give up 14 to Baylor! Point taken though, it would really help if we could contain Ellinger. Mobile QB are difficult for this defensive scheme.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The biggest concern for me is Ehlinger. He doesn’t make mistakes in the passing game and is cautious enough to just take the 5 yard scramble all game long. The game plan can’t be to sit back and wait for him to screw up, because he won’t. ISU is going to have to really mix up their pressure and coverage to be successful, and probably spy Ehlinger to boot.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Opening line just came out, Texas is only a 3 point favorite. Love it!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I don't feel good about next Saturday, but am confident the staff will have us in a position to win.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Sam Ehlinger has really come a long ways. He makes that offense go and I worry about his running ability. He’s got very good vision running the ball from what I’ve seen. This Texas team has talent they just haven’t put it all together. If we can contain him and get to him I think we come away with a win. We really need to finish on getting to the QB. A lot of almost last night

Agree about getting to the QB. We haven't got home on our blitzes, and Bailey hasn't been able to beat his man. Baylor did a good job of avoiding the pressure, and Ehlinger is good on his feet, so I'm sure he will give us issue unless we can swarm him like we saw against WV. He will make mistakes if pressured. He's thrown some really bad picks the last two seasons and a few in crunch time.

Texas' receivers scare me. They are big and fast. Humphrey seems to be Ehlinger's favorite target, and he can turn a 15 yard crossing route into a 60-yard touchdown. Johnson is an NFL guy that could give us issues with his size and physicality.

Texas seems to always stuff our run. Their DL absolutely dominated us last season. We're going to need Purdy to be at his best and get a Heacock special.

Reactions: khardbored

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Baylor exposed our defense a little bit. Sneaky things like sending the pass protecting running back into the flats after the LB committed to the delayed blitz. The last two weeks the D has been phenomenal in the red zone, but there's a good bit of luck on some of those possessions. If Texas puts it together it'll be a tough game.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Trainwreck20

Nov 12, 2018
[Longhorn here]
ISU has, by a huge margin, the best defense in the conference (not that y'all don't know that). I have watched a few of games that ISU has played (OU, Iowa, and parts of the WVU games), and it is immediately apparently how fast/confident the defense plays; hell, it doesn't look like a B12 defense at all. I don't expect UT to be able to generate a ton of rushing offense - the UT oline is okay, but not great. The zone-read will make up a lot of those rush attempts, and while Ehlinger can run 'effectively', he is in no way dangerous. UT will still likely try to keep Ehlinger protected long enough to throw downfield/sideline quite a bit. Johnson/Humprhries (and the UT offense) have relied on them going up and getting that ball on the sideline routes and I don't think there will be a lot of change there, at least no intentionally. I don't know the 2-deep for ISU, but it looks like the DBs are average size (neither small nor large), although there looks to be quite a few Fr that are tall. No idea on how much playing time they receive.

ISU looks very fast on the edges and the DBs look like they are very fast/aggressive/effective in run support (iirc from the games I saw). UT does not use a ton of screens or middle routes, although the slants come in to play during short yardage situations. UT really does not like to throw down the middle very often, which is reflected in Ehlinger's low INT numbers - it is very hard to intercept the high sideline throws, and that makes up most of his attempts. If they do throw middle-distance over the middle, the TE (Beck) will be the target more often than not. Limited number of catches, but makes the best of them.

On the flip-side, our defense is very mediocre. They have some talent, but a lot of youth to go with it and not much depth. The DL is 'eh' - Omenihu will make some plays and has an excellent nose for the ball, but he does not have a ton of help. Hager plays hard and will usually make a big play now and again, but will also overrun or fail to wrap up at some point. The LBs are across the board consistently 'good', but not great. They are faster than average, but (imho) are hampered somewhat by mediocre DL play. UT secondary is a mess most of the time. They have good hands and are athletic and have a good chance to get the INT if they are in the area - but they are often not in the area. Fr Sterns appears to be healthy again, and he has been a very important part of the secondary. Several other nagging injuries will hamper the secondary. Compared to previous years, the tackling has been more consistent and fewer YAC.

The pass rush has been slow to get to the QB, despite relatively frequently blitzing. Combined with the youth in the secondary, most teams have a field day passing and I don't expect ISU to find it any different. On the other hand, UT has been somewhat effective at red zone defense and holding teams to FGs close to the goal line. I suspect ISU will (should?) lean on the pass with some inside running to go with it.

The crowd should be fun for the game - perfect weather and the AD 'adjusted' the seating to encourage more students closer to the field and also reduced 'buzz kill' commercials and 'awards' during the game. Speaking of buzz - UT now serves alcohol at the games, so no need to sneak it in anymore, which was getting ever more difficult. The games have been loud this year and I think everyone knows this is a big game. Night games are louder anyway.

And do you all sit around beating yourselves up for not finding your 'real' QB sooner? I was trying to figure out how you lost to TCU, and that seems to be the answer. Is Kempt healthy as a backup? I have not followed his status. While searching quickly, I found the spring QB report for ISU that did not even mention Brock :D.

In any case, I figure ISU has a much more balance team (Off/Def) and I would not put a lot of money on UT winning. I think it comes down to the ISU oline play and whether than can give Brock time. Even with moderate time, he picks UT apart. Conversely, can ISU pressure Ehlinger enough to minimize downfield risk. But wth, doesn't it always really come down to the oline?

For bonus points, you all need to try and pick Ehlinter off - I think he is up to 276 attempts or something without an INT (none since the first game of the season).

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
[Longhorn here]
ISU has, by a huge margin, the best defense in the conference (not that y'all don't know that). I have watched a few of games that ISU has played (OU, Iowa, and parts of the WVU games), and it is immediately apparently how fast/confident the defense plays; hell, it doesn't look like a B12 defense at all. I don't expect UT to be able to generate a ton of rushing offense - the UT oline is okay, but not great. The zone-read will make up a lot of those rush attempts, and while Ehlinger can run 'effectively', he is in no way dangerous. UT will still likely try to keep Ehlinger protected long enough to throw downfield/sideline quite a bit. Johnson/Humprhries (and the UT offense) have relied on them going up and getting that ball on the sideline routes and I don't think there will be a lot of change there, at least no intentionally. I don't know the 2-deep for ISU, but it looks like the DBs are average size (neither small nor large), although there looks to be quite a few Fr that are tall. No idea on how much playing time they receive.

ISU looks very fast on the edges and the DBs look like they are very fast/aggressive/effective in run support (iirc from the games I saw). UT does not use a ton of screens or middle routes, although the slants come in to play during short yardage situations. UT really does not like to throw down the middle very often, which is reflected in Ehlinger's low INT numbers - it is very hard to intercept the high sideline throws, and that makes up most of his attempts. If they do throw middle-distance over the middle, the TE (Beck) will be the target more often than not. Limited number of catches, but makes the best of them.

On the flip-side, our defense is very mediocre. They have some talent, but a lot of youth to go with it and not much depth. The DL is 'eh' - Omenihu will make some plays and has an excellent nose for the ball, but he does not have a ton of help. Hager plays hard and will usually make a big play now and again, but will also overrun or fail to wrap up at some point. The LBs are across the board consistently 'good', but not great. They are faster than average, but (imho) are hampered somewhat by mediocre DL play. UT secondary is a mess most of the time. They have good hands and are athletic and have a good chance to get the INT if they are in the area - but they are often not in the area. Fr Sterns appears to be healthy again, and he has been a very important part of the secondary. Several other nagging injuries will hamper the secondary. Compared to previous years, the tackling has been more consistent and fewer YAC.

The pass rush has been slow to get to the QB, despite relatively frequently blitzing. Combined with the youth in the secondary, most teams have a field day passing and I don't expect ISU to find it any different. On the other hand, UT has been somewhat effective at red zone defense and holding teams to FGs close to the goal line. I suspect ISU will (should?) lean on the pass with some inside running to go with it.

The crowd should be fun for the game - perfect weather and the AD 'adjusted' the seating to encourage more students closer to the field and also reduced 'buzz kill' commercials and 'awards' during the game. Speaking of buzz - UT now serves alcohol at the games, so no need to sneak it in anymore, which was getting ever more difficult. The games have been loud this year and I think everyone knows this is a big game. Night games are louder anyway.

And do you all sit around beating yourselves up for not finding your 'real' QB sooner? I was trying to figure out how you lost to TCU, and that seems to be the answer. Is Kempt healthy as a backup? I have not followed his status. While searching quickly, I found the spring QB report for ISU that did not even mention Brock :D.

In any case, I figure ISU has a much more balance team (Off/Def) and I would not put a lot of money on UT winning. I think it comes down to the ISU oline play and whether than can give Brock time. Even with moderate time, he picks UT apart. Conversely, can ISU pressure Ehlinger enough to minimize downfield risk. But wth, doesn't it always really come down to the oline?

For bonus points, you all need to try and pick Ehlinter off - I think he is up to 276 attempts or something without an INT (none since the first game of the season).

Thanks for the write up!

Based on what you said, it sounds like the play on and around the O-line for us will be very important. I would speculate that we'd be willing to commit and extra blocker to the backfield most of the night (ie, whoever is RB stays in to block rather than going out, or frequent use of Soenbuckner (sp?).

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
[Longhorn here]

TCU also was a different team when we played them. Full strength, on the road.

I'm hoping our drop-8 will mess with Ehlinger a little bit, and also hope Heacock dials up some sneaky LB/CB blitzes every once in a while.

Help Support Us

Become a patron