Correct me if I'm wrong but a spread offense should

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert
As long as we are moving the ball down the field we could line up in FG formation for all I care. ARob is a very good back. The Army game for me was the point when I stopped saying "We will only be as good as AA lets us", and started saying "We will be as good as ARob makes us."

It is ARob's offense as far as I'm concerned. As long as he doesn't fumble, continues to catch the ball out of the backfield, and sees the holes like he does he can do great things with the D spread out. AA will end up doing fine in this offense, but ARob will be vital to how FAST Arnaud developes.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So, do these threads indicate that sportscasters don't always know that much about sports?
That's a nice surprise.

The sad thing is that the guys who know something are in a different part of the sports world such as Collin COwherd, Doug Gottlieb, Erik Kosselias, and other guys that have opinion shows. I listen to these guys if I want some insight. Not local pudds who don't know anything.

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
FWIW, Rice threw the ball an average of 37 times/game last season. Was that a product of the talent they had and Herman utilizing it or was it a trend of how much Herman wants to throw it regardless?

I think we've come to a conclusion that there are at least 2 types of spread offenses. One that chucks the ball all around (Mizzou, TTech, etc) and one that is more reliant on the running game (W. Virginia, Oregon, Michigan). Both offenses can work, as long as you're utilizing the personnel you have.

Who else's personnel would you be using? Better said, you plan your offense around the "talent" you have. I am curious where the "Hurry up" offense I heard all about is hiding. I could go to the bathroom, crap, shower and shave in the time it takes ISU to call a play, look over to the sidelines 4-5 times, look ahead, one more peek at the sidelines and finally snap the ball. Nice start regardless.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Who else's personnel would you be using? Better said, you plan your offense around the "talent" you have. I am curious where the "Hurry up" offense I heard all about is hiding. I could go to the bathroom, crap, shower and shave in the time it takes ISU to call a play, look over to the sidelines 4-5 times, look ahead, one more peek at the sidelines and finally snap the ball. Nice start regardless.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. That question usually only comes up when you have a new coach come in. ISU is in a unique spot in that Rhoads has inherited not only Chizik's players, but some of McCarney's players. So in this instance, he's using McCarney's and Chizik's, with a few of his guys sprinkled in there. You still plan your offense around the talent you have, but in some cases the talent you have doesn't fit what you want to do in your system. See: Michigan last year. That team had no business running the spread, but it's Rich Rod's offense and you saw how well they played. Round peg, meet square hole. This year they're much better with more of Rich Rod's players.

So do you use the talent you have the way it's meant to be used, or do you bite the bullet a couple years to develop a new system with players that aren't meant for it ? Michigan is an extreme case, but it's a good example. In ISU's case, we thought we had the personnel to throw the ball around a lot more. We thought we had a ton of great recievers and a very good qb (and I believe we still do), but it's taken a little more time for them to develop in this system.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009

It's not a hurry up and hike the ball offense. It's a hurry up and get to the line of scrimmage offense. That forces the defense to line up quickly without being able to substitute.

Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It's not a hurry up and hike the ball offense. It's a hurry up and get to the line of scrimmage offense. That forces the defense to line up quickly without being able to substitute.

I agree with ya wholeheartedly...watched blaine gabbert and mizzou hurry to the line of scrimmage then look over to the bench for the call....Just Like ISU is doing....

Our aka ISU's offense will evolve into a passing offense when we get more and better personnel which is suited and recruited for the spread offense..

We aka ISU is transitioning from a power running game to a spread offense game and its just gonna take some time to get there boys...

Go Clones RIP the mildcats from kansas!!!!!!!!:yes:

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Can't wait to listen to their show today. I wonder what "Don't be the guy that..." they do today. That's their fallback when they need to burn 15 minutes.