Cyclones AND the NFL 2020: Off-season, draft, contracts, season review

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I thought we could use a thread to post info on guys who have been in the NFL and MIGHT get to the NFL. We have some good stories from the 2019-2020 season such as Allen Lazard and David Montgomery, and we hope to see Hakeem Butler back and competing for time on the field next year.

I haven't seen much about our current seniors - at least the ones that don't play long-snapper - and whether we have a chance to get anyone in the draft this year. Maybe some of you folks that live in Central Iowa have heard more.

I'll post some summaries of the seasons that our current group had in the NFL this year.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Allen Lazard played in all 16 of the Packers' games but didn't really play offense beyond special teams until Week 6 vs. Detroit (when he made a big touchdown catch in a win). He ended the regular season with 35 catches, 477 yards (13.6 per catch), 3 TDs and 1 rush for 21 yards.

In the Pack's first playoff game vs. the Seahawks, he had no catches but 1 rush for 5 yards. In their loss to the 49ers, he had 3 catches for 36 yards.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Glancing over the roster at senior starters, is there buzz about any of these guys having a shot at getting drafted: M. Pettway, D. Jones, M. Spears, J. Good-Jones, J. Knipfel, J. Johnson, R. Lima, C. Olson and B. Meeker.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
A.J. Klein just finished his 7th NFL season (4 with the Panthers and 3 with the Saints). He finished the season 15 games played / 15 starts / 69 total tackles / 47 solo tackles / 2.5 sacks and 1 INT for a TD (see below). Pro Football Focus graded him out at 48.5, which, I'm guessing, is on a 100 scale (could be wrong).

I checked on his contract situation and he has 1 year left on his contract with the Saints for a cool $9M. It seems like only $1M of that is guaranteed so he could conceivably not be back with New Orleans. If he does play next year in the Big Easy, my guess is that he'd be the highest paid ex-Cyclones athlete (the NBA guys are all on rookie contracts and are under $2M; David M didn't even make $700k this year).

Another Cyclone picks off Will Grier:

PsychedCy09

Jul 8, 2018
Glancing over the roster at senior starters, is there buzz about any of these guys having a shot at getting drafted: M. Pettway, D. Jones, M. Spears, J. Good-Jones, J. Knipfel, J. Johnson, R. Lima, C. Olson and B. Meeker.

I’ve hear D. Jones name mentioned in some draft buzz but it’s a really talented WR class this year so he’s likely a late rounder at best. The other guys like Pettway, knipfel, Spears and Lima are likely to get a shot in camp with some teams I’d guess.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I’ve hear D. Jones name mentioned in some draft buzz but it’s a really talented WR class this year so he’s likely a late rounder at best. The other guys like Pettway, knipfel, Spears and Lima are likely to get a shot in camp with some teams I’d guess.

Yeah, I suppose if the NFL thought people might be draft-worthy, we'd be hearing about them more. I'm no expert but Deshaunte feels to me like a Wes Welker type in the NFL. At least in football, a decent number of un-drafted guys end up making it.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I imagine that a lot of CFers don't have much info on Jomal Wiltz, who played DB at ISU in 2015 and 2016 after playing juco ball at Trinity Valley in Texas. He was on the Pats' practice squad in 2017 and 2018 and then played with the Dolphins this season (Coach Flores had been in N. England so that may have helped).

Wiltz compiled some numbers this year for the Fins: 14 games / 6 starts / 58 total tackles (39 solo) and an interception of one of the worse passes in NFL history vs. the Jets (see below).

Wiltz made about $580k this year - good for him - and is under the contract to the Dolphins for next year. He has no guaranteed money so that basically means that he can't negotiate with anyone else but the Dolphins can cut him when they feel like it.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Here are my most recent predictions:

S. Wirtel - 7th round pick to Denver
R. Lima - 7th round pick to LA Rams
D. Jones - Undrafted free agent to New Orleans
L. Pettway - Undrafted free agent to Minnesota
J. Knipfel - Undrafted free agent to Arizona
B. Meeker - Undrafted free agent to Pittsburgh
J. Good-Jones - Undrafted free agent to Las Vegas
J. Johnson - Undrafted free agent to NY Jets
M. Leo - Undrafted free agent to Washington
M. Spears - Undrafted free agent to Kansas City
B. Lewis - Undrafted free agent to Chicago or Indianapolis

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

Thanks. That is an amazing level of specificity.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I checked on his contract situation and he has 1 year left on his contract with the Saints for a cool $9M. It seems like only $1M of that is guaranteed so he could conceivably not be back with New Orleans. If he does play next year in the Big Easy, my guess is that he'd be the highest paid ex-Cyclones athlete (the NBA guys are all on rookie contracts and are under $2M; David M didn't even make $700k this year).
I assume you mean highest paid next year, but Kelechi Osemele made $9.7M in 2018 in salary and $10.5M after bonuses and incentives. He's just over $46M in his 8 seasons.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I assume you mean highest paid next year, but Kelechi Osemele made $9.7M in 2018 in salary and $10.5M after bonuses and incentives. He's just over $46M in his 8 seasons.
Good point. But yes, I was talking base salary. I didn't think of him at the time. I hope he sues the J-E-T-S and makes another $46M. They weren't very ethical with his injury.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

I'd love to see Spears get a shot with the Chiefs. I expect them to upgrade in the linebacker position in FA or early in the draft, but it is one of their areas of need. A friend of mine (KU fan) taught him in high school and followed his career at ISU. She would go bonkers if he made it into a Chiefs jersey.