Dale Williams dead at age 93...........

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
And some of you youngsters are saying: "Who in God's green acre is Dale Williams!", or some much more colorful expression.

Well, an old guy like me remembers him well. He was the voice of the Cyclones before Pete Taylor was born. In fact, I suspect that Pete cut his teeth on listening to Dale. I remember as a very very young whipersnapper in the early 50's first being introduced to Cyclone football and basketball by Dale Williams. I remember calls like:

"Seventy yards from Weeks to Doran, Hoooollly Cow!, what a pass!" Dale liked to say Holy Cow a lot - why, I don't know.

I listened to him during the Dirty Thirty years, hanging on his every word when players like Dwight Nichols, Cliff Rick, and John Cooper took the field. I remember him calling games like the Iowa State basketball victory over Kansas and Wilt the Stilt.

He was the voice of the Cyclones from 1943 until 1968. So who was Dale Williams? A Cyclone, and a boyhood friend of mine, even though I never met him, and he never knew I existed. I guess sports memories are kind like that.

Rest in peace Mr. Williams.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
heard this on the radio... sounds like he was a true cyclone
I never have heard of him before today since I wasnt born untill the 80's
but anyway rest in peace he will be missed from the cyclone family

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
williams was a long time associate of WOI RADIO AND TV. DALE USED TO GIVE FARM NEWS ON THE NOON HOUR REPORT ON WOI RADIO AND ON WOI TV.i worked with him when i was an undergraduate at WOI radio.was a very wonderful and neat guy and a true cyclone.dale rest in peace and condolences to your family.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Unfortunately, I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard of him. :sad: However RIP Mr. Williams. From what I've read and learned, a true Cyclone indeed. :smile:

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
Sorry to hear about Mr. Williams' passing. He was a big part of listening to WOI in the 50's and 60's when I was growing up. Guess I didn't listen to game broadcasts much then, but I do recall his "Holy Cows!!" Rest in Peace, Dale. You truly were a Cyclone.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
cyowa, thx for posting this. I'm just a little too young to remember him...won't be much longer that I can say this.

RIP Mr. Williams.