Final Amway Coaches Poll and AP Polls

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Neither Iowa or Iowa State made the final coaches poll which seems crazy to me. Miss State came in at #25. West Virginia somehow managed to still come in at #22 even after their shellacking in their bowl game. Iowa State was even further down the list at what would amount to be #30.

In the AP listing, Iowa landed at #25 while Iowa State fell all the way to #31 behind powerhouses UAB and App State. Again, West Virginia stayed in at #20. Strange things...

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Isn't it pretty well known that not a lot of thought goes into these polls? A guy looks at his previous week's poll and who won and who lost. If a team lost they go down a couple notches, if they won they stay put or rise a few spots. Not a lot of rational analysis goes into these rankings.

On a similar note I see the Football Writers selected their Freshmen All-American team. Quarterbacks are Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) and Adrian Martinez (Nebraska). So Brock Purdy has the 6th highest QB rating. Lawrence is at #13 and Martinez is #50. But despite his much lower rating, don't forget that Martinez did lead his team to a 4 - 8 record!

So, again, not a lot of thought or analysis goes into these things.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/qb-rating-ncaa

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I can't believe that. Lose by 2 points to the #10 team out of the rankings....

Georgia loses to Texas and falls like 2 spots

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
If they did a final final CFP ranking, ISU would have a shot at staying in Top 25. There is no way WVU would remain ahead of ISU. As it is, I guess we can still say we were ranked in the final CFP.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I didn’t think we’d be ranked but the WV ranking was strange to me.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This is just fine with me. CMC makes his living being the under-respected/undervalued guy. I hope were always considered the underdog.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I can kinda see us not being ranked, with 5 losses. It is odd that Iowa isn't ranked and Miss State is in one of the polls. Not that there is anything wrong with that...

Oh well, next year's ranking is the important one now.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Karma for the dicks beating their chest when talking to the mouth-breathers out East about how one of us was ranked at the end of the regular season.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Still feel like ISU is a top 25 team or close to it. Doesn't really matter at this point. Have to give the Pirate the win for coaching in the bowl game. They were doing something to mess up our OL and CMC did not come up with a way to counter it. Talent wise ISU was the better team.

• Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Still feel like ISU is a top 25 team or close to it. Doesn't really matter at this point. Have to give the Pirate the win for coaching in the bowl game. They were doing something to mess up our OL and CMC did not come up with a way to counter it. Talent wise ISU was the better team.

I think we're top 25, but oh well. Had we won that game, where do we end up? I would've thought high teens?

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
The voters rightly didnt count the bowl loss. One, Syracuse is good, they almost beat clemson.
Two, WVU's qb didnt play, 2 of their starting wr's didnt play, their best offensive tackle(1st or 2nd rounder) didnt play.

Given that, i think most voters looked at how WVU did in the regular season. Drubbed Tenn, blew out bowl winners TCU and Baylor, and beat Sugar Bowl champion texas on the road.

The losses to OU was 59-56, and the close loss in stillwater is forgivable. Iowa State was the only bad loss on the schedule, not because ISU isnt good, but because WVU didnt show up to play. WVU wasn't up for that game and was badly outplayed.

Most likely WVU's AD started his coaching search that night. You dont get a new coach in 3 days. The vetting and search had to be going on for quite some time.

All that said, ISU was a top 25 team with Purdy. But ISU had a losing record before starting Purdy, and that likely did you guys in on the rankings. WVU was your best win, too. You failed to beat either of the "big boys."

• Dislike
Reactions: BoxsterCy
P

Pollard4Life

Control what we can control. If year end rankings matter, which I believe they do to the kids, the coaches and the recruiting pitch our coaches share with preps, then we need to keep doing more to change the perception of our program. Same goes for the Hawkeyes. Both programs could have done more to lock in a top 25 ranking, and my bet is CMC is focusing on getting better rather than the final polls.