Football books

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I just finished reading an incredible football book, so I thought it might be worth starting a thread for people to share recommended reading.

I just read "The Perfect Pass" by SC Gwynne- a book I first saw mentioned by @qwerty in an unrelated thread. If you like books on football history and strategy, this is a must read.

It centers around Hal Mumme's coaching history and philosophies, his work with Mike Leach at little ol' Iowa Wesleyan, and how their Air Raid system revolutionized college football. Frankly, this man's offensive philosophies ultimately shaped Big 12 football.

If you have other good football book recommendations, please share!

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I just finished reading an incredible football book, so I thought it might be worth starting a thread for people to share recommended reading.

I just read "The Perfect Pass" by SC Gwynne- a book I first saw mentioned by @qwerty in an unrelated thread. If you like books on football history and strategy, this is a must read.

It is a good book and is available through many libraries. I know it is available through the Rivershare (Eastern Iowa/Western Illinois) library system. That is how I found it and read it.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Instant Replay: The Green Bay Diary of Jerry Kramer

I remember reading it when I was 15 or so (my dad gave me his old copy). It goes on at length about life of a pro back in the Lombardi days. Easy and entertaining.

• Winner
Reactions: Acylum

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I’ve read a lot of autobiographical books by college coaches. Some of my favorites are Wins Losses and Lessons by Lou Holtz, the most recent one by Bob Stoops (I can’t remember the name of it) and even Beating Goliath by art briles. I have a preference for hearing first hand accounts when reading these types of books. There are many other that get written about the coaches or people involved and they are almost never as good. I remember really liking When the Game stands Tall many years ago. The movie was awful.

edit: bob stoops No Excuses

Reactions: psychlone99

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Paper Lion by George Plimpton. I read it 40 years ago and remember it as being pretty good.

imaclone2

Jun 7, 2008
I enjoyed "Sacred Acre" about Coach Ed Thomas at Arlington Parkersburg. Unbelievable to see 4 of his players make it to the NFL. Heck of an accomplishment for a small school.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

It centers around Hal Mumme's coaching history and philosophies, his work with Mike Leach at little ol' Iowa Wesleyan, and how their Air Raid system revolutionized college football. Frankly, this man's offensive philosophies ultimately shaped Big 12 football.

In 1990, I was the asst. coach at a school in SE Iowa, and we went over to Mt. Pleasant for their football clinic, we listen to what Mumme, Leach and the rest of the staff said, and that they were opening up with NEMS the next week.
We went home thinking "these guys are crazy, and its never going to work", throwing the ball around play after play.

I can say we talked to them when they were nobody's, and look what Mumme and Leach did after that, the former WV coach currently at Houston was also on the staff. Sometimes you meet a genius, and never realize it until years later.

Michaelgraham

Jan 26, 2022
I’ve read a lot of autobiographical books by college coaches. Some of my favorites are Wins Losses and Lessons by Lou Holtz, the most recent one by Bob Stoops (I can’t remember the name of it) and even Beating Goliath by art briles. I have a preference for hearing first hand accounts when reading these types of books. There are many other that get written about the coaches or people involved and they are almost never as good. I remember really liking When the Game stands Tall many years ago. The movie was awful.

edit: bob stoops No Excuses
I have also read many such books. Of course, I also know Wins Losses and Lessons by Lou Holtz. I can’t remember the book that I remember the most ... As soon as I remember, I will write!

Michaelgraham

Jan 26, 2022
In 1990, I was the asst. coach at a school in SE Iowa, and we went over to Mt. Pleasant for their football clinic, we listen to what Mumme, Leach and the rest of the staff said, and that they were opening up with NEMS the next week.
We went home thinking "these guys are crazy, and its never going to work", throwing the ball around play after play.

I can say we talked to them when they were nobody's, and look what Mumme and Leach did after that, the former WV coach currently at Houston was also on the staff. Sometimes you meet a genius, and never realize it until years later.

I guess I agree with the person who wrote above. I remembered this book thanks to him - Paper Lion by George Plimpton. I have re-read it 10 times. At the moment I have enrolled in courses and I need more time for hobbies. I turned to speech writers, found https://edubirdie.com/speech-writers for this. Hobby as you understand it is football and everything connected with it. If someone knows more books about this area, I will be very glad to advice.
Here is the story!! Everything happens. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron