Going to Stillwater - 2020 COVID-19 Style

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
After we beat Tech, I splurged and got 2 tickets for a buddy and I to go to the game this Saturday. Found a hotel pretty cheap.

No tailgating allowed at Boone Pickens Stadium. We're planning on arriving between 11 AM - 12 PM and finding a sports bar for pre-game food and drinks.

Anyone have any suggestions on places to go? And I suppose I just need to buy a parking pass to park next to the stadium? I'm sure they'd be cheap since only 13k fans are allowed.

Any suggestions for places to go after the game for dinner/night life? Are bars open in Stillwater?

zeke

Apr 11, 2006
When we went two years ago, we parked at a CVS (North Main Street and Hall of Fame Ave.) N of the stadium. Had to go inside and pay and money went to a charity. Can't remember if it was $10 or $20. Easy walk to the stadium.

Reactions: cstrunk

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Yes, Joe's is 5 minutes walk from stadium. Best chili cheese fries in OK.

There used to be a Joe’s in Ames where Boulder Taphouse is now. The two things I remember most about it are the chili cheese fries and the big 32 ounce beers for like $3. Good times

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
After we beat Tech, I splurged and got 2 tickets for a buddy and I to go to the game this Saturday. Found a hotel pretty cheap.

No tailgating allowed at Boone Pickens Stadium. We're planning on arriving between 11 AM - 12 PM and finding a sports bar for pre-game food and drinks.

Anyone have any suggestions on places to go? And I suppose I just need to buy a parking pass to park next to the stadium? I'm sure they'd be cheap since only 13k fans are allowed.

Any suggestions for places to go after the game for dinner/night life? Are bars open in Stillwater?

Been considering this but haven't pulled the trigger yet so kudos to you for going! Did you get tix via the OSU Ticket Exchange or another secondary market option? Just curious as I still think there is hope but the ticket situation is obviously limited due to distancing and capacity limits. Typically I would just drive down and find some outside.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Been considering this but haven't pulled the trigger yet so kudos to you for going! Did you get tix via the OSU Ticket Exchange or another secondary market option? Just curious as I still think there is hope but the ticket situation is obviously limited due to distancing and capacity limits. Typically I would just drive down and find some outside.

Stubhub. I think they were listed around $140/ea but ended up being $181/ea after their ridiculous fees. For a Top 20 match-up in 2020 and a chance to visit a new Big 12 stadium and represent ISU... I was willing to pay the price.

I don't know how scalping works now. Think all the tickets are virtual?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Stubhub. I think they were listed around $140/ea but ended up being $181/ea after their ridiculous fees. For a Top 20 match-up in 2020 and a chance to visit a new Big 12 stadium and represent ISU... I was willing to pay the price.

I don't know how scalping works now. Think all the tickets are virtual?
Buying tix from a guy wearing a mask, that you can’t get within six feet of? Seems legit.

OldCurmudgeon

Nov 25, 2017
I don't know what's open, but Eskimo Joe's is the only bar to go before and after games.

Hideaway pizza is also a Stillwater institution.

Gotta have the Hawaiian pizza at the Hideaway. I wonder if they still have the Othello boards imbedded in the tables... Spent a lot of time there when Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders were at OSU. From what I've seen the town has really changed.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
There used to be a Joe’s in Ames where Boulder Taphouse is now. The two things I remember most about it are the chili cheese fries and the big 32 ounce beers for like $3. Good times

There was never an Eskimo Joe's in Ames. Pretty sure it has only ever had a location in Stillwater. Not sure what was there before Boulder Tap House but it was not affiliated with Eskimo Joes.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
Its been 26 years since i got my MS from OSU...We liked George's Stables. An old dive bar with pool tables directly across the street from Eskimo Joes. If it were me, i'd try to do both. Get the blackened chicken sandwich and chili cheese fries at Joes.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
There was never an Eskimo Joe's in Ames. Pretty sure it has only ever had a location in Stillwater. Not sure what was there before Boulder Tap House but it was not affiliated with Eskimo Joes.

Yeah it wasn’t Eskimo but still a Joe’s and it did have great chili cheese fries. lol

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Last time I was in Stillwater for the game, I sat next to Kevin Lazard at Eskimo Joe's and had a good time. Great guy.
If it's still there, we had some good burgers the night before at the Garage.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron