how does this scam work?

JustBecause

Oct 21, 2021
I guarantee if you call the bank and tell them that you think you have a fraudulent check with their bank info on it they are going to want to look into it.
I have reported more than a dozen scam checks and its surprisingly hard to do. They really dont seem to care that much.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
My wife works for a banking group, fraud really started to amp up last summer and has not dropped off.

Our biz works with customers all over the world, some in dodgy places. Totally agree the amount of fraud and scams (and especially cyber crime) has gone up EXPONENTIALLY in the past year or two. Its insane.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
when the check clears, it is clear, no? what is the point of having a check clear if it really sin't clear? is this a common misconception?

So I deposit checks a lot, especially via mobile app. I've had them clear but then a couple days later the person didn't have the funds so the deposit leaves my account. Luckily I have access to view a lot of my business clients bank accounts so I can then redeposit the check once they replenish the accounts.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Not necessarily, there is so much check fraud now that many will not even assist other banks, let alone a stranger on the phone. How do they know that you are not a scammer phishing for info?

My experience with this is as follows:

You call the bank, ask them to verify if there are enough funds in account #_______ to cover a check you have and they simply answer Yes or No. No other details given. I had a guy a few years ago I sold race parts to and I called his bank twice a day to check and as soon as they gave me the Yes I re-deposited it.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I think everyone is missing the big picture here.

Who in the hell has a 3000 lb welding table they are trying to get rid of quick?

I would be worried that the ad was the scam. LOL
can't blame you there. company is moving and instead of moving this giant table (that is too big for our needs) figured we'd sell it quick and dirty and use that money for a more appropriately sized table that could be shipped to us.

bought that table for a song 7 years ago. used it for 7 years and doubled our money. probably could have easily tripled it if we had more time to get rid of it.

5' x 10' x 5/8" thick. monster table. probably could have held the weight of rhode island on it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My experience with this is as follows:

You call the bank, ask them to verify if there are enough funds in account #_______ to cover a check you have and they simply answer Yes or No. No other details given. I had a guy a few years ago I sold race parts too and I called his bank twice a day to check and as soon as they gave me the Yes I re-deposited it.
I bought a tractor about 2 years ago and the bank wouldn’t give a yes or no. I had to call the bank to let them tell him it was okay. The dude was a nervous guy anyhow. I paid him a week before I picked it up. In the end the jackwagon had a sold me one with a bad front end. 15k to get it like it should be. Why I buy from dealerships.

• Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
can't blame you there. company is moving and instead of moving this giant table (that is too big for our needs) figured we'd sell it quick and dirty and use that money for a more appropriately sized table that could be shipped to us.

bought that table for a song 7 years ago. used it for 7 years and doubled our money. probably could have easily tripled it if we had more time to get rid of it.

5' x 10' x 5/8" thick. monster table. probably could have held the weight of rhode island on it.
If you are taking that big of a haircut, I’m sure you have a torch, cut it into some basic pieces and weld it back up in the new place. You can cut it to size beforehand.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
facebook marketplace
giant welding table for sale. probably weighs 3000 lbs

There were red flags all over the place, but I dipped my toe in the water because I need this thing gone. they said "will you take a check as long as it clears before I send movers to pick it up?" I said sure. they send the check but it is for more than the price of the item and they say "oh sorry forgot to inform you, I didn't want to send 2 checks so you'll have to pay the movers out of the single check I sent you". It was a little over 1k more than the table price.

I said no, absolutely not. they deleted our correspondence. this is obviously a scam. but how does it work? If the check clears, I have their money and the welding table and they have nothing. If the check doesn't clear the deal is off, and I move on and no one wins.
I can’t believe you let it go past I’ll send a check. Lol.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
There is a similar scam with job seekers as the target. They advertise remote jobs and when they "hire" the person, they claim they will pay the person's WFH equipment. I accepted a consulting position that tried this and they FedEx'd me a check for like $4500. I was already suspicious but I let it play out until I got the check. The check listed a different company's name and address which was a dead giveaway, but I took it to the bank and asked the teller to inspect it. She was 99% certain it was bogus. I blocked the guy and funny enough, another FedEx'd check showed up the next week. They probably wasted about $40 trying to reel me in.

JustBecause

Oct 21, 2021
Small business owner?
Yes. I get a lot of scammers trying to pull this. I make them send me the check every time to waste their time and money. I have a collection on my desk. I suspect they get a lot of people based on the questions I see in the industry facebook group.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
facebook marketplace
giant welding table for sale. probably weighs 3000 lbs

There were red flags all over the place, but I dipped my toe in the water because I need this thing gone. they said "will you take a check as long as it clears before I send movers to pick it up?" I said sure. they send the check but it is for more than the price of the item and they say "oh sorry forgot to inform you, I didn't want to send 2 checks so you'll have to pay the movers out of the single check I sent you". It was a little over 1k more than the table price.

I said no, absolutely not. they deleted our correspondence. this is obviously a scam. but how does it work? If the check clears, I have their money and the welding table and they have nothing. If the check doesn't clear the deal is off, and I move on and no one wins.
Video describing the scam in more detail