Howard Brown up 20+ lbs?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Brown is an interesting prospect. He could be a very good NT, and in very short time, as NT is really all about pushing in the middle of the OL. Not a lot of reads or worries about getting out of a lane or getting suckered on a screen pass. Just low pads and plug up the middle of the line. Lima was a great at this.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
We are very lucky to have Coach Rasheed. What he has done with our D-Line is nothing short of amazing. Plus, how about the badass beard he is rocking now. Excited to see how this unit plays this year. Loaded with experience and talent. Plus it will be fun to see some of the young guys get on the field.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
We are very lucky to have Coach Rasheed. What he has done with our D-Line is nothing short of amazing. Plus, how about the badass beard he is rocking now. Excited to see how this unit plays this year. Loaded with experience and talent. Plus it will be fun to see some of the young guys get on the field.

Agreed, after listening to him talk a few times I hope we can keep him around a hell of a long time.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Agreed, after listening to him talk a few times I hope we can keep him around a hell of a long time.
Coach Rasheed and Coach Heacock have totally changed the direction of our program. His work on the D line (rasheed) has been extraordinary. He would probably get my vote for DC when jon hangs it up (i'm sure tyson veit would be highly capable too).

Regarding Brown I think he can be a Tuba Rubin quality DL for us. Put him in the weight room 18 months and on a better diet and he will be a monster. He doesn't need to play this year at all but may a little if he's too good to keep off the field.

A misconception against McDonald I think is that he's a pass rusher only. In the game tape last year he was extremely stiff against the run too. He's simply much much stronger than his weight would indicate, just freaky twitchy and strong.

Whomever starts opposite Will M at the other DE position will have a huge opportunity this year. I say that b/c he will be getting double teamed on the other side constantly.

Who do you all think wins the other DE spot? Blake Peterson? Johnny Wilson?

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
Coach Rasheed and Coach Heacock have totally changed the direction of our program. His work on the D line (rasheed) has been extraordinary. He would probably get my vote for DC when jon hangs it up (i'm sure tyson veit would be highly capable too).

Regarding Brown I think he can be a Tuba Rubin quality DL for us. Put him in the weight room 18 months and on a better diet and he will be a monster. He doesn't need to play this year at all but may a little if he's too good to keep off the field.

A misconception against McDonald I think is that he's a pass rusher only. In the game tape last year he was extremely stiff against the run too. He's simply much much stronger than his weight would indicate, just freaky twitchy and strong.

Whomever starts opposite Will M at the other DE position will have a huge opportunity this year. I say that b/c he will be getting double teamed on the other side constantly.

Who do you all think wins the other DE spot? Blake Peterson? Johnny Wilson?

I thought about saying I hope he is the next d coordinator but don’t know enough about him on scheme. He turned our weakest spot into one of our best.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This was at last season's weight so can people stop being obsessed with him needing to gain 15-20 lbs to be a complete player.
Coach Rasheed literally just said that Will’s biggest room improvement is nutrition and in the weight room.

If he’s about 240 now, I hope he hits 250 by the start of the season—and 260 by the time he’s off for the NFL.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yep, and I think the rotation keeps them fresh for the late game.
I think that was a big problem on the CPR years. He didn't have the depth to rotate players so the team would start wearing down midway through the 3rd quarter and then the 4th was just a mess.
You could see from day one that CMC was working on creating real depth.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Question about defense/offensive players:

Do defenseive players ever work with the offense (outside of scrimage) on ways to counter certian players, counter moves, to improve their skills? Over vice-versa?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Do defenseive players ever work with the offense (outside of scrimage) on ways to counter certian players, counter moves, to improve their skills? Over vice-versa?
Coaches will drill techniques with their positions.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Coach Rasheed says Howard Brown is up to around 330 lbs of good weight... how much will he play this year? Even if he doesn't start, could he be playing half (or more) of the snaps by the end of the year? I know he is raw at DL but if he played QB gotta think he can learn DL... anyway really excited to see what he can do this year and the rest of his career.
I want to see him later QB on 4th and short!

Reactions: wintersmd

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017

Only if you're Joel Lanning

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I don't know about half or more, but this staff likes to rotate guys in and get them experience, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit the field quite often.

The rotation of guys makes the fact that so many starters returning will be even more advantageous for the younger guys to learn from. They don't have to be the man right off the bat. (Having said that, I don't know how many transferred out due to playing time worries with so many returning)

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Coach Rasheed says Howard Brown is up to around 330 lbs of good weight... how much will he play this year? Even if he doesn't start, could he be playing half (or more) of the snaps by the end of the year? I know he is raw at DL but if he played QB gotta think he can learn DL... anyway really excited to see what he can do this year and the rest of his career.
He said he added 20 lbs of good weight. He probably lost some bad weight too. I'm guessing he's around 305 - 315.