I hope the refs don't swallow their whistles of KSU returns

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I know that Bill Snyder has always had his guys hold, grab , tackle, maybe bite on kick and punt returns, hoping to break a big return. Let's hope the refs don't shy away from flagging them for it, like they have in so many ISU vs KSU games in the past.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I know that Bill Snyder has always had his guys hold, grab , tackle, maybe bite on kick and punt returns, hoping to break a big return. Let's hope the refs don't shy away from flagging them for it, like they have in so many ISU vs KSU games in the past.

Who can forget the one from a decade ago now (1999) where, when we were leading 28-7, someone on K-State's punt return team flat out drilled one of our coverage guys between the numbers on his back as he was breaking down to tackle the returner after he caught the ball - which was the key block to returning it for a TD and began the subsequent collapse in that game...

I think I was more ****** at the refs for not throwing the flag on that play than the dirty hit itself...

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009

Their Dbacks have a similar approach when defending receivers. They usually get called for interference a few times a game, but they get away with much more. That concerns me a little about tomorrow because our receivers already need to improve on separating themselves from the defender.

kougar24

Jan 25, 2008
Damn, someone finally figured out the key to Bill Snyder's success! Alas, all is lost!!!!!!

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Who can forget the one from a decade ago now (1999) where, when we were leading 28-7, someone on K-State's punt return team flat out drilled one of our coverage guys between the numbers on his back as he was breaking down to tackle the returner after he caught the ball - which was the key block to returning it for a TD and began the subsequent collapse in that game...

I think I was more ****** at the refs for not throwing the flag on that play than the dirty hit itself...

Indeed! I remember that same play. I think this game, because it was early in the conference schedule if my memory serves me right, kept us out of a bowl and pushed back our first bowl to the next year (if I remember correctly). I know we only got 4 wins that year, would have been 5 with K-State, but I think we may have gone on to win one more if we would have won the K-State game. I hardily booed the refs on that play.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Their Dbacks have a similar approach when defending receivers. They usually get called for interference a few times a game, but they get away with much more. That concerns me a little about tomorrow because our receivers already need to improve on separating themselves from the defender.

This is one of my bigger concerns as well. Iowa is fantastic at grabbing jerseys of WRs as they get buy the DBs and when we already lack separation ability facing that style again will probably cause some issues.

Hopefully they get caught on an obvious one early and get gunshy after.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

There was a missed infraction on the punt return, but it likely would not have made a difference in the outcome of the game. The tide had already turned late in the 2nd qtr when KSU began to shut down our offense and was able to drive for their 1st score. They changed QB's and drove for another score early in the 3rd qtr to make it 28-14 with all of the momentum. We did nothing on the next possession and the subsequent punt was the controversial play that allowed KSU to make it 28-21.

The way the game was playing out, it's doubtful that we would have stopped them on that possession even if they had to go a longer distance. There was still plenty of time in the game and KSU completely owned the 2nd half.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There was a missed infraction on the punt return, but it likely would not have made a difference in the outcome of the game. The tide had already turned late in the 2nd qtr when KSU began to shut down our offense and was able to drive for their 1st score. They changed QB's and drove for another score early in the 3rd qtr to make it 28-14 with all of the momentum. We did nothing on the next possession and the subsequent punt was the controversial play that allowed KSU to make it 28-21.

The way the game was playing out, it's doubtful that we would have stopped them on that possession even if they had to go a longer distance. There was still plenty of time in the game and KSU completely owned the 2nd half.

It's definitely possible. But that punt return and the missed block in the back was certainly a punch in the stomach, and any thought of holding onto the lead after that was pretty much gone. Up until that point there was still hope. After that play, hope was gone.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
After the missed call it was 28-21. Yes, it was a missed call. ISU still led by 7. Why was all hope lost? KSUs QB had played so poorly that the back up QB was playing. One bad call and a team and its fans lay down and quit? Those are not the Cyclones I have grown to appreciate.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
After the missed call it was 28-21. Yes, it was a missed call. ISU still led by 7. Why was all hope lost? KSUs QB had played so poorly that the back up QB was playing. One bad call and a team and its fans lay down and quit? Those are not the Cyclones I have grown to appreciate.

You don't remember our team from the 1990s, do you? The early 2000s were when we actually started developing some positive expectations...

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I remember that game quite well. You just knew when that kid scored on the punt return that we were totally screwed. The momentum shift in that game was anything but subtle. I actually thought of that game sitting in the stands at Kinnick after we just finished our huge comeback win in 2002. Finally one that went our way.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I remember ISU football in the 90s quite well. I was in JT to see the Clones get outplayed by UNI and was back for more the same season to see them ruffle Tommy Frazier's feathers and send the Huskers back to Lincoln with a big L.

Yes, you are correct. Those teams were not talent laden. They reminded me way too much of the pre Snyder KSU teams--a few talented individuals but as a group they left much to be desired.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

However, the punt returner caught the ball deep in their own territory (10 yd line?). If that play is called back, they are in a deep hole with wind taken out of their sail. Even if KSU scores on that possession, it may have taken them a LOT more time to score - shortening the game even more! Anyway, that blown call was one of the worst I have actually witnessed live in my entire life! Tomorrow, if we surge to a 28 pt lead, I don't see KSU having the horses to come back.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron