I'm not a coach but....(playcalling)

hall4cy

Oct 22, 2007
Dallas, TX
So before everyone jumps all over me about "CMC knows better than all of us" and "you aren't a coach so you dont know" talk. I would like to know 2 things about our play calling.

1. Offense : We have Breece Hall, the guy runs for positive gains and makes people miss. We have a line that opens holes for him and he averages over 4 yards a carry. Why do you stop feeding him the rock the entire 2nd half? We become so 1 dimensional on offense instead of wearing down a defense and holding a lead!

2. Defense : Why do we constantly see 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12, 2 and 35 etc etc, and we rush 3, get zero pressure on the quarterback (obviously) and the other teams offense consistently gets 1st downs? It is maddening. I wish someone would run a stat to see what team leads the nation is 3rd and longs given up, because we would have to be near the top. I for one would rather see a 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 6 versus a 3rd and long with this team because of the way we soften our playcalling.

Great to get a win this week, but that game should never have been in doubt. If we pressure Elinger like we did the rest of the 1st half it is 10 to 0 and we roll in a victory instead of biting our nails into the last seconds down by 1.

Ok Trolls, attack!

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Weird flex to pick 2 - 3 play calls out of a day full of amazing stops by the D. And then the O had 466 yards offense. But go on...

BTW:
1) one massive stop on 4th down (actually thought there were two)
2) Six 3&outs
3) Held UT to 54 total rushing yards
4) Two sacks (while allowing only 1)
5) Brock had 354 yards passing (which is likely why we passed so much)
6) Breece still had 101 yards rushing, but we'd gotten to the point where they'd stopped it to start 2H

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So before everyone jumps all over me about "CMC knows better than all of us" and "you aren't a coach so you dont know" talk. I would like to know 2 things about our play calling.

1. Offense : We have Breece Hall, the guy runs for positive gains and makes people miss. We have a line that opens holes for him and he averages over 4 yards a carry. Why do you stop feeding him the rock the entire 2nd half? We become so 1 dimensional on offense instead of wearing down a defense and holding a lead!

2. Defense : Why do we constantly see 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12, 2 and 35 etc etc, and we rush 3, get zero pressure on the quarterback (obviously) and the other teams offense consistently gets 1st downs? It is maddening. I wish someone would run a stat to see what team leads the nation is 3rd and longs given up, because we would have to be near the top. I for one would rather see a 3rd and 4 or 3rd and 6 versus a 3rd and long with this team because of the way we soften our playcalling.

Great to get a win this week, but that game should never have been in doubt. If we pressure Elinger like we did the rest of the 1st half it is 10 to 0 and we roll in a victory instead of biting our nails into the last seconds down by 1.

Ok Trolls, attack!
I think Texas did a good job of adjusting to our run game in the second half. There were a lot of times they stuffed Hall for 0 yards or a loss on 1st down, and then we were in obvious passing situations. Purdy overall played great but there were a few throws, especially in the second half, where he missed a couple of guys here and there and then the drive would stall out.

Defensively on 3rd and 35, you should rarely ever send pressure. You play a prevent type defense that's going to not give up a first down. I understand that Texas made a great play, but there was an obvious hold that wasn't called and if Enyi gets to Ehlinger, he'd be throwing that ball under pressure or it would've been a sack. Our defense played pretty great all things considered. I believe I read we held them to 3-and-outs on 50% of their drives.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
In all the years of watching college football, there are only a very few times I left not thinking I would have ran something else at some point of the game. That is all games, all coaches, even the best ones.

Our school or someone else's. Sometimes coaches try to be unpredictable at the wrong time.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems pretty simple:

1. Brock Purdy is really good.
2. Given enough time, a QB like Ehlinger is going to find somebody open.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Disagree on both accounts. The defense had what I would say is about three lapses the entire game against an offense full of 4* or better recruits. Otherwise the defense was outstanding.

-Lapse one was the long pass against the prevent defense allowing Texas to score before halftime.
-Lapse two was giving up the 30+ yard pass on 2nd and 35.
-Lapse three was the few times Ellinger ran the ball himself since everyone else was covered. Otherwise the defense was outstanding.

On offense, keep in mind that Breece Hall is a freshman. He had 24 carries and that doesn't count all the times he picked up blitzes and Texas sent a lot of them. He might have been banged up a little or just tired. If you want to knock anything offensively I would knock the ability to finish drives since they put up over 400 yards and only scored two touchdowns.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The blitz call on when they had the ball on our 19 yard line was a head scratcher though. I thought for sure they would pull back. Rose came from the outside, just had to much ground to cover to get there.

• Winner
Reactions: wclarson

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Offense - Hall had 24 carries on the day and 10 in the second half. I think the complaints of abandoning the run at times this year are valid, but probably not in a game where Hall got those touches and the offense put up 460 yards. The struggles finishing drives are frustrating but it's not a simple solution. At times it's been going away from the running game perhaps, but there are a lot of factors there.

Defense - At the end of the day, Texas averages 3 punts a game and vs. ISU they punted it maybe 8 times? The D was downright dominant given the opponent and what they had done to everybody else this year. The end of the first half score sucked, but without the questionable timeout usage it's not an issue and ISU goes into the half with a shutout.

In general, people see a big play vs. the 3 man rush, and see a sack when ISU brings pressure and thinks it's a matter of bringing pressure more.
- ISU has had tons of success dropping 8 for good portions of games.
- Rushing 3 or bringing the heat all has downsides that can be exploited. See Okie St. for the downside when someone makes the correct read and play when you blitz.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't agree with prevent defense if the opponent really hasn't been a deep threat. Make them beat you. It's not like there was anything prevented anyway. That includes the first half.

I need to watch the 2nd half...sounded like some drives stalled and it was due to pulling the ball away from the sticks instead of just going with the 3 TE set and getting the first down. Impose your will and get them even more down. About twice a game Manning does this and it's often with some sort of set/formation that the team looks out of sorts running.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
On 2nd and 35 Iowa State was getting pressure up the middle despite rushing 3. Our rusher beat the blockers and the blocker tackled him. That bought time for the completion.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
My only minor gripe against Manning is our lack of a screen game. I think a few good TE screen plays would be great when the opposition brings a blitz.

I guess being a Chiefs fan, no one designs a better screen game than Andy Reid. Wonder why we can't steal some plays.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I thought the defense played a very good game, minus the drive to end the first half, the 2nd and 35 and then the 4th down play where Ehlinger evaded 3 pass rushers by simply changing directions. Offensively, I wasn’t a huge fan of the playcalling in the fourth quarter but I also thought Texas made good adjustments so that’s probably why

isualums

Jan 9, 2018
The first post is exactly what everyone in our section was saying during the game. There were several poor play calls on offense and defense. The team played great. Short yardage and running a rollout pass as opposed to going up the middle where we were getting yards all day. 2nd 35 and giving up 30 yards because our defensive backs didnt cover anyone for 20 yards. Prevent at the end of the first half with more one within 10 yards of the receiver. I am not saying blitz but don't drop the defensive backs back to the first down line and try to stop them at the line.

• Winner
Reactions: dafarmer

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
The only complaint I had (not really a complaint) was giving up a TD right before half. It took Texas 3 plays to get inside our 30. Secondary coverage was the obvious issue here as Texas receivers should never be as open as they were when the defense drops 8 into coverage.

I was a little concerned during a stretch in the 4th Qtr when Texas was bringing pressure every play and we struggled to sustain a drives (subsequently when Texas' offense regained momentum and took the lead). Ended the game strong with the defense forcing a 3-and-out and the offense converting on a 9 play drive.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
There are some things that have been consistently occurring for the past couple of years that seem problematic:

1) Giving up scores with a short clock right before halftime
2) Giving up first downs on 2nd/3rd and looooonnngggg
3) Racking up a lot of offensive yards but not scoring points
4) Consistency making FGs 30-45 yds

In the Big 12, where there are a pack of teams that seem pretty equal, these things play a big role in determining whether one plays in the Big 12 championship game, or whether one watches the Big 12 championship game.

Last edited:

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
When did we become such a whiny country? It seems everywhere you look, there's someone complaining about something of which they know nothing. And, yes, that's my whine for the day.

When we have a Top 20 team in yards allowed and gained and yet were just about a 5-5 team. The game was not all that fun as it should have been no where close to a last second game. Our offense had out gained Texas like 220 yds to 45 yds with 45 secs left in the first half. The lines on both sides of the ball dominated Texas and yet we needed a last second field goal to win. And that is with a bunch of seniors on both sides.

I think the inexperience still shows with this staff but I think they are still learning and willing to get better.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I would be interested to hear from Heacock what happened on the two 30 yard pass plays. Broken coverage, wrong scheme, or just good plays by Texa$?
As far as offensive play calls and the want for screen plays, don't forget the wheel route. Can't have enough wheel routes.
And, I loved the fake play call to Chase. Keep doing it boys, the next one will work!

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1