Iowa State band Big 12 away games?

bradcyclone

Jan 25, 2009
A partial Texas and Oklahoma and even Oklahoma State and maybe Kansas State bands have all played at Jack Trice Stadium once before but when was the last time the Iowa State band went on the road in the Big 12? I am guessing a Kansas game in Lawrence but any other time?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Pretty sure the recent practice has been to travel to Iowa in years where the game is in IC, and then to do a conference road game in the years where the Iowa game is at home.

Reactions: ABECyguy

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Director has stated that either all the band goes for football, or none.

It's too bad that this "all or none" situation apparently exists, because some of the most fun road trips were the 1-bus or 2-bus "pep band" ones.

The loss of MU and NU really cut into the number of easy destinations.

• Agree
Reactions: Pat and wxman1

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We took a "pep band" to Nebraska a few times -- not the full band, but more like 50-60 members roughly. We went to Lawrence in an opposite year from going to Iowa City once. Besides that, I think that is everything save for the bowl game.

This was all 10+ years ago, though; I am becoming very old.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
We took a "pep band" to Nebraska a few times -- not the full band, but more like 50-60 members roughly. We went to Lawrence in an opposite year from going to Iowa City once. Besides that, I think that is everything save for the bowl game.

This was all 10+ years ago, though; I am becoming very old.

Got you beat. I'm now 20+ years from marching, but we'd take the full band to an away game each year plus Iowa City. Got to perform at Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and a random trip to Minnesota plus 3 trips to Iowa. Those were fun, but unfortunately not really much of a thing anymore it seems. I don't get those that don't want opposing bands there. To me, the bands are a big part of the atmosphere of college football.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Got you beat. I'm now 20+ years from marching, but we'd take the full band to an away game each year plus Iowa City. Got to perform at Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and a random trip to Minnesota plus 3 trips to Iowa. Those were fun, but unfortunately not really much of a thing anymore it seems. I don't get those that don't want opposing bands there. To me, the bands are a big part of the atmosphere of college football.

I am fine with the home team bands being at games, but I don't want to hear Boomer Sooner or the Texas knock off of I've been working on the railroad while sitting in Jack Trice.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Unless things have changed, ISU is unique in that the band does not get money from the athletics dept. They operate from donations and the university, which neither have the deep pockets to fund extensive travels.

• Disagree
Reactions: isu81 and ABECyguy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am fine with the home team bands being at games, but I don't want to hear Boomer Sooner or the Texas knock off of I've been working on the railroad while sitting in Jack Trice.

Bands, cheer, dance teams, etc. are just as much a part of the traditions and pageantry of college sports as the sports teams are themselves. The members of those "supporting" organizations are wearing the uniform of their schools and representing them just as much as the teams, too. They are memorable trips for everybody involved. I do not think the want not to hear "Boomer Sooner" a few times overcomes the opportunity to perform, to travel, and have a memorable school trip like that for them.

And trust me, I hate "Texas Fights" just as much as you do.

Our trips to Lincoln and Lawrence were a heck of a lot of fun. I'll never forget them. Iowa City was definitely memorable, but for a much worse set of reasons.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and Jerms

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's too bad that this "all or none" situation apparently exists, because some of the most fun road trips were the 1-bus or 2-bus "pep band" ones.

The loss of MU and NU really cut into the number of easy destinations.

Probably exists because there are so few road opportunities already that for the one or two the band gets it's making sure those are full band.

I mean there were times in the past it was a concern whether the whole band would even get to go to bowl games.

If the AD had the revenue to send the whole band to a road game or two a year and a smaller band to many of the other games, I'm sure that would get worked out.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The entire band made the trip to Akron. A big group did a mini-concert at our tailgate. It was awesome.

Reactions: ABECyguy

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Count me as one who enjoys seeing the partial bands of other teams at the games. I was never a band member at any level, but I enjoy the atmosphere that bands help create. As a player (just high school and small college) it was always fun running out to the fight song as well.

Bands are great and I hope we continue to see other bands in our stadium and ISU travels more as well.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Opinions differ on visiting bands. Here's a good example from a Ku board perspective. Personally, I really enjoyed aTm's but the rest I can do with or without, rather meh about whether they come or not.

Posted on Nov 4th, 12:42 PM, ,

kuobserver said... (original post) Couldn’t disagree more with you and Sarcastro. Having both bands adds to the atmosphere, and has always been a piece of regional CFB rivalries. ...

Why the hell should I have to listen to the K-State band drown out our own band the entire game? How does that make the experience better for the home crowd? It's ******** and should never happen.

IT was so bad that several times the sound system was engaged to drown them out. Unfortunately our band wasn't up to the contest much like the football team.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Unless things have changed, ISU is unique in that the band does not get money from the athletics dept. They operate from donations and the university, which neither have the deep pockets to fund extensive travels.

They get some. I believe the athletic department paid for chunks of the new uniforms and instruments. They also give a set amount for bowl trips and what not. Due to this the directors have chosen to be more frugal and bus to the games along with staying for fewer days. They then take the savings towards other band needs. Not a big deal but it does result in the band getting "jipped" so to speak at times. Pinstripe bowl the bussed out stayed somewhere in Ohio and practiced, got there the night before the game and left the day after the game to drive straight back.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
They get some. I believe the athletic department paid for chunks of the new uniforms and instruments. They also give a set amount for bowl trips and what not. Due to this the directors have chosen to be more frugal and bus to the games along with staying for fewer days. They then take the savings towards other band needs. Not a big deal but it does result in the band getting "jipped" so to speak at times. Pinstripe bowl the bussed out stayed somewhere in Ohio and practiced, got there the night before the game and left the day after the game to drive straight back.

Yeah, the band does get money from athletics. Pretty sure the recent bowl game trips were mostly or completely paid for by Athletics. But, it still takes a lot of support from band donors for other things such as new instruments, gameday meals, etc. I would say that the ISUCF’V’MB is very fortunate to have Pollard as AD because he’s been very supportive of the band. That being said, costs add up quickly for a 300+ person marching band.

(I was in the band in recent years so that’s how I know this)

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
TX band must have been close to microphones cause that’s all I heard on tv

I had a seat right by the Texas band. There were portable microphones in that corner of the stadium. I asked a few band members if that was their stuff but apparently the microphones where put there by Fox.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron