Iowa State band Big 12 away games?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I sit in the SEZ (not the club) and I mercifully could rarely hear the ut band. That didn't stop the bands from constantly playing over each other though. I wish they could get together on who plays at which stoppages rather than just making it a muddled mess.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Count me as one who enjoys seeing the partial bands of other teams at the games. I was never a band member at any level, but I enjoy the atmosphere that bands help create. As a player (just high school and small college) it was always fun running out to the fight song as well.

Bands are great and I hope we continue to see other bands in our stadium and ISU travels more as well.

It's great as long as you don't have a seat directly next to them. ;) At the Texas game I had a great conversation with one of their trumpet players who had family that at one time lived in Iowa. After the game I wished them safe travels and good luck the rest of the season.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
I sit in the SEZ (not the club) and I mercifully could rarely hear the ut band. That didn't stop the bands from constantly playing over each other though. I wish they could get together on who plays at which stoppages rather than just making it a muddled mess.

Yeah, usually the bands are supposed to alternate when they play but that wasn’t happening with Texas. Maybe Texas was allowed to play at the same time because it was such a small group

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, usually the bands are supposed to alternate when they play but that wasn’t happening with Texas. Maybe Texas was allowed to play at the same time because it was such a small group
Since I sit near - not right next to as some of you have posted, thank God - I notice it a lot and most visiting teams this year have trod on the ISU band. I suppose it could be the other way around, though. Either way, I don't think it adds to the atmosphere when they are muddying the waters.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
Yeah, the band does get money from athletics. Pretty sure the recent bowl game trips were mostly or completely paid for by Athletics. But, it still takes a lot of support from band donors for other things such as new instruments, gameday meals, etc. I would say that the ISUCF’V’MB is very fortunate to have Pollard as AD because he’s been very supportive of the band. That being said, costs add up quickly for a 300+ person marching band.

(I was in the band in recent years so that’s how I know this)

Wait. You get gameday meals now? Kids these days...

• Funny
Reactions: ABECyguy

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't know if the visiting band is in communication with the ops people like the ISU band is. A drum major or other staff member stands next to the ladder with a headset on talking to the ops people that run the scoreboard and what not to coordinate stuff as well as helps the directing drum major know when to cut off so as to not be playing during a play.

• Agree
Reactions: ABECyguy

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
It's great as long as you don't have a seat directly next to them. ;) At the Texas game I had a great conversation with one of their trumpet players who had family that at one time lived in Iowa. After the game I treated them like I treated the Iowa band.

Wait? what?!?!?!

lol

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I have no problem with bands coming but it has to be better coordinated. When they play over each other there’s no point.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone