Jared’s WR Notebook

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Nice job hitting the highlights!

My only complaint is that the one significant name you guys didn’t get Coach Scheelhaase to comment on was Darien Porter. I’d love to know how that guy is doing in the weight room, he very much needs that extra 10-15 pounds.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Once again...a cryptic Iowa State coach lol. I'm going to attempt to read between the lines. I believe they really like Daniel Jackson. Again, this is my opinion. CNS did not really seemed to concerned about the WR position. I believe it's because he knows the position group is in a good place. I feel the group has depth and talent. All we need is someone to step up and be that 2nd option. Personally I believe it's Milton and possibly Jackson. All I know is I'm not concerned about the WR's.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
They’ve also talked up EZ Anderson the last two springs too, so they must be high on him as well.
He's got kind of a Lazard build. Not only tall but big as well. Hopefully he contributes this year. I'm really high on Jackson. I think he's going to be a superstar. He had some big offers coming out of highschool. If he buys in...he may emerge as the true #2 WR this season.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Once again...a cryptic Iowa State coach lol. I'm going to attempt to read between the lines. I believe they really like Daniel Jackson. Again, this is my opinion. CNS did not really seemed to concerned about the WR position. I believe it's because he knows the position group is in a good place. I feel the group has depth and talent. All we need is someone to step up and be that 2nd option. Personally I believe it's Milton and possibly Jackson. All I know is I'm not concerned about the WR's.
ISUs receivers are tough to place because though Milton seems like a natural slot, XH is the best run after catch guy, so they like to play him in the slot where there are more opportunities for that. They also don't do as much traditional slot stuff due to the TE heavy sets. Last, in years past they have been unconventional and liked to use a big WR in the slot. They did that a ton with Butler. It seemed like that was when they felt like there were opportunities to attack that seam down the middle.

If these guys were conventional it seems like Milton would be a lock at the slot if healthy, XH on the outside and one of the other guys like Jackson, Porter, Shaw, Scates, etc.

But lucky for us, the staff does not rely on convention.

• Informative
Reactions: Snydes and Aclone

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
ISUs receivers are tough to place because though Milton seems like a natural slot, XH is the best run after catch guy, so they like to play him in the slot where there are more opportunities for that. They also don't do as much traditional slot stuff due to the TE heavy sets. Last, in years past they have been unconventional and liked to use a big WR in the slot. They did that a ton with Butler. It seemed like that was when they felt like there were opportunities to attack that seam down the middle.

If these guys were conventional it seems like Milton would be a lock at the slot if healthy, XH on the outside and one of the other guys like Jackson, Porter, Shaw, Scates, etc.

Well said. I'm going to be honest here...I really don't know what to expect from Milton. The dude is incredibly tough, I mean the kid broke his collarbone and still came back for the last few games. He seems to have a bit of issue with drops.

As we know if Brock doesn't trust you, your not getting the ball. I really like Jackson. I can't put my finger on why, I just think he's going to be a star. The recruiting report I read compared him to Jalen Reagor.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Well said. I'm going to be honest here...I really don't know what to expect from Milton. The dude is incredibly tough, I mean the kid broke his collarbone and still came back for the last few games. He seems to have a bit of issue with drops.

As we know if Brock doesn't trust you, your not getting the ball. I really like Jackson. I can't put my finger on why, I just think he's going to be a star. The recruiting report I read compared him to Jalen Reagor.

Brock LOVES Daniel Jackson. He barely played and had 1 less catch than Joe Scates. Expect DJ to be a major threat for ISU in the screen, bubble and underneath game

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

I think your bolded part above is key. We weren't going to use the WRs as much last year with so much talent in the TE group. I expect to see more of the same this year. I realize they might have used the WR group more if Milton hadn't of been injured or others were more consistent, but they weren't going to sit the three-headed TE behemoth we had last year, and two of those guys return this year, with young talent in the wings.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So is he really the run game coordinator and the RB coach and the WR coach? That seems like a hell of a lot to handle. But if he can I like the combination. Sometimes WRs don't seem to be coached well in the running game (blocking down field, crisp down field routes on a delayed running play, etc.) but a guy who also handles the running game and RBs won't give that short shrift. By the same token often RBs are only marginal as receivers but a guy who also coaches the WRs will be very good at teaching catching technique as well as route running. It seems like an odd combination at first blush but it really makes sense when you look at how much the skill sets should overlap in well rounded players at those positions.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
So is he really the run game coordinator and the RB coach and the WR coach? That seems like a hell of a lot to handle. But if he can I like the combination. Sometimes WRs don't seem to be coached well in the running game (blocking down field, crisp down field routes on a delayed running play, etc.) but a guy who also handles the running game and RBs won't give that short shrift. By the same token often RBs are only marginal as receivers but a guy who also coaches the WRs will be very good at teaching catching technique as well as route running. It seems like an odd combination at first blush but it really makes sense when you look at how much the skill sets should overlap in well rounded players at those positions.
The way I read it, when you have a rising star on staff, you find ways to reward him, keep him engaged and on staff.

Covering two position groups will look great on his resume, and (I’m assuming) his next step would be an OC somewhere, rather than a single position RB or WR coach at another school. Maybe OC here in a couple of years.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The way I read it, when you have a rising star on staff, you find ways to reward him, keep him engaged and on staff.

Covering two position groups will look great on his resume, and (I’m assuming) his next step would be an OC somewhere, rather than a single position RB or WR coach at another school. Maybe OC here in a couple of years.
Two position groups and half of a coordinator position.

Reactions: Aclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think Shaw will take a big step this year. Had a really good first year, then started really slow last year before coming on later in the year. He's a mismatch.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
If we can get sophomore version of Tarique Milton back in form - to go along with Xavier Hutchinson and Charlie Kolar - freaking watch out, that's an explosive 3 amigo receiving threat.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron