JAY JORDAN: UNI film review

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
And yet, if three possessions had gone for TD's instead of drive ending mistakes, the score may have been 28-6. Yeah, I get it, they didn't, but what would the collective group be saying if that was the result? Pretty happy...right? Better to make the mistakes against UNI, learn, and improve for the next game.

Now, if we bring out the same boring, conservative offense against Iowa...then I'll jump on the WTF bandwagon.
The one thing Rhoads used to say that I thought had a ton of truth to it was, 'it's never as bad or as good as it seems.'

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Two years ago we threw it all over the field against Iowa and seemed to have a good scheme about it as well. We'll see how it goes.
That was with Park and prior to our defensive improvement. We can generally increase the margin for error on offense when the defense is having trouble. Some seem to think it’s the other way around...How much does our defense suffer when we have higher points/possession?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That was with Park and prior to our defensive improvement. We can generally increase the margin for error on offense when the defense is having trouble. Some seem to think it’s the other way around...How much does our defense suffer when we have higher points/possession?
I think everything depends on the team we're playing and everything can change during the game. We only scored 27 points against Kansas last year and didn't generate a ton of yards that game either. We also only threw the ball 23 times. Sure we took a couple of shots down the field but it's not like we were throwing the ball deep every play. Why? Because we were fine with taking what Kansas was giving us and new sooner than later Kansas was going to give.

We averaged over 9 yards per pass against UNI. Purdy threw the ball 41 times at a 70% clip. We had over 180 yards rushing. But, for whatever reason, we couldn't find a way to score the ball. That's for our coaches to fix and for our players to fix as well.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneworld

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
On defense, I would like to see some more blitzes. The few we had were effective. In some cases we were just 1/2 second too late. On one case, #9 coming in untouched to the QB blind side, whiffed on the tackle. You can have 12 players back on defense, but if the QB has all day to throw the ball, he will find someone open.
At the 1:30 mark in the first qtr, Bickham misses two tackles on back to back plays.

We had first and goal on the 4 yd line with a chance to win in the first OT, and settled for a FG. In the 3rd OT we have the ball first and goal to win the game, and fumble, only to score on the next play. Yikes!

I would expect us to put a lot of pressure on the fat one.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We've had this problem for three years. It is not solved. Unless we want to be a poor man's SEC team with a great defense and no offense. He's a good coach and great recruiter. We need an OC.

This "problem" has us on the verge of the most wins in a 3 year stretch in school history.

I don't know how many times people need to tell you - NO ONE is happy with the offense. It has to get better. But Campbell has proven he's going to be conservative and rely on defense. If you don't like that game plan, you are SOL for the next several years.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This "problem" has us on the verge of the most wins in a 3 year stretch in school history.

I don't know how many times people need to tell you - NO ONE is happy with the offense. It has to get better. But Campbell has proven he's going to be conservative and rely on defense. If you don't like that game plan, you are SOL for the next several years.
In 2017 against UNI, we had less passing yards and less rushing yards. Obviously we had a total of less yards as well. On defense, we also gave up more total yards. The difference between two years ago's game and this year's game was that we didn't force any turnovers for TD's (or even one turnover altogether), and we also were able to capitalize on certain downs that were essential to keep the drive going.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We only scored 27 points against Kansas last year and didn't generate a ton of yards that game either. We also only threw the ball 23 times. Sure we took a couple of shots down the field but it's not like we were throwing the ball deep every play. Why? Because we were fine with taking what Kansas was giving us and new sooner than later Kansas was going to give.

We averaged over 9 yards per pass against UNI. Purdy threw the ball 41 times at a 70% clip. We had over 180 yards rushing. But, for whatever reason, we couldn't find a way to score the ball. That's for our coaches to fix and for our players to fix as well.
No one is asking for throwing the ball deep every play. Stop with the fallacies. Pass attempts in general is a poor proxy for what we’re discussing.

Do you believe we manipulated UNI’s defense at all?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No one is asking for throwing the ball deep every play. Stop with the fallacies. Pass attempts in general is a poor proxy for what we’re discussing.

Do you believe we manipulated UNI’s defense at all?
I think there might've been times where we tried to manipulate it too much. We threw the ball two times on 3rd and then 4th and 1 when we should've just ran it. The fact of the matter is that this game plan, although effective at moving the ball, didn't put up points for whatever reason. It needs to be fixed. I don't care how this offense puts up points, but they need to find out how to do a better job than they did last Saturday.