SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I have a feeling we could see a good amount of 21 and 22 personnel with a double RB backfield next year. Especially if Jirehl develops more as a pass catcher and Breece as a blocker, there is a lot of potential for misdirection and screens with the two of them lined up next to, or behind Purdy.

This is said every offseason, and it never happens. Are there any examples of teams doing this, or just something people like to dream about? It doesn't seem like coaches think two backs give them a strategic advantage.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I have a feeling we could see a good amount of 21 and 22 personnel with a double RB backfield next year. Especially if Jirehl develops more as a pass catcher and Breece as a blocker, there is a lot of potential for misdirection and screens with the two of them lined up next to, or behind Purdy.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by “Jirehl develops more as a pass catcher and Breece as a blocker”, please?

Because from what I’ve seen, Jirehl is already a hell of a pass catcher (if not as gifted as Breece—but nobody is), and Breece is a crunching blocker.

Curious where you’re coming from. Thanks in advance.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Could you elaborate on what you mean by “Jirehl develops more as a pass catcher and Breece as a blocker”, please?

Because from what I’ve seen, Jirehl is already a hell of a pass catcher (if not as gifted as Breece—but nobody is), and Breece is a crunching blocker.

Curious where you’re coming from. Thanks in advance.

saw a quote the other day that said Jirehl had the best hands out of the backfield

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
saw a quote the other day that said Jirehl had the best hands out of the backfield
I noticed a quote of a quote the other day. I was curious where the original came from—since Breece has amazingly soft hands himself. In over forty years of watching football, I think he’s as good as I’ve ever seen, WR’s included.

The effortless, in stride one handed catch he made in the all star bowl (Army?) was the first hint. He’s built on that since.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
This is said every offseason, and it never happens. Are there any examples of teams doing this, or just something people like to dream about? It doesn't seem like coaches think two backs give them a strategic advantage.
I saw some college teams lining up in the old split- back, pro set last season. Can’t remember which teams were doing it. What a blast from the past though.