Josh Volk interview on picking Iowa

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
In the end, academic fit played a major role.

"I’m kind of a hobby farmer," Volk said. "But I went to look at one of the farms at Iowa State and I was just like, 'That’s not for me.' I’d rather get a business degree from Iowa and then go sell maybe for Pioneer — like seeds or chemicals. It was more academics that I chose. I just felt more comfortable at Iowa, academically."

You're being a little dramatic in title choice. Content posted to save others from having to click the link.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
A couple of questions from someone who got an English degree at ISU: What is a hobby farmer? What is CALS?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm sure that's what all farmers are looking for in their seed and chemical representative, a person with a busines degree.
I'm not going to bag on the kid or his choice.

I personally think an agronomy or seed degree would be better for him if he'd like to sell seed or chemical.
Knowing soils, climates, germination, etc would seem to be more beneficial.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
"I’m kind of a hobby farmer," Volk said. "But I went to look at one of the farms at Iowa State and I was just like, 'That’s not for me.' I’d rather get a business degree from Iowa and then go sell maybe for Pioneer — like seeds or chemicals. It was more academics that I chose. I just felt more comfortable at Iowa, academically."

Umm Josh... Do you realize an Ag-Business degree has a better upside than a U of Iowa Business degree? Wouldn't that fit your criteria?

CR Xavier coach has one son who walked-on at Iowa for FB, and another on the way to Iowa for FB. That may of played-into it.

The best response is to beat the fraud ANF program to the East the next few years

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
No ****. I thought what he said made perfect sense. People are just begging for something to ***** about.

Regardless of what he said, I bet if the number of NFL players were reversed he'd be a Cyclone. It's hard to ignore.

I wonder about the choice to show him "farms" while he was here. Perhaps that was a less than wise decision. Point out the turf in the stadium and talk about the students who intern at the Super Bowl.
When you're trying to woo a student (and his parents) think carefully about the impression you want to leave - I'm not sure showing him farms was a good use of his time here. Regardless, he made his decision. We'll all live with it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron