JTS Improvements - Want More

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
When there becomes a demand for extra suite space, then Jamie will look at expanding the "Press Box". Other schools like Iowa use the "press box" space not all for the press but for suites since that's their only place for suites.

Until their is an actual demand for more suites, it it a waste of money to spend millions of dollars for empty space because it looks good! Rental of suites is the only way to pay for it unless YOU are donating the millions needed.

Hmmm.... maybe we could just erect a Hollywood style facade on each side of the current pressbox, so that it "looks good". Yeah, that's the ticket.

Just my opinion. Jack Trice has such a better atmosphere today that when first built - a much more impressive looking stadium. At least we are not spending millions to reduce our seating capacity by several thousand seats like Kansas.
People were saying the same thing about bowling the south endzone," when we sell out every game, and demand is there for more seats, will be the time to bowl in the endzone". Funny how bowling it in created more demand, more fans in the stands and more money to ISU.

Building a new press box with suites would do the same, getting more businesses to purchase them or allowing more fans an upgraded experience at the game. Today the market is building more clubs and areas like the Sokup, area and we could do that with a new press box. EIU had no trouble selling out their new north endzone by adding exactly that, why would ISU be any different.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
People were saying the same thing about bowling the south endzone," when we sell out every game, and demand is there for more seats, will be the time to bowl in the endzone". Funny how bowling it in created more demand, more fans in the stands and more money to ISU.

Building a new press box with suites would do the same, getting more businesses to purchase them or allowing more fans an upgraded experience at the game. Today the market is building more clubs and areas like the Sokup, area and we could do that with a new press box. EIU had no trouble selling out their new north endzone by adding exactly that, why would ISU be any different.
I agree, but proceed with caution. Get commitments up front, minimum of 5 years, and keep upgrading.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
EIU had no trouble selling out their new north endzone by adding exactly that, why would ISU be any different.
As I recall, the seating capacity at Kinnick is actually less now than it was before the most recent projects.

And you may be absolutely correct.

And I do agree that the pressbox looks small compared to the stadium.

Butat this time I would rather see the limited facility dollars go to the Hilton renovation that has been lagging due to lack of funding.

But I am sure that if Matt Cambell told Jamie that expansion of the press box would help the football program get better, then it would be a top priority.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
As I recall, the seating capacity at Kinnick is actually less now than it was before the most recent projects.

Butat this time I would rather see the limited facility dollars go to the Hilton renovation that has been lagging due to lack of funding.

But I am sure that if Matt Cambell told Jamie that expansion of the press box would help the football program get better, then it would be a top priority.
EIU dropped the seating capacity and makes more money from it, the market today is in premium seats, that offer the holder a better game day experience. EIU understood that and was fine with losing a couple thousand seats knowing that the premium area would more than make up the difference with a few thousand less people at the game.

Every study shows the money is in football, and ISU should be doing everything in their power to maximize the football team, and the profit potential from that area. I would like to have seen them spend the money on Hilton instead of this new Cy Town area, but hopefully Pollard is correct and it will be a hit.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

I agree. To me, the press box would be pretty high on the list, but definitely not over Hilton. They’ve done a lot of work across the sports. Most sports have fairly new or renovated homes at this point. I would say after the Hilton concourse, the fb press box should be top priority unless you want to include Stephens or Scheman.

If it were me, I’d just go one level the entire length of the east stands.

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
On the north side of stadium you have the Stark Performance Center on the west side of the entry plaza. I would like to see a building that looked similar on the east side of the plaza. It could be a four or five level parking garage. Players and staff could use it everyday except game days when donors could park in the garage. Or maybe the ground floor would be parking and then a small 4 to 5,000 seat gym for wrestling and gymnastics could be built on top. Ideally it would look similar to but not identical to Stark.

Then move all the AD staff in the Olsen to a new building on Beech that would be just south of Alumni Center on the hill overlooking the ISU Center Parking lot. The Olsen Building would be converted to a museum that was 1/2 history of ISU sports and 1/2 history of Iowa State University. Between the current Alumni Center and the 'new' AD building would be a glass enclosed atrium with a rotating 'Cyclone'.

But those are just dreams. Reality is ISU needs to make sure players and coaches are taken care of before any other renovations, additions or new facilities are added.