Lawrence Cager from Miami officially visiting Iowa State

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We have a lot of film to show what we can do with this young man, from two different big receivers in two consecutive seasons. That, along with our expected continued ascension in the next year, should be a very powerful argument.

Correction. Lots of film showing what we can do with big receivers over five consecutive seasons.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
They were much better at the end of last season than to start -- I will admit that is not saying much, on the other hand, considering where they started.

Long-term, however, there's room in the "ecosystem" for one nationally-competitive team in the Big Ten West (or maybe more generally between Chicago and Denver). I see no reason that team could not be Nebraska in the Big Ten instead of the Iowa and Wisconsin of the past half-decade -- and Iowa State instead of Kansas State in the Big 12.

There is a niche for them there, just as there is for us.

:)
I want to start with that I really dislike NU football (not Nebraskans in general, they are good people like Iowan's), but they did show a lot of improvement towards the end of the season. I hate to admit but I don't think that 4-8 is going to be their norm going forward. I'm not saying national championship caliber but I can see them contending for the B10 west which isn't saying a whole lot compared to the B10 east. (hope I'm wrong!)

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
They beat drake you know. That was a great game. Uni made two free throws with 7 seconds left. That was the only points in the last 530 of the game
Feel bad for UNI. Seems like the missed the boat by sticking around in the MVC. All those years Creighton and Wichita State were cruising through the league, UNI was always right there with or behind them. Now they are left in a downtrodden league (yes, I know Loyal went on a Final 4 run last year), and they are near the bottom of it somehow. Life just ain't fair sometimes

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Feel bad for UNI. Seems like the missed the boat by sticking around in the MVC. All those years Creighton and Wichita State were cruising through the league, UNI was always right there with or behind them. Now they are left in a downtrodden league (yes, I know Loyal went on a Final 4 run last year), and they are near the bottom of it somehow. Life just ain't fair sometimes

Did UNI have an option to move to another conference above the MVC?
Creighton took advantage of realignment and WSU was the Kansas of the MVC as such desired by other conferences.
They are having a down year but still have a mid-major basketball respect w/ good coach. With those two programs no longer in the MVC they are as likely as any team to take advantage to make the tourney over the next 5 years. I'd argue they are in a better position than 7-10 years ago as a program. If they take advantage they could be the next school chosen to move up a conference the next time realignment occurs (Drake too).

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Did UNI have an option to move to another conference above the MVC?
Creighton took advantage of realignment and WSU was the Kansas of the MVC as such desired by other conferences.
They are having a down year but still have a mid-major basketball respect w/ good coach. With those two programs no longer in the MVC they are as likely as any team to take advantage to make the tourney over the next 5 years. I'd argue they are in a better position than 7-10 years ago as a program. If they take advantage they could be the next school chosen to move up a conference the next time realignment occurs (Drake too).
I doubt UNI had an opportunity to move up. Creighton and Wichita were more successful than them on the hardwood, and UNI has football holding them back while the other two don't. UNI should cut football, or at least scholarship football, like Drake, and just focus on becoming the next Creighton/Wichita

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I want to start with that I really dislike NU football (not Nebraskans in general, they are good people like Iowan's), but they did show a lot of improvement towards the end of the season. I hate to admit but I don't think that 4-8 is going to be their norm going forward. I'm not saying national championship caliber but I can see them contending for the B10 west which isn't saying a whole lot compared to the B10 east. (hope I'm wrong!)

There is going to be a path forward for them in the Big 10 West -- Iowa seems to have a hard ceiling as a program, and while Wisconsin has been the dominant program in the division for a long time now, they seem to have taken a step back.

No reason their replacement could not be Nebraska. Frost is a good coach. I did not think we were looking at him much when we hired Campbell, but he was initially one of the guys that I thought would have been great for us before he went to UCF.

Nebraska made a good hire there -- as good as they really could.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

There is a direct correlation between Fran's recruiting and UNI's descent....

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa has had the privilege of beating up on a down Nebraska for several years now. At this point I would love to see Nebraksa kick the piss out of Iowa for a few years in a row. Like it or not but Nebby is much closer to be a West contender than they are to being a 4-8 football team moving forward.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Iowa has had the privilege of beating up on a down Nebraska for several years now. At this point I would love to see Nebraksa kick the piss out of Iowa for a few years in a row. Like it or not but Nebby is much closer to be a West contender than they are to being a 4-8 football team moving forward.

I'd be happy with all the years in a row.

**** iowa

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Just got back from Aunt Maudes and pretty sure he and some players and coaches were wining and dining him at a lower level private area there. Too bad it's so cold out!

Yeah, part of me worries about recruits freaking out about the cold during these January visits. Then another part of me says, "If you want to play at the next level, get used to the cold." The Patriots, Packers, Eagles, Giants, & Bears play big boy football up north without a roof over their heads. The way God intended.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Too bad they couldn't get him here during a home basketball game to get a sense in person of our fan support. We hear so many recruits talk about how it makes an impact on them..

Reactions: BoxsterCy