Live Clone Zone Coverage

timdcy

Nov 27, 2006
The Gore Range
I wrote in at Cyclones.com to see if we would be getting any live football games, via clone zone. It looks like only the SDSU game, if any. Here is the message:

Tim,
Thanks for the message. The Big 12 Television contract with Fox Sports restricts a lot of LIVE coverage that we are able to provide on the internet as it relates to football. Thus, the reason why you seldom hear of BCS Conference Schools showing live games on the internet. We should be able to provide every game, as we have the technology to do so, but the television contract restricts us from doing so.

I am currently working on a deal to provide a webcast for the Thursday opener against South Dakota State. That will be the only game this year that has the possibility to be provided LIVE via a webcast because it falls outside Fox's exclusive windows for Saturday Big 12 football coverage.

We will still be providing every snap archived in the Clone Zone 48 hours after the games completion as the conference permits. If you have futher questions, feel free to contact me at 515-294-1252 or via email at [email protected].
Thanks for writing in.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
Thanks for the info, timdcy. This is very important stuff for those of us out-of-state'ers. :yes:

I'll be back in Iowa for Kent State and Iowa, and will be in Vegas for UNLV, but without Clone Zone there is no way I will be able to see the SDSU game.

I might have to send in my own email of "encouragement" to cyclones.com to make this happen.

Is the SDSU game scheduled to be televised locally (in Iowa)?

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
It took me a while, but I finally sent in my inquiry/request re: the SDSU game being broadcast live on Clone Zone.

I didn't copy my exact email, and I was very polite throughout, but my last sentence went something like this...

Quite frankly, for the $8.95/mo ($107.40/yr) we pay to subscribe to Clone Zone I would expect that all non-televised games would be made available.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
You're really going to complain about the number of live events on CZ? Wow.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
You're really going to complain about the number of live events on CZ? Wow.

As someone that lives out of state I know I would love to see more live events on CloneZone. I'm blessed that I still live in an area where the BigXII is very popular, if it wasn't for that I would miss many more events. And let's face it we havn't done well enough in Basketball or Football to merit us being on major networks very often :sad:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The biggest hurdle is the TV contracts, which hamstring everybody.

For Clone Zone, the live options are...
Football: Game not on a Saturday AND not picked up by TV. Occasional special permission can be obtained for road games (e.g., Toledo).
Men's Basketball: Game not on major network TV AND not on ESPN FullCourt. Last season, that meant the Mediacom games were simulcast on CZ, since Mediacom games were not offered to ESPN FC. We'll see what happens in 08-09.
Women's Basketball: Much less regulated. Most, if not all, home games appear on CZ.
Other: Free reign, dependent on equipment and connections at venues. Wrestling, volleyball and gymnastics normally have all home events on CZ. Other venues are not necessarily set up for internet feeds.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
Caw, Chief!!

For $107.40/yr, I don't think I'm out of line requesting that the SDSU game be broadcast. I can get the entire season of ESPN College Football GamePlan for that.

I understand the TV deals, and this season SDSU is the only football game that qualifies, thus, the inquiry as to whether it would be broadcast.

Crumbs.... :smile:

Warder60

Jun 2, 2006
Denver
Does GamePlan show the fox sports games too?

3 years of marching, 1 year of season tickets... now I live in California. Need to figure out how to catch some games :confused:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Does GamePlan show the fox sports games too?

3 years of marching, 1 year of season tickets... now I live in California. Need to figure out how to catch some games :confused:

Don't know what your situation is as far as cable vs. satellite is concerned.

For football...
If you have a way to get all the FSN regional affiliates, you should be covered. Otherwise, more cable companies are offering the Fox College Sports (FCS) channels. Get those. Their programming is mostly gleaned from FSN affiliates. FCS Central will have the best chance, but sometimes they cross up and put a Big 12 game on FCS Atlantic or FCS Pacific. Occasionally, FCS will do a game that's NOT already being shown on FSN (like the Colorado game in 07).

For games on ABC, your best bet will be GamePlan since the west coast hardly ever gets the same game as the midwest. Out-of-region ABC games are usually offered on ESPN GP.

If your ISP carries ESPN360.com, you may be able to circumvent spending the extra $$$ on ESPN GP.

Other networks to get on board if at all possible are Versus, BTN, and The Mtn. Obviously, the ESPN family (1/2/U/Classic) is a given as well.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I'll probably keep my subscription just so I can watch the replays... plus I like the fact that they come with the radio play-by-play.