MONDAY MUSINGS: Winter is coming, the CFP's future & Hoiberg's next move

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Lmao! Wth are you talking about arrogant Bears fans?

I've been to Minnesota as a visiting fan a few times, one of the worst fanbases in all of football. I can tell you stories about stuff I've seen up there.

Funny stuff that you think Bears fans are arrogant but you are a Vikings fan.

That is the perception of a visiting fan, no matter the fanbase. At Soldier Field, I've had beer and soda thrown at me, been called a purple queer (also think of any other homophobic slurrs) during the games. I even watched two drunk Bears fans, a row in front of me hassle a Vikings family, with two kids under the age of 10 during an entire game. They were using the F word and C word non stop as they were yelling at this family, with young kids. If you look for it, it's always there, you just don't notice it at your home field because the majority like you because you are wearing their colors.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
From article:

"I am not prioritizing one over the other in respect to the NBA and college," Hoiberg said. The jobs are so different that you cannot compare them, so I plan on evaluating whatever opportunities may come independently."

To me that says it's 50/50 between college or NBA.
Translation: I don't like to recruit.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
If he doesn’t say it, he can use UCLA or other college teams to negotiate a better deal from a pro team. He kills off employer competitors then he hurts his leverage.
Fair enough. That may be the case. But I doubt NBA teams willing to hire him can't figure out that he hates recruiting, wouldn't coach in college, and is just using it as a leverage to get more money. At this point in his NBA coaching career he hasn't proven anything, so in those terms he is no different than many other candidates.

• Winner
Reactions: jsb

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
The Twolves article on ESPN specifically says that they may have made a move now with Thibs because were worried about UCLA making an aggressive offer for Hoiberg and they wouldn't get him.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
From article:

"I am not prioritizing one over the other in respect to the NBA and college," Hoiberg said. The jobs are so different that you cannot compare them, so I plan on evaluating whatever opportunities may come independently."

To me that says it's 50/50 between college or NBA.

"so I plan on evaluating whatever opportunities may come independently"

This is Hoiberg's way of saying absolutely nothing at this time!

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
That is the perception of a visiting fan, no matter the fanbase. At Soldier Field, I've had beer and soda thrown at me, been called a purple queer (also think of any other homophobic slurrs) during the games. I even watched two drunk Bears fans, a row in front of me hassle a Vikings family, with two kids under the age of 10 during an entire game. They were using the F word and C word non stop as they were yelling at this family, with young kids. If you look for it, it's always there, you just don't notice it at your home field because the majority like you because you are wearing their colors.
I've never been to a game in Chicago but I can tell you what happens in Minnesota if you wear a Bears shirt.

I've been hit in the head with a snowball, seen Bears players get hit in the head with snowballs from non-existent security. I've been cornered in the bathroom and called an expletive for no reason other than the fact the Bears were destroying the Vikings.

I've been threatened on the light rail on the way home by some drunken idiot who I could have beatup with 1 hand tied behind my back. I asked him what his problem was, his response "If there is one thing I hate more than Packers fans, its Bears fans, my goal tonight is to kick the %##$ out of some Bear fans". Nevermind the fact I have always been with my Vikings buddy who has season tickets up there.

None of that even comes close to the scuffle I saw in the stands once when I went up with my friend to a random game, wasnt even Chicago. This guy had a "Favre" Packers jersey on, now mind you, this is when Favre actually played for the Vikings!! So you guys hate other teams so bad you decided to start fighting this guy even though he had a Favre jersey? This guy wasnt even doing anything, but all of a sudden gets beer poured on him and fans screaming obscenities at him.

You could make the case that this happens at all stadiums, but I've been to Kansas City with my dad numerous times because he is a Broncos fan and nobody has said a word to either of us at those games. Weird.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
On CFP

blow up the divisions and each conference plays it's two best teams for the champ. The conference championship games are typically going to have 8 of the top 15 teams playing (basically your 8 team playoff). Then the 4 best conference champs make the CFP.

The CFP are mostly blowouts anyways, expanding is not going to help draw eyeballs.

Also can we put them back on NYE, way more fun to get a group of friends together and watch.

Also why cannot we get the NC game on a Friday or Saturday night. make the NFL play their play off games during the day.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think if you go to an 8 team playoff everything else will work itself out. Eventually a 6-6 type team will get in, get blown out and the conference will make the change to keep the perception of their league strong. Let the market correct the problem instead of trying to make everything perfect from the get go.

Are there really 8 teams that can compete for a championship year in and year out? There weren't even 4 this year.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Getting rid of "uneven divisions" for the other conferences isn't going to solve the problem that you get a bad team in. The fact that they have 12 and 14 teams means that even if every conference had 9 conf. games that means the SOS for each team in the league is going to be significantly different. So no, you won't get a 7-5 Northwestern in the CFP, but you might get a team that lucked into a really easy draw.
Reshuffling conferences for the sake of parity can be dicey. A couple teams get way better or worse than expected, and the balance you tried to acheive is blown up.

Ultimately, if you go to 8 teams with each of the major conferences represented, you can let each conference decide how they want to determine their champ.

• Agree
Reactions: Dormeezy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Well he must be saying two different things, because there is another article regarding the Thibs firing and it says Hoiberg would prefer to stay in the NBA. But also, Hoiberg is smart. You don't limit your offers, the more offers you have the better leverage you have.

He played us, why not an ESPN "journalist"?

• Agree
Reactions: legi and aauummm

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
The conference championship games are typically going to have 8 of the top 15 teams playing (basically your 8 team playoff). Then the 4 best conference champs make the CFP.
There are 5 P5 conferences (Plus Notre Dame) Should non-P5 teams be always and forever locked out?

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Chris, you say "Blow up these uneven divisions and have the two best teams in your league play one another."

So, how do you do this in leagues where not everyone plays each other? Getting rid of divisions and stating that you want the top two teams to play is one thing. Making it happen in a 14 team league seems like you would need an elaborate scheduling and tie-breaking system. Do you have such a recommendation?

Help Support Us

Become a patron