MSU fans discussing new coach. Campbell on their shortlist. Funny stuff

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
i find it funny that people talk about jobs like money is the driving force. the difference between 4 million and 5 million is a lot in terms of actual dollars, but not a lot in terms of lifestyle difference. i doubt CMC will be intrigued by leaving for simply more money, hell, his house now is nice but not "OMG athlete millionaire nice!" he doesn't strike me as a guy who needs the flashy things.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Campbell has a different pedigree than Hoiberg, and while I didn't consider it when Hoiberg was here, it makes total sense that Ames wasn't the dream job for Hoiberg that the media/fanbase propped it up to be.

Iowa State and Ames might not be the dream job for Campbell, but as of now, it's pretty ******* nice. After 4 years, these are his players, his coaches, and this is his program.

As I've said a million times, TV money has changed everything for programs like Iowa State. While it's just icing on the cake for the big boys, it makes a huge difference for programs who need all the help they can get to keep up with the Joneses. We're now able to pay our coaches competitive salaries and build competitive facilities. While the extra cash might give LSU players sleeping pods, it gives ISU players a state-of-the-art weight room, which is far more important for their development.

Throw in an above average staff that can recruit, develop players, and scheme, and you have what Campbell is building at ISU. Yes, the ceiling is higher at Florida State or Notre Dame or wherever, but Campbell feels he can win big (conf title) here. That wasn't possible until recently, and it will allow ISU to keep him for at least a few more years. It will be at that point that we/he can more accurately assess a ceiling to his tenure.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
It really makes me chuckle to think fanbases from Arkansas, MSU, etc could attract Campbell. If coach goes to ND, OSU, or NFL then oh well, but he’s not going to give up what he’s built to go to a below average SEC or B1G school.
Interesting. I imagine this is the same thing, Toledo said, when he was rumored to go to Iowa State.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Interesting. I imagine this is the same thing, Toledo said, when he was rumored to go to Iowa State.
You have quite the imagination.

I imagine Jason Candle disagrees with you.
There’s a huge, huge difference between going from a G5 to a P5, and going from a P5 that you have rolling to a P5 that needs rebuilding and a miracle to be better than 3rd in their division.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Reading this thread has semi-changed my opinion on Campbell to MSU. I’ve thought it was one of the B10 jobs he would take a call and interview with. But if Florida State and USC are likely going to call, I’m guessing he isn’t going to Michigan State.

I also don’t see him leaving for Florida State but how do you not take that call? It’s a top 10 job in college football.

But, for any team, it’s going to cost a fortune to hire Campbell away. $6 million buyout + $5+ million salary for a minimum of 6 years + paying your current coach’s buyout. Jamie did as good of a job as he could with our finances to tie up Campbell.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Reading this thread has semi-changed my opinion on Campbell to MSU. I’ve thought it was one of the B10 jobs he would take a call and interview with. But if Florida State and USC are likely going to call, I’m guessing he isn’t going to Michigan State.

I also don’t see him leaving for Florida State but how do you not take that call? It’s a top 10 job in college football.

But, for any team, it’s going to cost a fortune to hire Campbell away. $6 million buyout + $5+ million salary for a minimum of 6 years + paying your current coach’s buyout. Jamie did as good of a job as he could with our finances to tie up Campbell.
I don't know if I'd say FSU is that prestigious anymore.

curtgouty

Dec 27, 2017
So call me naive, but I don't think Campbell is going anywhere before Purdy is done. Not sure if his style of coaching would carry over to some of these supposed "prestigious" schools let alone the NFL.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
What the **** does Fred have to do with Campbell.
It's a comparison, that is all. Being a college coach and getting a shot at your pro dream job(with no prior pro coaching experience). Going from running all aspects of the program to having to deal with owners and GM's. Deciding to come back to college coaching instead of finding another NBA position. Sometimes the grass is not greener in the pros and being a successful college coach can be just as satisfying. Does this answer your statement?

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Love Ames, love Iowa, visit often after living in LA for the past 30 years I could never move back to Iowa

I will move out of LA in the next couple of years, but it will be to another large city.

So I could see if she was bored with the Ames life style after living in a couple of NBA cities.

Does not make Ames a bad place, but sometimes you cannot go home.
From Chicagoland, lived in L.A. for 15, S.F. for 15, MN for 2 and now WV for 5. If there's one thing I've learned, 'every place' uniquely has wonderful things no other does. And for all the complaining about Iowa's weather, it's the thing I missed most while on the west coast.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I am over Hoiberg too. I'm just pointing out that people on the forum (who really had zero insight...other than their own personal feelings/desires), would chastise anyone suggesting Hoiberg might actually leave.

It just seems many have a short memory . Can't we just admit we don't know (instead of pretending we have some insight) and just enjoy Campbell as long as we have him?
What I find so mind boggling is how many people live in the past. It's what lies ahead which is the most important thing in life.
Also, I haven't had a single response to "what does it take to become a blue-blood?". I'd fully expected a response, or at the very least, some snarky sarcastic response, but none. So, either no one really knows or there really is no such thing. Is it 'titles'? 'money'? Cart before the horse? If it's being on top, are they 'demoted' when they're no longer consistently good (ala USC, UCLA)? All I do know, is I can never accept mediocre acceptance of Iowa State's status. The ceiling is as high for ISU as any other university. And, because I truly feel the fan base is more solid than most, we're already half way there.

Reactions: MeanDean

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron