MSU fans discussing new coach. Campbell on their shortlist. Funny stuff

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Color me foolish. They have 3 young kids. He will be in Ames for as long as Erica wants to be in Ames. If CMC likes it here, Erica likes it here, and Iowa State likes them here, they will stay here. Color me foolish, I just don't see them uping the kids and relocating knowing "Coach" will never be home at that age. Yes money makes life easier and money can help transition, but he is compensated well. Color me foolish, I may be a dying breed. This isn't just about him. The Coaches wife is his number 1 fan, and she is also his number one boss.

Those exact same arguments were used on the Hoiberg threads by people to support why he wouldn't leave for the Bull's job. I'm not saying he is leaving...but history has already proven that plenty here on the forum were foolish (maybe naive is better label) in that scenario...in in that instance, you had an Ames native, ISU grad, parents in Ames, twins in the school system, etc. etc. etc.

I'm going to toss out -- Color you naive (rather than foolish). Sometimes it feel like people have already forgotten recent history.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Those exact same arguments were used on the Hoiberg threads by people to support why he wouldn't leave for the Bull's job. I'm not saying he is leaving...but history has already proven that plenty here on the forum were foolish (maybe naive is better label) in that scenario....

carol hated living in Ames. That made as much of a difference in their determination to try leave 3 years before he left for Chicago

have we heard how mrs Campbell feels about the town?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I don’t understand why people think Arkansas is a horrible job. That’s strange. Beilima left Wisky for that job. They have crap loads of booster money. They were at one point a top ten team year in and year out. They have a newer stadium. The campus is killer.

So far the best ISU has done under Campbell are a couple of 8+ win seasons. That will get you ran out of Fayetteville.

Plus, I think the average IQ drops by quite a few percentage points going from the state of Iowa to Arkansas.

• Disagree
Reactions: Arkansas Cyclone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Great Post Beyerball.....I hope you are right about Coach Matt Campbell and the Five Million Dollar figure after 2022...I have a question for cyclone fans...How much is it worth to you to have a winning football program? What is your dollar figure?
Great segue. What exactly makes a 'blue blood' program? And, what 'demotes' a blue blood?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
carol hated living in Ames. That made as much of a difference in their determination to try leave 3 years before he left for Chicago

have we heard how mrs Campbell feels about the town?

You know of her feelings how? Isn't she an ISU grad as well? I'm not saying you do or don't have inside info, but just dropping her first name like you did here makes it seem like you are on a first name basis with her.

Would love to know how you have some intimate information on her opinion of Ames.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You know of her feelings how? Isn't she an ISU grad as well? I'm not saying you do or don't have inside info, but just dropping her first name like you did here makes it seem like you are on a first name basis with her.

Would love to know how you have some intimate information on her opinion of Ames.

sometimes when people move elsewhere, it emphasizes how small Iowa truly is.

It isn’t some secret that she didn’t like living in Ames after they moved back.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Those exact same arguments were used on the Hoiberg threads by people to support why he wouldn't leave for the Bull's job. I'm not saying he is leaving...but history has already proven that plenty here on the forum were foolish (maybe naive is better label) in that scenario...in in that instance, you had an Ames native, ISU grad, parents in Ames, twins in the school system, etc. etc. etc.

I'm going to toss out -- Color you naive (rather than foolish). Sometimes it feel like people have already forgotten recent history.

I agree that some fans thought that. However, there was serious smoke that Carol did not appreciate Ames. That smoke eventually led us to a fire. So, my point is until we hear rumors of Erica ready for new scenery then I am not going to be concerned.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
But you are stating this like this means their offense is going to be good next year or somehow make the job attractive.
- On whole, it's pretty clearly the 12th best offense in the league ahead of only Rutgers and Northwestern
- They lose a three year starter at QB
- They lose more than half their receiving yardage

Maybe they have some heralded prospect at QB coming in, but the above is a recipe for another year of bad offense. And if you want to come in and pump up Rocky Lombardi as a reason for improvement you pretty much need to be banned from discussing football ever again.

I’m merely stating facts.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

It is news to me. That said, it only takes one person suggesting as much and then that being repeated enough on social media for it to become gospel on the internet. So color me skeptical without some additional supporting evidence suggesting this to be true.

That said, it wouldn't shock me she wasn't happy strictly from the standpoint of feeling like you are leaving in a bubble...and salt in the irritant would be those proclaiming how happy you must be here with your husband in his "dream job" and thus won't ever leave. That would definitely be annoying.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Color me foolish. They have 3 young kids. He will be in Ames for as long as Erica wants to be in Ames. If CMC likes it here, Erica likes it here, and Iowa State likes them here, they will stay here. Color me foolish, I just don't see them uping the kids and relocating knowing "Coach" will never be home at that age. Yes money makes life easier and money can help transition, but he is compensated well. Color me foolish, I may be a dying breed. This isn't just about him. The Coaches wife is his number 1 fan, and she is also his number one boss.

Gotta keep momma happy.
giphy (14).gif

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
9 pages of MSU and no one pulled this gem up? If you haven't heard it, listen. If you have heard it, listen again. You are all welcome.

"MICHIGAN STATE SAT THERE AND CHOKED ON APPLESAUCE!"

Reactions: FatNTired

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
For what its worth, I was listening the Big 12 channel on Sat. radio on my way home from work, Holly Rowe said that she had been at Florida St. a couple of days ago, and she was asking about their head coach opening. She stated that they have told Bob Stoopes, that they will give him anything he wants to take the job. If he turns it down, then they plan on going after Campbell.

FSU is one of those jobs that would be difficult to turn down, great weather, gold mine recruiting area, and its in the ACC. Rowe and the other guy, said that Campbell would win 9 games with their talent in the first year, and with his recruiting FSU and Clemson would then become to two teams fighting it out for the ACC title each year.

Hope the Campbell's love the Midwest, at least for a few more years.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

Love Ames, love Iowa, visit often after living in LA for the past 30 years I could never move back to Iowa

I will move out of LA in the next couple of years, but it will be to another large city.

So I could see if she was bored with the Ames life style after living in a couple of NBA cities.

Does not make Ames a bad place, but sometimes you cannot go home.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Didn't read through the entire thread... but there are exactly 3 jobs that would worry me if they were to open up. Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame. CMC could very well go somewhere else if they backup a truck load of money, but those are the only places that would have me worried from the jump.

Ohio St did open up.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Bret had a few extracurricular activities that were catching up with him throughout the state of WI. I think there was mutual agreement that he needed to move on because of them.

Not that I feel bad for him because he deserves to be treated like crap, but word was also that Barry's generally down whoever's coaching's back or at least around more than welcome. Worked out great for coaches to get out just after the regular seasons so Barry could return to his glory days of coaching Rose Bowls.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wait, this guy:
View attachment 68718

Cheated on this:

images

??

I think actually his marriage was a result of his shenannigans...basically some boosters said here's a trophy wife so you can stop passing out at bars and hitting on co-eds.