My plan to save #CFB

kcbob79clone

Is this really the angle we're going to take? Blame all of this on the WHO, CDC, etc who didn't recommend wearing masks at the start?

There's a VERY good reason they didn't recommend masks at the very start. We didn't have enough supply for everyone. So they were forced to pick the lesser of two evils I'm afraid. They had no good options.

Early on saying masks do nothing to masks 'may' do something, both of which were heard in the early stages, is much much different than masks work we just don't have enough of them so stay home.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Early on saying masks do nothing to masks 'may' do something, both of which were heard in the early stages, is much much different than masks work we just don't have enough of them so stay home.

Okay.... so let's say they didn't know enough yet about the Trump Virus, and they said that masks don't help anything from what they could tell.

But then as they learned more about the Trump Virus, they found out that masks do indeed help, and so they recommended that people wear them.

That's how science works. We once thought that the Sun revolved around the Earth too, and then discovered that wasn't correct. It doesn't mean that we're ever going to go back to believing that the Sun does indeed revolve around the Earth.... because we now know that it's a fact that it doesn't.

So once they had evidence that masks do help a lot.... we all should have worn them. But we didn't.... and now here we are.

Even after they told us that masks were ineffective, we've had plenty of opportunity since then to bring our numbers down like Europe has done.... but we're too privileged, selfish, and stupid in this country to do that evidentally.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why would they communicate it?

You think they should have said.... "we're telling you that masks aren't effective only because we're afraid we're going to run out and not have enough for the hospitals."?

There's also a possibility at the beginning, when they didn't know much at all about the Trump Virus, that they were wrong too (although I still contend they did, but they knew there was a shortage of supply).

But the point is.... at some point fairly early on, they did recommend wearing masks. But people refused to wear them. And then we opened everything back up while cases were still rising nearly everywhere throughout the country.

This is all on us I'm afraid. Europe has shown it can be done.

Here is where they were in late March, advising wearing them only if sick or coughing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html

I think a message of 'We recommend masks in public as they are used in many countries during high virus seasons, but we're short on them at the moment. When they become available, we recommend wearing them in public' without even mentioning the grey area of if they were effective or not. Opening up that grey area imo gave way for people to take it to a whole other level.

Just like calling things 'lock downs', etc., the communication and messaging from all sides in this has been abysmal. It's new and hard to pinpoint things, but a 'This is what we know, this is what we'd like to get to, and this is how we're going to, be aware that it may change' type of deal is at least honest and lets people know where things stand and the stupidity of people would have been at least maybe lessened.

Think about how well Jamie Pollard communicated the plans for football. Agree or not with it, he laid out the foundation for the plan, and left it up to people to decide based on the information available, including a back up plan with allowing for tickets to carry through to the next season. There weren't any committees with 17 point plans with sub-points etc. Just a 'this is what we're doing based on what we know, this is what you can do, and here's what you can do if you decide not to attend'. Most of the reactions iirc on here were 'That's reasonable' even if they didn't agree.

A lot of Europe was also on actual lock down and has just really started easing up. They're not full blown open and it's not gone from there. We'll see what happens as they open up more. I'd bet they see more cases/deaths. I was hoping it would wane off a bit like the original SARS reportedly did but that's not the case.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
You may not grasp how science, especially medical science, is supposed to work.
You may be right......but my DVM degree, clinical veterinary experience, veterinary pathology residency, and masters degree in veterinary microbiology would imply some degree of working knowledge regarding the medical sciences.

But please, enlighten me as to how medical science is supposed to work.....
I probably should've said "how medical response organizations are supposed to work"
The WHO, and CDC, issuing contradictory edicts every few weeks, does little to engender public trust or understanding. It's perfectly reasonable to state something to the effect of "this is what we think we know at this time" with the caveat that they may be wrong or their advice may change. But their advice has been all over the map, which only serves to frustrate and confuse the very people they are supposed to be guiding.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I probably should've said "how medical response organizations are supposed to work"
The WHO, and CDC, issuing contradictory edicts every few weeks, does little to engender public trust or understanding. It's perfectly reasonable to state something to the effect of "this is what we think we know at this time" with the caveat that they may be wrong or their advice may change. But their advice has been all over the map, which only serves to frustrate and confuse the very people they are supposed to be guiding.

Trump saying it was a "hoax" at first..... and then later saying we've only got 15 cases and we've got that under control and will have it down to zero soon.... and even saying today that we've got a few hotspots but we're putting those out.... that has all been MUCH more damaging than anything the WHO or CDC did at the start.

And it's a lie to say they've been going back and forth on their messaging. At the start they didn't think masks helped.... then they discovered they did.... and ever since then they've consistently held that view.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Trump saying it was a "hoax" at first..... and then later saying we've only got 15 cases and we've got that under control and will have it down to zero soon.... and even saying today that we've got a few hotspots but we're putting those out.... that has all been MUCH more damaging than anything the WHO or CDC did at the start.

And it's a lie to say they've been going back and forth on their messaging. At the start they didn't think masks helped.... then they discovered they did.... and ever since then they've consistently held that view.

You're going to get this thread caved.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Just like calling things 'lock downs', etc., the communication and messaging from all sides in this has been abysmal. It's new and hard to pinpoint things, but a 'This is what we know, this is what we'd like to get to, and this is how we're going to, be aware that it may change' type of deal is at least honest and lets people know where things stand and the stupidity of people would have been at least maybe lessened.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Acylum

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You're going to get this thread caved.

My bad.

I think how we're handling, or in our case not handling this virus directly relates to whether or not there will be college football this fall.

But I agree I've probably taken it a bit too far into the political realm. I'll steer it back....

I don't believe we'll see any HS or college football this fall..... prove me wrong.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Is this really the angle we're going to take? Blame all of this on the WHO, CDC, etc who didn't recommend wearing masks at the start?

There's a VERY good reason they didn't recommend masks at the very start. We didn't have enough supply for everyone. So they were forced to pick the lesser of two evils I'm afraid. They had no good options.

If they had told everyone at the start to wear a mask, there wouldn't have been enough for the hospital workers that we needed to save people's lives. So that's why they smartly made that decision.

Europe has proven that wearing masks works. We just have refused to do it in this country.
You'll notice I also blamed politicians who don't strongly push mask wearing. However, we're supposed to be able to trust organizations like the CDC and WHO and that trust was violated. When they said we didn't need to wear masks, it opened the door for people to claim that masks don't work, even after the CDC and WHO reversed their claim.

They should have been honest and said that masks work, but we need to save the high quality masks for healthcare workers so people should make their own if they are able. They lied about mask wearing for the "greater good" in their eyes. That's no different than any other government agency lying or covering up their misdeeds for the "greater good". That's why almost every citizen has an inherent mistrust in the government in the first place.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My bad.

I think how we're handling, or in our case not handling this virus directly relates to whether or not there will be college football this fall.

But I agree I've probably taken it a bit too far into the political realm. I'll steer it back....

I don't believe we'll see any HS or college football this fall..... prove me wrong.

Yeah I don't think it will happen either. I'd love for it...the logistics just don't make sense. I've only experienced a couple of moments of 'normalcy' in this and while it wasn't the same, it was a nice feeling.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You'll notice I also blamed politicians who don't strongly push mask wearing. However, we're supposed to be able to trust organizations like the CDC and WHO and that trust was violated. When they said we didn't need to wear masks, it opened the door for people to claim that masks don't work, even after the CDC and WHO reversed their claim.

They should have been honest and said that masks work, but we need to save the high quality masks for healthcare workers so people should make their own if they are able. They lied about mask wearing for the "greater good" in their eyes. That's no different than any other government agency lying or covering up their misdeeds for the "greater good". That's why almost every citizen has an inherent mistrust in the government in the first place.

OMG.... please don't tell me you believe the bolded sentence above. You can't be that ignorant, right?

Did you see all the people loading up their pickup trucks with 50 cases of toilet paper.... when we were all told to only get what you need?

I give up. Just believe what you want to believe. I can't convince you otherwise obviously. I'll choose to trust the scientists on this, and you can choose to believe what you want.

We'll all get what we deserve in this unfortunately because we're all in this together as one country. It doesn't matter if I do everything I can possibly do if nobody else is going to listen.

As far as this thread goes.... trying to stay on topic a bit..... I see no way there will be any football at all. We can watch European Football (soccer) this fall though since they were smart about it.

kcbob79clone

Here is where they were in late March, advising wearing them only if sick or coughing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/cdc-masks-coronavirus.html

I think a message of 'We recommend masks in public as they are used in many countries during high virus seasons, but we're short on them at the moment. When they become available, we recommend wearing them in public' without even mentioning the grey area of if they were effective or not. Opening up that grey area imo gave way for people to take it to a whole other level.

Think about how well Jamie Pollard communicated the plans for football. Agree or not with it, he laid out the foundation for the plan, and left it up to people to decide based on the information available, including a back up plan with allowing for tickets to carry through to the next season. There weren't any committees with 17 point plans with sub-points etc. Just a 'this is what we're doing based on what we know, this is what you can do, and here's what you can do if you decide not to attend'. Most of the reactions iirc on here were 'That's reasonable' even if they didn't agree.

A lot of Europe was also on actual lock down and has just really started easing up. They're not full blown open and it's not gone from there. We'll see what happens as they open up more. I'd bet they see more cases/deaths. I was hoping it would wane off a bit like the original SARS reportedly did but that's not the case.

Facts in this thread are not allowed, quickest way to the cave

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
OMG.... please don't tell me you believe the bolded sentence above. You can't be that ignorant, right?

Did you see all the people loading up their pickup trucks with 50 cases of toilet paper.... when we were all told to only get what you need?

I give up. Just believe what you want to believe. I can't convince you otherwise obviously. I'll choose to trust the scientists on this, and you can choose to believe what you want.

We'll all get what we deserve in this unfortunately because we're all in this together as one country. It doesn't matter if I do everything I can possibly do if nobody else is going to listen.

As far as this thread goes.... trying to stay on topic a bit..... I see no way there will be any football at all. We can watch European Football (soccer) this fall though since they were smart about it.

I actually don't recall any sort of clear cut message for how people should go about getting food/supplies. People just did it.

Soccer's way easier because there's less physical contact, less players, etc.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I actually don't recall any sort of clear cut message for how people should go about getting food/supplies. People just did it.

Soccer's way easier because there's less physical contact, less players, etc.

Ummmmm.... there's a TON of contact in soccer. But they've been much smarter over there, so they get to have sports. Us.... not so much.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The message on masks hasn’t been confusing for how long?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The message on masks hasn’t been confusing for how long?
I think the masks may not be effective was a thing for about two days. Then people watching not OAN and fox quickly understood it was a shortage

Reactions: diaclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ummmmm.... there's a TON of contact in soccer. But they've been much smarter over there, so they get to have sports. Us.... not so much.

My TV tells me there's a soccer game on tonight. Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls.

Is there as much physicality as football? Are there positions where players are constantly engaged physically with another player literally the entire time? Do they huddle often? Are there 100 soccer players on a team?

Basically which one is easier to work out logistics based on numbers?

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
I posted this on #Twitter

(1/3) My plan to save #CFB. My buddy Steven R. Covey says better to be proactive than reactive so here goes @NCAAFootball @Big12Conference
@SEC @B1Gfootball @pac12 @theACC
- cancel all nonconf games (B1G has already done this) allowing to slip schedule 3-4 weeks

(2/3) - each #Power5 school plays 9 #Power5 games (sorry #GroupOf5 teams)
- no bye weeks allowing season to start as late as possible
- #CFPlayoff expanded to 8 teams with 5 conference champions automatic bids, 3 at large bids. Teams play max 11 games

(3/3) - all bowl games will be held of course
- start with 50% attendance for first conference game and see what happens

So, thoughts
Sounds good, but we're at the point where for public health's sake it's time to cancel.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
My TV tells me there's a soccer game on tonight. Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls.

Is there as much physicality as football? Are there positions where players are constantly engaged physically with another player literally the entire time? Do they huddle often? Are there 100 soccer players on a team?

Basically which one is easier to work out logistics based on numbers?

It’s not even a question. There are no piles, there are no huddles, there are long stretches of a soccer game where certain positions don’t have anyone near them.

Help Support Us

Become a patron