NCAA teams that play 4 players from their own state?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
When I was in Kansas City for the Big 12 WBB tournament, talking to some Texas folks next to me during our game, I made an observation that struck me as really rare.

It is common for Iowa State to have 4 players from Iowa on the floor at the same time (Crooks, Jackson, Joens, Diew).

Is there another WBB or MBB team that commonly plays 4 players from their own state?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When I was in Kansas City for the Big 12 WBB tournament, talking to some Texas folks next to me during our game, I made an observation that struck me as really rare.

It is common for Iowa State to have 4 players from Iowa on the floor at the same time (Crooks, Jackson, Joens, Diew).

Is there another WBB or MBB team that commonly plays 4 players from their own state?

Before Mara Braun got hurt the Gophers started four Minnesota gals (all from the Twin Cities metro) and one freshman from Wisconsin. Five of the main rotation of seven are from Minnesota.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Drake women have 6 i believe of which includes their 2 leading scores

• Informative

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Well, that's disappointing. I post what I think it rare and right away people come up with other occurrences with Minnesota and Drake. Seriously, I think it is pretty cool. Maybe it is a midwest thing (cue the east and west coasters to prove me wrong).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well, that's disappointing. I post what I think it rare and right away people come up with other occurrences with Minnesota and Drake. Seriously, I think it is pretty cool. Maybe it is a midwest thing (cue the east and west coasters to prove me wrong).

Ha, I only knew Minnesota because I live here and the talk is always about keeping the Minnesota state stars home. Think it's a fun question. I sure wouldn't call it common for P5 schools but I don't follow rosters for big state (Texas and California) schools. Now for mid-majors? Sure, took at look and UNI has 10 Iowans but I don't find that surprising.

Made me look at Texas and they have nine Texans and might have had five on the floor at the same time in our title game against them. Still, I'll bet it's more uncommon once you're outside Texas, Florida and California.

• Informative