New Mexico first state to say no high school football

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
You’re looking at it wrong. Any time you get people together that you haven’t been in contact with previously will increase the spread. THAT is the issue. We have to get the spread under control. That should be the only thing guiding policies at this point.
So kids don't go to other school districts or other towns? Kids from Urbandale have jobs in Johnston same for West Des Moines, Waukee, Roosevelt, Lincoln, Norwalk, Indianola etc. So how do you stop this from happening - not so simple.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I don't see that helping with anything.

High school kids here couldn't work out together until July 6th for fall sports, but all summer before that they were playing pick up basketball, baling hay, kayaking/canoeing/tubing, going to pool parties, hanging out at each other's houses, etc all together. Buuuuut we had to make sure the weight room is closed until July 6th for their safety.

Teens will congregate and spread the virus anywhere they are at, so I don't see this measure making any impact at all.

Liability and perceptions

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
pride, come on. You’re all about opening up, and your concern for the loss of life is completely reliant on that.

you should come down and see what your ideas are actually doing to people.

So, no comment. My agenda, if you must, is to alert people to the clear dangers on the other side of the equation. Our situation is most certainly not "do whatever it takes if it saves one life" alone. It is, "how can we save as many lives as possible, while ensuring that we don't destroy more than we save".

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
So, no comment. My agenda, if you must, is to alert people to the clear dangers on the other side of the equation. Our situation is most certainly not "do whatever it takes if it saves one life" alone. It is, "how can we save as many lives as possible, while ensuring that we don't destroy more than we save".

all kinds of comments.

you are firmly in the nonsensical camp of the cure being worse than the disease.

other countries have actually obeyed science and are moving forward with life.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
This doesn’t exactly apply to the football discussion but pertains to why I think sports will be shut down. We can’t guarantee adults will make right decision for kids.

just learned that a metro 12U softball team has a positive case. Coaches and tournament talked with each other and tourney is letting team play (without player obviously), they are playing as I type. Some players from team refused to play obviously so brought in a few subs. Uncertain if parents of other teams were made aware of this.

Doesn’t seem the smartest idea to bring a team with a known case into contact with up to 7 other teams.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Doesn’t seem the smartest idea to bring a team with a known case into contact with up to 7 other teams.

Well, because everyone wants to be "technical".....they never do come into "contact" with each other. No handshake after games....just wave. Foul balls....only person allowed to retrieve ball is a teammate. No fans....NO ONE! So unless "contact" is now defined as running within 10 feet of the opponent as you round the bases...or standing on the same spot as the opposing fielder i.e. center field, you know....tainted grass....they'll be fine.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
As a High School teacher and a Middle School FB Coach this is how I see it in Iowa. There will be less than zero leadership from the state on fall sports. I can see schools trying to play HS football, but getting hammered harder than we are in BB/SB due to contact. No games at the Middle School level, but still having practices and scrimmages so kids still learn the skills.

Most schools will start in person, and most won't have mask required due to the feedback they get from parents who say they won't send kids if mask are required (of course there are also parents who say if masks aren't required they won't send there kids). Schools are in a tough situation with little leadership from the top. You're looking at $8,000/kid in state funding, so if 30% say they aren't sending their kids, schools will have a tough row to hoe. There will be a lack of subs this fall and we will see a high percentage of teachers leave the profession.

That is just my opinion, but I think it'll be ugly.
Appreciate your perspective and agree with many of your comments. My wife is a former teacher and believes there will be many teachers leave the profession and it will be very hard to get subs, as you stated.
I think the currents plan out of des Moines is woefully inadequate, as does my wife and several teachers we know. If people want in person schooling, you need to contact the local school boards, your state representatives and the governors office and demand a good plan that does the best job possible to safeguard students, teachers and staff. It will not be easy.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Well, because everyone wants to be "technical".....they never do come into "contact" with each other. No handshake after games....just wave. Foul balls....only person allowed to retrieve ball is a teammate. No fans....NO ONE! So unless "contact" is now defined as running within 10 feet of the opponent as you round the bases...or standing on the same spot as the opposing fielder i.e. center field, you know....tainted grass....they'll be fine.

I’ve been to a grand total of two softball games this summer so admittedly a small sample. But your description doesn’t match what I saw at all. Sure no handshakes, etc but to think players aren’t in contact with each other is wrong. Friends daughter is a catcher and she got pretty nervous after being coughed on by a batter more than once. Obviously batters didn’t do it on purpose but that’s all it takes.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
No, at this point I really don't believe this is true for everybody. There are a lot of people hoping for No football and school completely online.
Clonedude already made a great reply, but I must add, I do not know anybody who “hopes” for no football or in person school.
I know many people, myself included, who realize that the totally inept response to this pandemic by our country will make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do either safely. Afraid the ship has sailed.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Clonedude already made a great reply, but I must add, I do not know anybody who “hopes” for no football or in person school.
I know many people, myself included, who realize that the totally inept response to this pandemic by our country will make it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do either safely. Afraid the ship has sailed.

People that are confused about why many don't think they're possible or think it's happening because we're all just hoping for it should go read the stories about recent hospitalizations in places like Florida, Texas, AZ and Cali.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I’ve been to a grand total of two softball games this summer so admittedly a small sample. But your description doesn’t match what I saw at all. Sure no handshakes, etc but to think players aren’t in contact with each other is wrong. Friends daughter is a catcher and she got pretty nervous after being coughed on by a batter more than once. Obviously batters didn’t do it on purpose but that’s all it takes.

I understand. I have been to every game this year(almost 20). And that's what I saw in every game. Being in that position, if I was your friend's daughter....and she's that concerned....maybe she should be more concerned with the umpire over her shoulder every pitch.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
I don't see that helping with anything.

High school kids here couldn't work out together until July 6th for fall sports, but all summer before that they were playing pick up basketball, baling hay, kayaking/canoeing/tubing, going to pool parties, hanging out at each other's houses, etc all together. Buuuuut we had to make sure the weight room is closed until July 6th for their safety.

Teens will congregate and spread the virus anywhere they are at, so I don't see this measure making any impact at all.

I get where you're coming from and I'm extremely glad that I'm not a teenager right now (or a parent of teenagers) because it would be extremely hard to figure out what the boundaries should be. While I totally disagree with you on this I think there is a lot of really bad posts from people that are trying to just will this thing away so I respect that you're giving real reasons that make sense for why someone would have a different view.

Reactions: DeereClone

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
Appreciate your perspective and agree with many of your comments. My wife is a former teacher and believes there will be many teachers leave the profession and it will be very hard to get subs, as you stated.
I think the currents plan out of des Moines is woefully inadequate, as does my wife and several teachers we know. If people want in person schooling, you need to contact the local school boards, your state representatives and the governors office and demand a good plan that does the best job possible to safeguard students, teachers and staff. It will not be easy.

I don’t know if you are referring to high school, middle school or elementary in Des Moines but doing much more than what high schools are doing isn’t feasible. Due to the number of students, they can’t handle more than a certain percentage of students in the building. For example, with a student population of 2400+ at Lincoln, grades 9-12, the most that could feasibly be in the building and doing everything perfectly within CDC guidelines is 40% of the student population. Throw in a day where there is a deep cleaning and nobody is in the building, it gets really limited on options.

People need to remember it’s not just an easy fix. In person is obviously the best option but it’s not realistic at this point. You have to do what appears to be the next best thing.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I understand. I have been to every game this year(almost 20). And that's what I saw in every game. Being in that position, if I was your friend's daughter....and she's that concerned....maybe she should be more concerned with the umpire over her shoulder every pitch.

Like I said earlier I’ve only been to two games. But those two the ump did a decent job of staying back to an extent. From what I saw it was first base coaches that were the biggest issue and just first base in general along with home plate.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I don’t know if you are referring to high school, middle school or elementary in Des Moines but doing much more than what high schools are doing isn’t feasible. Due to the number of students, they can’t handle more than a certain percentage of students in the building. For example, with a student population of 2400+ at Lincoln, grades 9-12, the most that could feasibly be in the building and doing everything perfectly within CDC guidelines is 40% of the student population. Throw in a day where there is a deep cleaning and nobody is in the building, it gets really limited on options.

People need to remember it’s not just an easy fix. In person is obviously the best option but it’s not realistic at this point. You have to do what appears to be the next best thing.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I did end my statement saying it would not be easy. That said, I think you always start with the best plan and try to see what it takes to make it happen. There might be a way to accomplish more than first seems possible.
If you must develop a best we can do plan, then that must be judged to determine if it is satisfactory. If not, then you go on line. I know my statements are easy to say, and really hard to do. When I ran some large manufacturing operations, we had a pandemic plan. At the current high rates of infection of a very contagious virus, all plans may fall short. Very tough situation, but I feel you must error on the side of safety. So, I understand and agree with your points.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

Just got a note from nephews in Phoenix. They start school 01Aug - 100% on line. Of course Arizona is a super disaster, which we may match as we approach 800/day.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Just got a note from nephews in Phoenix. They start school 01Aug - 100% on line. Of course Arizona is a super disaster, which we may match as we approach 800/day.

people don’t realize how far behind the death reports are. We just passed 100 a day in Texas. but that was what was reported from before.

By August 1, we may very well be right there with you at that number.

be safe

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron