New Uniforms Revealed

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
isuuu-01.png

Here are the numbers from the last 3 seasons as well as the trademarked font used by ISU. It's pretty obvious to me (a professional graphic designer) that they tweaked the numbers for the 2018 season. Look at the angles I've circled plus the gap in the bottom of the 5.
I am confident it is the same typeface. It's the Cyclone typeface that has been the standard across the athletics program since the reveal of the I-State logo. You will have seen very small variations within this font family for 12 years on all sorts of jerseys in different sports, signage, marketing materials, etc. and possibly just didn't notice :) I agree that this particular font 'iteration' of the jersey matches the specific font variation within the Cyclone typeface of the original new-Chizik-I-State-USC-jerseys. And I really like it. I HATED the variant we had prior to last year with the elongated/stretched numbers and the butt-ugly extended shoulder stripes. I will miss the black collar. I think it's mistake getting rid of that. It paired extremely well with the black shoes, socks, helmet, etc. The Baylor home game look last year was a sweet uni combo. Could be the lighting in photos from this week, but these new jersey's look (unfortunately) brighter and less cardinal-y, and I'm not sure we'll see the black shoes/socks look with the cardinal/cardinal/cardinal combo anymore at Home. I HOPE we do, but I could see them going white shoes, which will look like the Seneca era, i.e. attack of the killer tomatoes. Those were brutal.

Edit: Just notice the Cyclone Equip twitter appears to have black socks in the photo. Nice. Sorry coach, I still like talking about uniforms :eek:

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I am confident it is the same typeface. It's the Cyclone typeface that has been the standard across the athletics program since the reveal of the I-State logo. You will have seen very small variations within this font family for 12 years on all sorts of jerseys in different sports, signage, marketing materials, etc. and possibly just didn't notice :) I agree that this particular font 'iteration' of the jersey matches the specific font variation within the Cyclone typeface of the original new-Chizik-I-State-USC-jerseys. And I really like it. I HATED the variant we had prior to last year with the elongated/stretched numbers and the butt-ugly extended shoulder stripes. I will miss the black collar. I think it's mistake getting rid of that. It paired extremely well with the black shoes, socks, helmet, etc. The Baylor home game look last year was a sweet uni combo. Could be the lighting in photos from this week, but these new jersey's look (unfortunately) brighter and less cardinal-y, and I'm not sure we'll see the black shoes/socks look with the cardinal/cardinal/cardinal combo anymore at Home. I HOPE we do, but I could see them going white shoes, which will look like the Seneca era, i.e. attack of the killer tomatoes. Those were brutal.

Edit: Just notice the Cyclone Equip twitter appears to have black socks in the photo. Nice. Sorry coach, I still like talking about uniforms :eek:

The elongated/stretched numbers were a Nike thing. If you look at every Nike team, while the jersey designs are relatively the same, they make minor tweaks every season. I doubt we get any say in it. I agree about the jerseys looking less cardinal-y. Hope that's not the case. I wasn't a huge fan of all the black, but it did give us a unique look.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

This was my exact worry with the new jerseys as well. They look like a brighter red compared to last year, and not "cardinal". I really hope it's just the lighting as you say because when we went from bright red to the darker cardinal- that was one of the very best things we've ever done.

If this new jersey is a brighter red, it would be a HUGE step backwards and much uglier.

CySanka3

Jan 15, 2014
Chicago
Is the new yellow sleeve stripe like a chargers lightning bolt looking thing? Or is it just the way the jersey is laid out in those pics?

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Yeah I agree with this more than anything... same font, just bold style.

Although the new 6s there have a double swirl instead of the left side being a straight line perpendicular to the edge.

isuuu-01.png

Here are the numbers from the last 3 seasons as well as the trademarked font used by ISU. It's pretty obvious to me (a professional graphic designer) that they tweaked the numbers for the 2018 season. Look at the angles I've circled plus the gap in the bottom of the 5.

Good eyes!

#TopContent! (Not sarcastic at all, I examine them too, and for re record do not prefer the larger/wider numbers, but the additional swirling is good ;) )

Last edited:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I’m with you. Wondering if there are changes to the pants. They were super plain last year.

I kind of like the two shaded numbers because it’s different. Anyone else do that?
We don’t take enough advantage of being the only “Cyclone” in the NCAA.
Well the pants look plain again this year, according to this video.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
a01 c9 - w r w  Col 01 12Redface RedSocksw.png I do think the sleeve (gold in this case) is different than last years design, so will have to modify this some, need to see a few more pics.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What I would give for a set of gold pants to go with this set.

If people are adverse to gold jerseys or other elements for various reasons, I get it, but pairing up gold pants with our current setups...

C - C - G
C - W - G
W - W - G
W - C - G even

...would be beautiful.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Not saying we are getting gold pants, btw...

So who is going to start a new 2019 uniform thread? I think this one has run its course.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

New this year is the players home state flag sticker added to helmets.

This is a stroke of genius, imo. If you're in a small (talent pool) state and you have to go out and get guys like ISU does...why not OWN it. I think it's really cool.

I'd even go so far as patches on the front of the jersey like Army & Navy do with unit patches.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
What I would give for a set of gold pants to go with this set.

If people are adverse to gold jerseys or other elements for various reasons, I get it, but pairing up gold pants with our current setups...

C - C - G
C - W - G
W - W - G
W - C - G even

...would be beautiful.
I might be in the minority here but I don't really like the three-color variations. It doesn't look "uniform" enough to me.

I like combos like C-W-C, W-W-C, B-C-C, etc. over something like W-C-G or C-W-G.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I might be in the minority here but I don't really like the three-color variations. It doesn't look "uniform" enough to me.

I like combos like C-W-C, W-W-C, B-C-C, etc. over something like W-C-G or C-W-G.

That is a fair critique, and I adore our C-W-W and C-W-C and W-W-W looks.

But even if only for this, making these pants gold...

AR-180929854.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

...would look way better than the unbalanced colors above.

Akron going all-white did not help things, either, I suppose.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah