Iowa State Uniform Discussions

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
IMO, these are the best helmets we've ever worn, and it's not all that close.....

USATSI_10302593.jpg
Man do I not miss those jerseys though. What we have now is 100x better.

Reactions: Cy37

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Thought process, Orrnado helmet illustrated: Pic 1, @amestoplease Orrnado/Cyclone, Rt. side mirror image of Lt. (not intended this way but I wanted to see it). The mirror image on Rt. does not look good (maybe because we never see it this way!). I rounded the side points a bit, my preference but I like the sharper points too. Pic 2, shows the same Orrnado on both sides. I modified the cant, tilting the Orrnado backward to make it more level, more symmetry. Pic 3, modification of turning the bottom tip of Right-side Orrnado to point rearward. I like this a little better, also gives a bit more symmetry. Now both Ornado/Cyclones have the illusion of moving forward.
CyUni 2031  b1 P1 23- w w w OrrCyLogo1BilSidesMirrorImageUncantedRedfaceWhtStick2026.png CyUni 2031  b1 P1 23- w w w OrrCyLogo2BilCantedRedfaceWhtStick2026.png CyUni 2030  b1 P1 23- w w w OrrCyLogoBilSidesCantedRtModified.png

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'd still rather not give up on us having an Orrnado/Cyclone-type alternate logo. Perhaps someone who is close to our AD, Jamie, could talk to him again? Many of us have approached him in the past. Maybe the time is right now? Fan support for a Cyclone/Orrnado could be overwhelming IMO. It is a given that the I-STATE would and should continue as the primary logo, and it could be stipulated to use the I-STATE most of the time. Added gear and apparel sales/income with an Orrnado logo on it should be welcomed I would think. Actually I think sales would go thru the roof. What's not to like about that in these monetarily depressed times?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
My apologies if I tend to get on a roll. No need to agree.

My feeling/idea on the white pant is to keep two of them. We already have two, the C/G logo and Swoosh one, and the Black one, both with no stripes. They are so similar. We need one w/ stripes.
I say let's keep two white pants, both having the black logo and Swoosh, but one with stripes! That would give us a lot of options. Some of them here:
CyUni 2030  b1 B1 23- w w w OrrCyRtHelWhtfaceWhtStickBlkTextWhtS.png CyUni 2030  a9 B1 92- w b w  BlkWht BlkfaceWhtStickBlkTextWhtS.png CyUni 2030  a9 B1 15- w b w  BlkIStLogoHel BlkfaceWhtStickRedTextWhtS.png CyUni 2030  b1 C1 28- w w w OrrCySidesIStRearHelWhtfaceWhtStickBlkTextWhtS.png CyUni 2030  c7 wbYC1 28- r r w BlkfaceBBW WhtS YWG8Sl.png CyUni 2030  c9 yrWC1 8- w r w RedfaceWhtStickStdIStBlkTextWhtS.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Snydes and cyence

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Are we not likely to see anything new this fall due to Covid 19 budget restrictions, or is this something that could be funded by the Gridiron Club?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Are we not likely to see anything new this fall due to Covid 19 budget restrictions, or is this something that could be funded by the Gridiron Club?

I would think being thankful about having football at all would be the bigger priority, and as such I wouldn’t count on too much expansion of alternates.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Lillibridge_Marc_5-2-1200x803.jpg

Still can't believe GCG is not an option.
Campbell wanted to establish his own uniform set, the addition of black, and without gold (other than numbers, trim). There are only so many uniform combo options to be had, up to six home, six away each year. Gold got the pinch...for now.
Also it might be true that Campbell is just not a fan of gold or our particular shade of gold; speculation but likely true? I can't really blame him. Sometimes our gold is hard to swallow, bright. This is especially true I think with large swaths like jersey, pant or even helmet., versus trim alone. He (Coach) has certainly done away w/ that!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think there is a solution to the gold debate. It might take some compromise by the AD who has said before that the current color scheme would not be changing. Well he has allowed the addition of black. That is a big change, black being a neutral color (like white), but a big change, addition nonetheless. The cardinal and gold did not change.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
...In the same way that we added black, we could add a shade of gold that we have had in the past. Everybody seems to like the early '70's gold we had, I call it '76 gold. Do this, add 76 gold, and keep the current gold we have also. Problem solved. And I think our coach might be more inclined to order some gold sets if the gold wasn't as bright.

Current gold in our logo, stationary, gear and apparel would not have to change; leave it alone. Sport teams would have a choice between which shade of gold to primarily use for uniforms. It would be specified that there will always be some current gold in the set, whether it be primary or secondary/accent. An obvious exception to this rule would be the black-out or all black unis that we have now.

Of course I have examples...

Cyfern

Sep 26, 2019
...In the same way that we added black, we could add a shade of gold that we have had in the past. Everybody seems to like the early '70's gold we had, I call it '76 gold. Do this, add 76 gold, and keep the current gold we have also. Problem solved. And I think our coach might be more inclined to order some gold sets if the gold wasn't as bright.

Current gold in our logo, stationary, gear and apparel would not have to change; leave it alone. Sport teams would have a choice between which shade of gold to primarily use for uniforms. It would be specified that there will always be some current gold in the set, whether it be primary or secondary/accent. An obvious exception to this rule would be the black-out or all black unis that we have now.

Of course I have examples...
We could do soooo much more with our uniforms. Great colors and logo. Blah uniforms.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
We could do soooo much more with our uniforms. Great colors and logo. Blah uniforms.
Agreed. I don't think they are too far off from having better uniforms but I am not confident they will do what is needed to fine tune the uniforms to better, or even to make a more bold statement by doing something different.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here are just 3 simple examples of how the current uniforms could be altered just slightly, to make them better, current vs. possible, c/c/c, b/c/c, c/c/w. Not that much change is needed: CyUni 2029  c1 0  8- r r r RedfaceRRB RedSocks.png CyUni 2030  c1 A17b rbY2 8- r r r RedfaceRRB RedSksYWG8Sl.png CyUni 2030  c2 0  42- b r r BlkfaceRBB BlkSocks.png CyUni 2030  c2 A17b wbY 42- b r r BlkfaceRBB BlkSksYWG8Sl.png CyUni 2030  c7 0  28- r r w RedfaceRRB WhtScks.png CyUni 2030  c7 wbYC1 28- r r w BlkfaceBBW WhtS YWG8Sl P.png

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
To go just a little bolder, adding a gold set, lets say a 76 gold (keeping current gold also), we could have a c/c/g instead of c/c/w: CyUni 2030  c10 A48bW wbY 28- r r y BlkfaceBBW PGSksYWG8Sl.png

The g/c/g is even better IMO.

Reactions: bgprest

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If y'all join premium you get conversions that don't include "shades of gold" debate
I'd probably join, so we could carry that conversation there too! Haha.

Just for you mtown, I give you this: CyUni 2030  c12y 0  12- y r y RedfaceRRW RedScks.png current gold, vs. CyUni 2030  c12y A48bW rbY2  12- y r y RdfaceRRW RdSksYWG8Sl.png 76 gold and current gold numbers/trim. It is a pretty large difference.

Not trying to make fun or anything, I just think it is a very difficult subject. I also think we are all pretty happy w/ current coach and progress of football program. In time though, now or five years from now, many of us will be even more desirous of a gold set.

All I'm saying is that if we are to go back to a darker shade of gold (one that we've had before) now might be the time to do it, while Campbell is here. Going to just a current gold/yellow set at some point point, more than half of us will still *itch and moan.

My proposal is to go gold but keep both current and darker gold. It's worth discussing as I don't think it has been brought up before as an option. I don't think it has to be an either / or thing.

Reactions: bgprest

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron