Iowa State Uniform Discussions

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I would believe that CMC doesn't like gold (yellow), but that sure wasn't the case when he was at Toledo.

Also... the best thing I could ever envision for a new ISU look would resemble this.....

BNG-L-49ERS-1028-60-1.jpg

HNNFWMTBSNE27IPAYQMXUPF7VI.PNG

GettyImages-1025421896-775x465.jpg

Could someone with some awesome photoshop skills turn the 49ers uniforms into ISU uniforms??

Reactions: ISUCE

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'd probably join, so we could carry that conversation there too! Haha.

Just for you mtown, I give you this: View attachment 71673 current gold, vs. View attachment 71674 76 gold and current gold numbers/trim. It is a pretty large difference.

Not trying to make fun or anything, I just think it is a very difficult subject. I also think we are all pretty happy w/ current coach and progress of football program. In time though, now or five years from now, many of us will be even more desirous of a gold set.

All I'm saying is that if we are to go back to a darker shade of gold (one that we've had before) now might be the time to do it, while Campbell is here. Going to just a current gold/yellow set at some point point, more than half of us will still *itch and moan.

My proposal is to go gold but keep both current and darker gold. It's worth discussing as I don't think it has been brought up before as an option. I don't think it has to be an either / or thing.

76 gold please. So much better than the hot piss yellow we have now

Reactions: ISUCE

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
...Also... the best thing I could ever envision for a new ISU look would resemble this.....

HNNFWMTBSNE27IPAYQMXUPF7VI.PNG

GettyImages-1025421896-775x465.jpg

Could someone with some awesome photoshop skills turn the 49ers uniforms into ISU uniforms??
Not sure why you and some people are so into 49ers unis? Yeah they are OK, the g/r/g they have is classic. ISU is never going to go to a 49ers or Florida State gold however, at least not while Jamie is here. Nor would most fans probably want that. So I don't know why you would want to waste a photoshoppers time? That said I would look at it for curiosity, which is a lot of what I like to do.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The white numbers look great with certain combos. White numbers w/ current cardinal set just doesn't look right to me yet though. I've tried a cardinal pant and helmet with a white stripe, and I can't get it to look right either. It would need a complete redesign to what we have now to look decent. So this, CyUni 2030  c1 A19b yrW 42- r r r BlkfaceRBB G8Sks.png = not good. That's why I was thinking carrying two cardinal jerseys as an option, one w/ white numbers, one w/ gold.

If someone wants to photoshop something, I'd be interested in a c/c/c with some white in helmet, jersey, pant. Then how would that look w/ other combos Campbell likes to use?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not sure why you and some people are so into 49ers unis? Yeah they are OK, the g/r/g they have is classic. ISU is never going to go to a 49ers or Florida State gold however, at least not while Jamie is here. Nor would most fans probably want that. So I don't know why you would want to waste a photoshoppers time? That said I would look at it for curiosity, which is a lot of what I like to do.

I realize JP would probably never to it, so it likely is a mute point, however, our colors are cardinal and GOLD, not yellow.

It's probably why my favorite ISU uniforms were in 1981 and 1982......

hqdefault.jpg

HAXUdjHewZRvKM8eZFP2X4Rxm86k0hXdotzqj-e9FuuurIczxGvsHwDBN_0qecBdrzoNSN0vy4VwPj6KCjsAYV7mfB_1XUHNLrnvWqCvpYwfaiJ3WMwm

Now that is a LOT closer to gold than what we've ever had IMO.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer and ISUCE

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I realize JP would probably never to it, so it likely is a mute point, however, our colors are cardinal and GOLD, not yellow.

hqdefault.jpg

HAXUdjHewZRvKM8eZFP2X4Rxm86k0hXdotzqj-e9FuuurIczxGvsHwDBN_0qecBdrzoNSN0vy4VwPj6KCjsAYV7mfB_1XUHNLrnvWqCvpYwfaiJ3WMwm

Right, but it's still pretty far from the shiny gold that SF and FSU use, which would be a significant departure from the school colors historically. If you want to argue the semantics of the word "gold", that's fine, but the SF/FSU gold isn't ISU. Never has been and never should be.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

hqdefault.jpg

Here is a link for past ISU uniforms: https://cycloneuniforms.weebly.com/1981.html

Anybody have a better color pic of that 81-82 set?

Actually the 76 gold that I am using now is just a close approximation of the gold I felt we were using in mid 70's. I used some of the '76 Beat Iowa, and '76 Throwback pics to get close. I think this '81 gold is very similar, if not the same. Please don't rely on me to get the shade right, haha!

Point is lets use that shade of gold circa '72-'82, let's say, which is very historical and very Cyclone. If anyone is just jumping in now, lets also keep our current shade of gold. We can have both I think.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
When was that Throwback 76 uniform again (against Iowa)? I'm thinking around 2007 or so but I could be way off.

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 5.03.13 PM copy.png
Here is a link for past ISU uniforms: https://cycloneuniforms.weebly.com/1981.html

Actually the 76 gold that I am using now is just a close approximation of the gold I felt we were using in mid 70's. I used some of the '76 Beat Iowa, and '76 Throwback pics to get close. I think this '81 gold is very similar, if not the same. Please don't rely on me to get the shade right, haha!

Point is lets use that shade of gold circa '72-'82, let's say, which is very historical and very Cyclone. If anyone is just jumping in now, lets also keep our current shade of gold. We can have both I think.

Draf

Jun 8, 2017

David Archer.jpg

Draf

Jun 8, 2017

1981 team captains marcus butts and john quinn 02 cropped.png

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Right, but it's still pretty far from the shiny gold that SF and FSU use, which would be a significant departure from the school colors historically. If you want to argue the semantics of the word "gold", that's fine, but the SF/FSU gold isn't ISU. Never has been and never should be.
Iowa State did wear that shade of gold up until 1967 when Johnny Majors arrived. The next (and best ) shade of gold was worn by ISU from 1967-1983. I call it "sunflower" gold because i don't know what it is. The current shade came with Jim Criner (along with that stupid tornado that Johnny Orr never used) in 1983 along with a fire engine red.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron