Iowa State Uniform Discussions

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
The number font is the same and hasn’t changed - the font itself is still unique to Iowa State. Only difference is they (thankfully) removed that weird swirl thing, which never made any sense, and has never been used anywhere else, on any of our other jerseys in any other sport.
Well yeah that's what I mean, the swirl thing. I kinda liked it, made sense cuz cyclones and stuff but maybe doesnt work well with this uniform which seems to be a throwback with straight lines and 90 deg angles. Nothing on this uniform says Iowa State Cyclones to me (besides the literal 'Iowa State' on the front ;))

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Well yeah that's what I mean, the swirl thing. I kinda liked it, made sense cuz cyclones and stuff but maybe doesnt work well with this uniform which seems to be a throwback with straight lines and 90 deg angles. Nothing on this uniform says Iowa State Cyclones to me (besides the literal 'Iowa State' on the front ;))
Fair.

To each his own. I thought it looked really stupid.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
To add - once again - the beveled I-State on the helmet looks so freaking stupid. And in general. Why, why, why did graphic designers INSIST that was such a ****ing important concept back in the 00’s!?
I think it's an example of some "over engineering" something that is meant to be simple, recognizable, and timeless.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Wait... are these gonna be our uniforms in the new NCAA Football Video Game coming out in a couple months?

If so, how did we keep that secret?

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
CYCLONES on the front would look cool. Since there is already an I STATE on the helmet.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
Is that helmet photo shopped? Don't be getting my hopes up like that...
Photoshopped from a concept man cave helmet, yes. Pant stripes from an old Dexter Green photo, colorized to match. Just having some fun.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Wish the shoulder stripes were more subtle. I can see it looking just….white on tv. If you’re gonna do shoulder stripes why not stripes on the pants? @t-noah had beautiful multi color stripes that were subtle in his mocks.
We can start working on the next change now. :)

Yeah, I thought no stripes in the pants (white pant for sure, possibly the cardinal pant as well (and the gold), was a strong possibility. The black pants do not need a stripe! That is for certain, I think.

But they were limited in what they could do, with the selection of the 5 stripe (white predominant) shoulder stripe. With that pick, Stripes were a little more busy and hard to figure. So they went no pant helmet stripes, again.

The no stripe (pant and shoulder) has a certain value. It's a cleaner, more basic look. Check that box anyway. The maintenance on the helmets are easier. I would have liked to have seen a stripe in the helmet or pant.

Next time!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Like others, I am whelmed. We keep searching for the "forever design," we keep failing to find it. New ones in 6-10 years, rinse, wash and repeat.
Agree. And I don't think will ever be a school that has one long-standing classic design. Our mold has been set.